Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Swapping from TLR to....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 05:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Swapping from TLR to....

Morning and Salutations! I recently got back into the Sport and Loaded myself up with TLR stuff. But Im coming to the realization that they dont have the support im looking for So im going to be making a full swap ( 4wheel buggy, 2wheel buggy, 4w sct 2w sct) The Xray Products have really caught my eye , all of their platforms seems well supported and their parts are easily available online. On the Other hand AE might be an easier transition , although they look like they are pulling the plug on their sct lines as well.

So id love some information or insight on racers experiences with XRAY and or AE during the past 4-5 years. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2023, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you really want all these four car categories from the same company, Xray is out, as they don't offer a 4WD Short Course Truck (only a 4WD Stadium Truck). IIRC AE, while they do offer 4WD SCT, it's not on the same level as their race grade 2WD SCT. So do you race?
Old 05-09-2023, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Old 05-09-2023, 06:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the Reply! Yes all of the selections will be for track/race usage. i have a Mix of outdoor loose/loamy outdoor tracks. and High bite Clay/carpet indoor off road all within 2 hours of me.

I thought xray had a 4w sct platform. but if i have to drop a chassis . it seems 4w sct has gotten pretty slow. So i could make an adjustment for that.. Looks like i have some more research to do! but again, any insight would be useful! thanks!

Last edited by Hyjaxx9; 05-09-2023 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

They do have a mini truggy the XT4.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hunterdawg
They do have a mini truggy the XT4.
Yes...

Originally Posted by DirkW
(only a 4WD Stadium Truck)
Old 05-09-2023, 08:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DirkW
Yes...
yall are correct. I was thinking about the tekno 4x4 sct. Im going to take a couple weeks to weigh in on everything then make a choice. Being out of the sport for over a decade means i really have to catch back up as far as trends and products are concerned. Thanks again for any insight you might have!

Last edited by Hyjaxx9; 05-09-2023 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Well, Tekno doesn't have any 2WD cars that I am aware of. However, both Xray and AE produce very good vehicles. Parts support in the US appears to be much better for AE, especially in local hobby shops. Xray is also the more expensive route, both in initial cost and in spare parts.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You said you didn't like TLR due to the lack of support. AE, hands down, has the most support. Xray is second. They both offer the same offroad styles you are looking for except the 4wd SCT, which you have noticed is becoming a dying class. If I were to choose, I would go with AE due to the extra support. If you ever wish to do on-road, then go with Xray. They do both off-road and on-road.
Rcdad42 likes this.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

be advised if looking for a Truggy , the Xray XT4 is indeed a fine vehicle if you are a PERFECT driver. the front arms are vey fragile . I recently replaced the front arms on mine with PR 9500016. required a few mods but now seems bulletproof. If looking for a stronger out of the box , go with Tekno
Old 07-03-2023, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm curious - What aspect of TLR "support" did you find lacking?
Old 07-05-2023, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by simple
I'm curious - What aspect of TLR "support" did you find lacking?

I'm guessing it has to do with it being an older platform and is quickly losing popularity. At the track, many racers like the option of being able to swap/buy/barrow parts from other racers when needed. It's also pretty convenient to have a larger number of racers, around you, that race the same platform. It makes it easy to get tuning suggestions. This is what highly hindered Kyosho from making it bigger at the local tracks.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I'm guessing it has to do with it being an older platform and is quickly losing popularity. At the track, many racers like the option of being able to swap/buy/barrow parts from other racers when needed. It's also pretty convenient to have a larger number of racers, around you, that race the same platform. It makes it easy to get tuning suggestions. This is what highly hindered Kyosho from making it bigger at the local tracks.
Makes sense. I'd argue the relevance of the age of the platform - TLR is still totally relevant and just as adjustable in comparison to the other manufacturers.
However, I totally GET the Local support aspect of having other drivers with the same platform and local/team setup and parts support - Our "local" offroad track has NO onsite hobby shop, and only one manufacturer representative (SWORKZ). If you're not on the bandwagon - its very easy to quickly be SOL on a raceday.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by simple
Makes sense. I'd argue the relevance of the age of the platform - TLR is still totally relevant and just as adjustable in comparison to the other manufacturers.
However, I totally GET the Local support aspect of having other drivers with the same platform and local/team setup and parts support - Our "local" offroad track has NO onsite hobby shop, and only one manufacturer representative (SWORKZ). If you're not on the bandwagon - its very easy to quickly be SOL on a raceday.

We all know it's still just as competitive as AE, Xray, etc... Just like Kyosho's RB7 and ZX7, all the latest updates can simply be purchased. Having the newest car is more of a fashion statement than a racing statement. Kinda like having 3 year old Jordans. They just don't have the same bling as the new ones.
nitrous36 and simple like this.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have an XB4 ‘21 and it is the best handling car I’ve driven. But as everyone else is saying, getting parts spare parts in the U.S. adds up quick - especially shock towers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.