Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deans Connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Rookie

There are some videos on youtube you should check out. Just search "soldering deans connectors" and you will find them.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by davidg01234
haha yes i have figured out already why they call it male/female. But i soldering cant be that hard right, all u do is put the hot tip to the wires while they are touching the deans connector, right?
No...you got to strip the wires, tin the wires, slide the shrink down the esc wires, tin the deans plug, solder the wire and plug together, and slide the heat shrink down and shrink it to the exposed parts. Some people use flux so you want to take that into account too. Youtube it...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by maxair45
No...you got to strip the wires, tin the wires, slide the shrink down the esc wires, tin the deans plug, solder the wire and plug together, and slide the heat shrink down and shrink it to the exposed parts. Some people use flux so you want to take that into account too. Youtube it...
Yes i knew you had to strip the wrapping from the wires first and then cover them back up, i mean who woulld try and solder the rubber to it.

But i am going to youtube it.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The August 2009 issue of R/C Car had an excellent "Soldering 101" issue in it (with excellent pics as well).
Old 08-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Soldering looks easy, but there is more to it than just heating and touching. Utubing will give you a better idea. Start with a good iron and good solder/flux. That will help.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You need a hot iron to do the deans. Like 700 degrees
Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scwrod
You need a hot iron to do the deans. Like 700 degrees
No you dont, I have a HAKKO, and i put my temp at 550 and it comes ouot great. 700 degrees will only solder faster.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Let me re-phrase that.

The less time you have heat on the deans the better.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I assume we're talking Dean's 2-pin Ultra plugs? Just buy a pack with both male and female plugs in it, you'll end up using them later I promise. You can do it with a cheap 60W iron just fine. Be sure to tin the iron tip. Then tin the ESC wires. Scuff the Dean's connectors on the side you're going to solder to with a Dremel, rough sandpaper, etc. Then tin the Dean's. I hold mine with Visegrips. Also, what ESC are you using? You may have to solder a y-harness (where you have to have a wire come off the ESC + that goes to the motor, and THAT wire is what you connect to the Dean's). I believe you can buy y-harness already assembled and just solder that to ESC and Dean's.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Initiate

soldering deans connectors takes some practice. I am no expert by any means, but I have learned a few things that might help. The first thing I learned is, find something to hold the stupid thing still! Here is the best solution I have found and it is very very cheap. Go to harbor freight if you have a store in your area or order online ITEM 319-5VGA which is called "helping hands" What this is is a heavy cast iron base, with little arms and clips on either end. It is adjustable all sorts of directions and can be tightened when you get it where you want it.
Another thing is to make sure that you have the matching plug plugged into the one you are soldering while you are doing it. In otherwords if you are soldering a male deans, go on and plug the female side on also, this keeps the plugs from shifting due to heat etc. Once you get good enough and can do it super fast you may not need this, but it is cheap insurance on not wasting a connector.
Flux is a must if you want a good joint. I have some trinity liquid rosin flux at the moment but it's a mess to deal with really. It would be much nicer to have some flux paste, or a flux pen even. Just make sure it is rosin and not corrosive like plumbers use.
60/40 lead solder will stick and work the best, so use that if you can find it.
Main thing is to make sure you have at least a 60 watt iron, let it get good and hot, and let it rest between joints to "recover" it's heat. Do one side at a time and shrink it, to make sure you don't blob the solder together and short out the battery etc. This would be less critical on a esc probably, but still a good practice to make sure the one joint is insulated and won't touch.
The deans shrinkwrap supplied is very small diameter, so if you are not making super good small joints you will have trouble getting it to slide over the wire and solder. Your first couple you could use a bit bigger shrink wrap it's pretty cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Deans Connector-00319.gif  
Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cjtamu
I assume we're talking Dean's 2-pin Ultra plugs? Just buy a pack with both male and female plugs in it, you'll end up using them later I promise. You can do it with a cheap 60W iron just fine. Be sure to tin the iron tip. Then tin the ESC wires. Scuff the Dean's connectors on the side you're going to solder to with a Dremel, rough sandpaper, etc. Then tin the Dean's. I hold mine with Visegrips. Also, what ESC are you using? You may have to solder a y-harness (where you have to have a wire come off the ESC + that goes to the motor, and THAT wire is what you connect to the Dean's). I believe you can buy y-harness already assembled and just solder that to ESC and Dean's.
I am using a ezrun 80a esc and no i do not need a y harness
Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

hey guys can you solder wires directly together, i mean like wire to wire.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

yes you can
Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davidg01234
hey guys can you solder wires directly together, i mean like wire to wire.
Yes, that's how you do a y-harness. But, every solder joint you make adds just a little resistance. If you need longer wires it's best to just get one new piece and cut to the right length.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Yes, that's how you do a y-harness. But, every solder joint you make adds just a little resistance. If you need longer wires it's best to just get one new piece and cut to the right length.
Why does it add resistance and is it anything that would notice while driving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.