Search

Track treads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Track treads?

Hey fellas,

So, this doesn't exactly fit in this part of the forum, but if I were to ever go ahead with it, it would be electric and off-road so yeah...

Anyways, I was just looking on RCMart and came across the Kyosho blizzard and then had a brain fart to make something like that.

So, does anyone know where to get track belts/treads... whatever ya wanna call them, or more preferably a kit that came with all the parts?
Something with a length/wheelbase of about 300mm/12in would be sweet I reckon (bigger=better.... in most cases anyway)

If I were to go ahead with it, it would get a bit of abuse... rocks (both small movable and big ones to climb over, mud (preferably lots of mud), probably water (would be cool to do a whole waterproof thing and be submersible).
Wouldn't really get anything in the terms of jumping... just coming off of rocks, falling/rolling would be about it.
Would be good if it could handle 20-30kph aswell.

So... am I thinking too ambitious or what? Just thought it would be pretty cool.

Cheers.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I suspect that for what you want, you may end up checking out some of the "combat robot" sites -- they would have more heavy duty tracked vehicle setups. (probably "pricey" though...?)
Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I was kind of thinking of the robot sites as well. Though I can be wrong, I would start off with a Traxxas set up, meaning they have the waterproof gear to start with.

As for tracks the robot sites would be your best bet.

I wouldnt know what you could do about gearing though. Are you planning on a dual motor set up and two large tracks like a tank, or are you thinking more along the line of 4 individual tracks, one per each wheel, as they have on some scale ATV's.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Px3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There was some RC available at Radio Shack that people used 4 tracks as wheels. People were modifying them to fit on E/T Maxxes I think....
Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks fellas.

Just been looking around online and it seems I am dreaming if I expect to get a set of tracks for under $1000.
That is looking on combat tank/robot sites.
I can find extremes but not the in between mid range I am after (can only find cheap kit stuff that comes with $15-$50 'learning' kits, or very expensive sets).
I was kinda hoping I could get the tracks with sprockets/wheels for only a couple of hundered.

I was thinking about the E-Maxx ESC and running dual motors through a dual motor gearbox... I would like 2 tracks, like a tank.

Thinking about it a bit more, this really would not be cheap.
What I have in mind is 2 tracks with suspension so it can easily go over obstacles without rocking over them.
Would probably need 8-10 shocks (depending on setup).
Not to mention I reckon it would actually be quite complicated, not a problem for me, I would like the challange, it's just the $$$$ and it would be nice if it was somewhat compact (going for a solid non-suspension setup might be a compromise, depending on durability).

Again, thanks for the help so far.

Something similar to what I would like is the Ripsaw http://www.howeandhowe.com/ripsaw_1_pics.html, only smaller and more suited to off-road ability than speed.

EDIT: Thinking that modding an RC tank would probably be an easier/cheaper way.

Last edited by Shimmy; 08-17-2009 at 08:14 AM.