Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RACE ENTRY FEE COST QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Maybe I'm missing something but Is this going to be an onsite hobbyshop as well along with the indoor track. Open everyday, limited hours, just for racedays and maybe a practice day or what? I don't mean to bug you and don't have a definate solution. You truly are taking a huge gamble. I don't know your whole situation either though. The simple answer is, I don't think anybody really knows what you should charge YOU'RE going to have to find out what works where you are and for what you have to offer. In my 20 years it's always been that the track is there to bring people in to spend money in the hobbyshop, the money is made in the shop because it has a track.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It would definitely be described as a huge gamble, but these things always are. To answer your questions, I am already a small-time hobby dealer, have been running R/C races as possible for over ten years and have been involved in the hobby for more than 20 years. I already have everything needed to run races, AMBrc 20 transponders system, computers, software, digital displays, web site shopping service, wireless PA system, heck, I even have a decent mixer and can simulcast by FM Radio Transmitter. If you had a track anywhere in the country, I could pull up at your site with my 6' x 12' cargo trailer that I built an 8' x 11' roll out awning onto, set up my equipment and run a very professional race program by generator if necessary. I also have a RoadRails system to run parking lot races with among other equipment.

The R/C business will remain my side thing. I am a commercial and residential HVAC Tech as my main income. The new Racetrack site is where I will move all of my equipment to, plus it is where my store will be. The site will be run on scheduled hours when either myself or trusted people can tend it only. All products we sell will be available both online and on site. I am not going to operate under any contract. If it does not work out, I just pack everything up again and take it back home again.

It will be nice to be able to park a car in my garage again.

Last edited by Kevin; 08-29-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Back to the Q & A:

I do agree that a site needs to both sell equipment and provide racing services to have the best chance of making ends meet. I know how to run the show and the business end. At this point, I was mainly looking for information on expense/costs issues. I have lost a fair share of money on race events I producted that were great fun, just did not make enough to cover their costs. I guess I am just not ready to call it quits yet.

I need to know what private tracks with hobby shops are paying for liability insurance, theft and fire coverage. This will help me project a budget AND help determine what we can charge for our races. Can any of you guys help me with these possible figures?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There are a few tracks around indy:

Indy slots: $10 first $5 each add. - OD off road, ID on and off road, oval
P&T Hobbies: $12 first $8 second free for third - ID clay off road
Joe's Hobby barn: $15 first $10 each add. - OD off road ID oval
Backyard: $10 first $5 each add. - OD off road - No hobby shop

There are some others, but havent been there.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

We had a small local track that was charging $10 per entry and when attendance went down, they raised the price to $15 to make up for the lower turnout Needless to say, that track is no more. Determining the price of entry is the same as determining a price for a product. A nice race facility, faster racers, and a smooth & timely race program will be the place where people want to come and are willing to pay $15-$20.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Tech Addict

That is what this is all about, working towards doing things bigger and better. Unfortunately, bigger and better costs more money. We will do this and if we make it through the winter, the decent size outdoor off road track will go up in the spring on the same property. It is not really up to me anyway. It boils down to whether there is going to be enough support to do it. I guess we will see.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
I personally would never pay $15 for club racing, I would turn into a basher real quck. Now if it was $15 for 2 classes that would be ok. If its a speacal race then 20. Around here club racing is 8-12 dollars.
Originally Posted by CClay1282
There are a few tracks around indy:

Indy slots: $10 first $5 each add. - OD off road, ID on and off road, oval
P&T Hobbies: $12 first $8 second free for third - ID clay off road
Joe's Hobby barn: $15 first $10 each add. - OD off road ID oval
Backyard: $10 first $5 each add. - OD off road - No hobby shop

There are some others, but havent been there.
Wow 8 -10 bucks? What a bargain! I paid $5 - $7 to race on temporary club parking lot tracks in 1983.

I think $15.00 - $20.00 is reasonable for a permanent indoor facility.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Where I race in Enfield CT ( RC Madness ) Its $15 to race and $10 per additional class you run. I usually run 2 classes per race day so for $25 I get an entire day of racing. Thats a good deal to me!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Wow 8 -10 bucks? What a bargain! I paid $5 - $7 to race on temporary club parking lot tracks in 1983.

I think $15.00 - $20.00 is reasonable for a permanent indoor facility.
Exactly.

I bet for that $5-$7, Rick got to help setup and teardown the track for no discount, supply his own power, clean his own car (no air compressor), get his own food and drink, and make sure he had plenty of parts on-hand.

I paid $10 to race in a parking lot in 1986, doing what I just described above. Inflation alone would push that to $19 in today's money ( http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl ). Then we can add in a few bucks here and there for each of the conveniences you get by racing at a permanent facility.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'm a racer always have been and always will be, I'll pay $15 for my first class and $10 for my second class ($5 for the third would be nice) It's all about demographics but I don't know if the newbie is going to get his mom to pony up $15 so jr. can race his Slash for 15min. Racers will pay and appreciate a nice facility. Newbies might not and without them racing might die too driver turn over. Like everybody else it's just my opinion.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

$15 for the first and the second is free, if you race one class its still $15
Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

10 1st class 8for the second
Old 08-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Whats all this talk about 1983..... The housing market and the economy are near identical today as they were back then, so at least we are all on the same page.

$10 to $15 is reasonable, with a discount for a second class.

One of the biggest things that are a track turn off, is a lack of maintnance and by not changing the track lay out a couple of times a year.

Again, locally, the track gets changed twice a year, at minumum, as the state races come through.

When the layouts are new, there is more turn out. When drivers get board of the same layout over and over they go somewhere else until it changes. During the summer months the track gets more frequent rain, wash outs, and drivers participation declines.

Keep it fresh and affordable.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

my local track(rc madness) is 15$ and 10$ for second class, and 35$ for big races such as the 18th scale nats or the january jam
Old 08-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys for all the input on this thread. It was really helpful to decide how to start. Putting up a new site these days is a bit scary with the costs to rent commercial property so high along with those other expenses like utilities, insurance and etc. It really looks from all that was input here that for regular racing action $15 for a first class and $10 for all classes additional would be considered fair by most people. If we work hard to put on a good program and make the track as fun as possible, with any luck we will be able to pull in the business volume needed to survive at these rates. As the owner of this new site, I will not be quitting my day job to run it, so it will not need to make money for me to live on, but it can't lose money either.

I know I started this topic for info to sort out what our race fees should be, but I also really need some track/shop owners to advise me of where they are getting insured from and what it is costing. Could some of you guys help me with this by PM'ing me or something on the subject. Thanks.