Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Redcat Racing BackDraft 8E 1/8 Scale Brushless Electric Buggy

This actually looks interesting:

DESCRIPTION:

BackDraft 8E 1/8 Scale Brushless Electric Buggy
Liven up your weekend bashing adventures with the BackDraft 8E from Redcat Racing! This 1/8 scale brushless electric buggy includes 2 LIPO batteries, LIPO battery charger and everything else you need at a price that is hard to beat.
Specifications:

Motor Type Electric Brushless 8T 2400RPM 540
Drive System 4 Wheel Drive
Length 490mm
Width 305mm
Height 190mm
Wheelbase 325mm F/R
Ground Clearance 30mm
Chassis Type 3.0mm 6061 Aluminum
Shocks Oil filled Big Bore Shocks
Speed Control Brushless ESC EZRUN-80A
Battery Dual LIPO 7.4V Batteries (20c 3200Mah 2s) & Charger Included
Radio System 2 Channel AM
http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=backdraft8E
Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You've been reading my posts again!

I asked in Redcat's support forum about a few things -

It has standard wheel hexes for 1/8 scale buggy wheels.
It uses phillips screw hardware.
Almost the entire buggy is plastic, from the factory, even shocks and shock towers. Only a 3mm chassis. You can replace shock towers, wheel hubs, etc with aluminum upgrade parts from that site, to the tune of $10-30 per piece. Not sure how I really feel about this, but I guess it helps lower the entry level. I do like how dirt cheap the plastic replacement parts are, though.

I started talking my brother into getting one and he was really liking the looks of it, especially after watching the videos. That way at least he'd have something of relatively similar performance to my Hyper 9E so we can have more fun at the track, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to just wait for the Inferno VE. It'll only be another $130ish (plus batteries and charger I guess, unless you already have them). Since it's based on the Inferno 7.5, it should be really easy to get parts, comparatively.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Legend

yeah, I chased the link and was shocked at the price considering what all is included. It would need to live up to durability expectations as I can see the price making it a bashers dream.

It would be something though if they ran with this design and made a pro version, all loaded up with quality stuff.

The undertray makes me wonder if one could be molded for the Hyper 9E with the bump outs for the channels running on the chassis.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
yeah, I chased the link and was shocked at the price considering what all is included. It would need to live up to durability expectations as I can see the price making it a bashers dream.

It would be something though if they ran with this design and made a pro version, all loaded up with quality stuff.

The undertray makes me wonder if one could be molded for the Hyper 9E with the bump outs for the channels running on the chassis.
Yeah, I couldn't believe <$300 with two lipos and brushless power and everything. Hobbywing 80A ESC isn't bad..maybe a tad underpowered. Couldn't find much info on the motor, though.

Are you thinking their undertray actually goes under the chassis? To me it just looks like it's screwed to holes at the sides of the chassis plate or something.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Legend

your probably right now I look at the pic more about the under tray. Oh well. Its interesting I will say that.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Not to keen on Redcat, but i do have to say the layout is nice
Old 09-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JATOdriver
Not to keen on Redcat, but i do have to say the layout is nice
It does remind me of the Caster quite a bit...
Old 09-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

someone needs to ACTUALLY buy one.....because the brand jockies are headed this way to bash the buggy.

i think if someone gets one, and it last, it'll help them sell better.....i mean, i'd love to have one for a back up basher lol...i've got an 8-e 2.0 to race with...but it'd be fun to have a buggy to bash
Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Legend

main thing I see with it that gives it that caster look is the saddle layout. Then again, not too many ways to do a saddle layout to the rear, so any vehicle using that layout will look alittle alike with each other.

I think the things I am interested in on the vehicle is how they retain the batteries, and does the chassis provide full protection for them, with no part of the battery or tray portruding past the chassis plate. I think that pretty much was the only thing on the Caster vehicle that I really didnt' like.

Does Redcat have a racing team?

it was posted on rcuniverse that this pic of another vehicle uses the same chassis (or at least looks the same) from below:

Old 09-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
main thing I see with it that gives it that caster look is the saddle layout. Then again, not too many ways to do a saddle layout to the rear, so any vehicle using that layout will look alittle alike with each other.

I think the things I am interested in on the vehicle is how they retain the batteries, and does the chassis provide full protection for them, with no part of the battery or tray portruding past the chassis plate. I think that pretty much was the only thing on the Caster vehicle that I really didnt' like.

Does Redcat have a racing team?

it was posted on rcuniverse that this pic of another vehicle uses the same chassis (or at least looks the same) from below:

That pic is of there Corr Truck. I do like the slim chassis though.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vnmsgt
That pic is of there Corr Truck. I do like the slim chassis though.
I don't think it's as slim as you think it is...I think the CORR truck is just that much wider than the buggy.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Legend

From what someone on rcuniverse said, the chassis is similar to the buggy. I guess will just have to wait and see what the pics looks like.

The edges of the chassis relative to the position of the arms just looks slim.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just received a Red Cat Racing Brushless Aftershock 8e to test on RC ShortCourse this afternoon!

Last edited by Crawler; 09-11-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My local Hobby Towne carries Red Cat Racing. They have a good selection of parts and it seems like they sell a ton of them.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looks interesting! I have to wonder about the batteries though. 20C 3200's, that is only 64Amps and they are using a pretty hot motor (2400 rpm/v).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.