R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default Kyosho ZX5 FS, I need a review

I'm wanting to get another 4wd car for this winter. It is between this and a B44. I personally love Kyosho's quality, and the shocks are 10X better to build IMO. Is the front end (hub and Carrier) on the FS more durable than the SP? Are the shock tower mounts stronger or will I have to buy aluminum ones again? How much better handling is this car than the SP?
drewmugx5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have driven both and they handle identical to me, any way. Suspension is better than the B44 with either the FS or SP, though that is no secret.

Personally I would buy which ever one suits your budget best. Also keep in mind parts availability. Its easier to get parts for the b44 than the koysho, though if that doesnt matter - its not even an issue.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Tech Regular

I'm going to buy new so they cost the same, as long as the Kyosho doesn't need all the hop ups I had to buy on the SP such as lunsford turnbuckles, alum. shock tower mounts, and CF shock towers. I loved my SP, I just need to know if the FS is more durable. I know that they changed the shock tower mounts, and the hubs. Don't know if they come with better turnbuckles.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Tech Master

The shock tower mounts are definately very durable. I've only had 2 crack since november (they did not break, you can notice the crack before and change them, cheap change too).

Hubs I cannot tell but I've not broken any in a while either. In fact I've only had the 2 aforementioned parts crack and a rear wing mount as breakages all outdoors season (that's since march).

As for the turnbuckles, the FS kit comes with brand new turnbuckles and ball joints (similar to those off the HB D4) so no need to upgrade them. In fact I don't think you need to buy any option on the FS...
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Cool thanks that's what I needed to know, I guess that is what I'm going to get. Any other input is still appreciated.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
Tech Regular

anyone else, it seems like these cars are kind of rare out there based on the response.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

You won't go wrong on either versions, the SP (stick pack) or the FS (saddle pack). Kyosho makes very good beefy cars. I have an RB5 and a ZX5 SP with KMC conversion and they are very strong cars IMHO. I like them so much that I also got an RT5 to complete the trio! With the present driving skill I have, I don't break as many parts as I did on other brands. I've driven almost all of them. The most important thing is you have to got good parts support for the car you'll be running and of course friends here who could guide you with the proper set-up to race with. Good luck!
ambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Tech Regular

bump, would like to hear a little more input
Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)

I have owned both.....1 big difference for me was the Kyosho handles rougher surfaces better. The FS is plenty durable so my choice would be the Kyosho all the way.
92 vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Default OK

I've been whooped by both. But, I can tell you, the FS is, for sure, a better ruff track car and holds its own on a smooth one, where, perhaps, a zx5 might hold its own as well. I implore you. to watch this year's roar nats 4wd on youtube. Tebo seems to have an unfair advantage, one that our local kyosho driver, BM, here in NEO, seems to enjoy, every in a medium rough medium smooth low traction track.

Ps, long story short, run the FS. It does it all.
raj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll let you know how my zx-5 fs does at the track for the first time on wed