To go LiPo or not to go LiPo? >

To go LiPo or not to go LiPo?

To go LiPo or not to go LiPo?

Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default To go LiPo or not to go LiPo?

What do people think?

In my Kyosho ZX-5 with a Novak 8.5 brushless system.

Should I go LiPo?

Will it increase the top speed at all?

Torque is good with the Nimh battery, but I want more top speed (along with run time and the other perks of LiPo).
Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Mate going lipo is a great change Makes your car lighter, increased run time and more power, what I like about lipo is being able to weight Your car in different areas and not weighing a tonne

Check out C ratings when looking into it.. try to get 25c+
Old 08-17-2009, 05:47 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks mate.

The main thing I'm looking for in the LiPo is more top speed. Will it do the job?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Should definitely have overall more top end power aswell as more torque
Old 08-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If you want more top speed you will have to get a faster motor, or change your gearing. Go up one or two teeth on your pinion, just keep an eye on the temps.

If you want more speed from a battery buy a 7 cell NIMH pack or a 3 cell Lipo pack, and you will get more speed from the increased voltage, as long as you esc can handle it.

If you want to change from NIMH to LIPO and expect your car to have more top speed your not going to get it.

Lipo batteries will hold the maximum power through out the cycle of the battery. Meaning that NIMH batteries fade as your drivig, and you power will be slowly reduced until the battery is dead.

A lipo battery will run with out fade until, the lipo voltage cut off on your esc will turn the esc off.

The real benefit to using lipo in your car, is that its lighter, which, in essence make you faster. You will get maxium performance from the battery, which in essence will make you faster. There will be no fade in power, so through out the run, while NIMH batteries are fading off you will still have more punch than the others.

Actually I could have worded that better. It wont make you faster, it will keep you buggy just as fast from start to fininsh, so you will be more consistant in your lap times, and should have better overall performance and lap times.

Its worth switching to lipos in my opinion.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info mate.

I was looking around and stumbled across these:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9436

Nearly everyone rates this battery big time, especially for the price.

It would seem Zippy have been doing flight LiPos for years.

Looking at getting two of these.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
If you want more top speed you will have to get a faster motor, or change your gearing. Go up one or two teeth on your pinion, just keep an eye on the temps.

If you want more speed from a battery buy a 7 cell NIMH pack or a 3 cell Lipo pack, and you will get more speed from the increased voltage, as long as you esc can handle it.

Yeah I've got to look more closely at the gearing (I've only recently obtained the car).

The ESC is only rated to 2 cells for Lipos.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hobbycity lipos are great, just make sure to get the 25c or 30c lipos. The main difference between nimh and lipo that I see is runtimes. Not only are the packs smaller for more capacity, but they run strong up until the end of the charge. NIMH batteries have a "long slow death" each run.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lipos will always increase your speed and runtime in some cases
Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Lipos are theway to go if you wanna race and be competative....thats it. It'll give you the same punch you get on your first lap with your nicd/nimh but the whole race. The are a lot lighter and the voltage is higher than nimh's. I think that you definataly should...easy as that. Once you get a lipo your nimh's will never see the track again.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You don't see any 1/8 brushless buggys or truggys running nimh packs, do you? No. It would be silly. They all run lipos because they are just better batteries.

Go out and get yourself some lipos man; You'll love em!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Forgot to add that nimh's are heavier and work your motor and esc a bit more than they would with lipos...Lipo's will keep everything cooler overall.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can also charge LiPos unlimited times per day unlike nickel batteries where you can only charge them about 4-5 times a day before you start to damage them.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just went to the Zippys from Hobbycity from good NiMH (for me - enerG 4600) was a huge benefit. The LiPos are tons better for driving, racing and make the buggy/truck we have lighter too. The lipos alone may give you more top-speed (less voltage drop under load, lighter car and more voltage under full load). However, you may bump up your pinion 1T or so at the same time for more top-speed. Do watch your motor temperature so that it doesn't go above 180*F or so.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
Lipo batteries will hold the maximum power through out the cycle of the battery. Meaning that NIMH batteries fade as your drivig, and you power will be slowly reduced until the battery is dead.

A lipo battery will run with out fade until, the lipo voltage cut off on your esc will turn the esc off.

The real benefit to using lipo in your car, is that its lighter, which, in essence make you faster. You will get maxium performance from the battery, which in essence will make you faster. There will be no fade in power, so through out the run, while NIMH batteries are fading off you will still have more punch than the others.

Actually I could have worded that better. It wont make you faster, it will keep you buggy just as fast from start to fininsh, so you will be more consistant in your lap times, and should have better overall performance and lap times.

Its worth switching to lipos in my opinion.
Not completely true about lipo fade. Lipos drop voltage as they discharge just like nimhs and nicds do, but they do seem to do it slower - the high C ratings do make it seem like they keep up better because you're usually not maxing the output capacity. You would only lose the very top end rpms with the voltage drop, which usually is a very small portion of the race track, and most people overgear their brushless setups so they never top out anyway. Check your voltage at the end of a run, it'll be signficantly below the 8.4 you started with, typically around 7.1-7.3 after a 6 or 7-minute run.

When running a 3400 lipo on a brushed motor (less efficient) I'll definitely notice the fade as bad as when running 3800 nimhs because the motor is actually drawing max capacity near the end of the run. The higher mah packs have noticably less fade, but then so do the higher capacity nimhs. The weight savings is definitely a benefit for both handling and acceleration.

I like the fact that lipos store longer with a charge and don't need to be re-peaked before the race or discharge-cycled to maintain capacity. Less maintenance time = more track time!