Best choice for 1/8th electric buggy.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best choice for 1/8th electric buggy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Find Rick Jenkins or Jonathan Hernandez.....

Originally Posted by Big_Lumpia
It's overwhelming with all the choices out there. I do have a chance to get a Kyosho Mp777 WC kit cheap but if there are better options...

I will look into the Caster buggy but I would like to see it first-hand before I buy and that is tough here in SoCal where they seem to be non-existent and everyone is brand conscious. If you don't have one of the "Big" company's products then they look down on you... but those guys just have the $$$ and can't drive

BTW, I was planning on using 2 lipos (7.4v 5000mah 40C Thunder Power) in the car and wanted to buy a 2650 kv MMM from Castle Creations. I love this product as I run the heck out of my E-Revo brushless edition without ANY issues.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

LOSI
Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I know what you mean about Losi. I've had a few of their cars in the past and I never felt they were anything really special or gave me problems. However, my 8ight-E conversion has been an exception. It has been extremely solid. The only damage I've done on my buggy was bending the front/rear shocktowers (but that was because I had the RTR version with the thinner, stamped aluminum towers.)

Aside from the parts getting a little more sloppy the longer I had it, it hasn't let me down. The handling is amazing and parts are plentiful/inexpensive.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by DG Designs
Where is your local hobby shop! That about $150 less than everyone! On second thought maybe you shouldn't say anything, i think they can loose their account for cutting prices that much
I won't say a word until I get it this Friday. I decided.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 PM
6th
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DG Designs
Where is your local hobby shop! That about $150 less than everyone! On second thought maybe you shouldn't say anything, i think they can loose their account for cutting prices that much
He's in the OC, I'm assuming the shop in question is either Ultimate Hobbie's offline price or Tony's. They are the only two that I know that would really price lower then MAP or MSRP.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 6th
He's in the OC, I'm assuming the shop in question is either Ultimate Hobbie's offline price or Tony's. They are the only two that I know that would really price lower then MAP or MSRP.
You are correct in your assumption that I live in the OC. In fact, I live only five minutes east of Ultimate Hobbies, lol. Tony's is 45 minutes away and it's always a mess in his store and I heard he's moved/moving. There's another hobby shop in Westminster called Rob's Hobbies that likes to match or even beat Ultimate's prices. I bought my Slash there for $179.00 recently... but I still admit nothing but a modicum of research will reveal the location
Old 08-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Rookie

My bad, I just checked the price again and noticed that the $599.00 price was for the Losi 8ight-e Limited Edition and NOT the new "2.0" version. The 8ight-e 2.0 is around $704.00 which is still fairly cheap but when you factor in tax will be nearly $800.00.

What do you guys think? Is there a big difference between the newer and older version? Is it still a good deal or maybe I should purchase online where I will not pay tax and may get free shipping.

Many thanks to all who have replied. All of your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

800$ sure seems steep to me for a 1/8 E Buggy and ESC\Motor Combo.

But I'm a cheap-ass

I am going to go Caster Roller for 250$ and a HobbyWing ESC for under 400$ myself
Old 08-13-2009, 05:12 PM
6th
Tech Initiate

You are correct in your assumption that I live in the OC. In fact, I live only five minutes east of Ultimate Hobbies, lol. Tony's is 45 minutes away and it's always a mess in his store and I heard he's moved/moving. There's another hobby shop in Westminster called Rob's Hobbies that likes to match or even beat Ultimate's prices. I bought my Slash there for $179.00 recently... but I still admit nothing but a modicum of research will reveal the location
Yeah he's moving whenever the city decides to pay up. I'll have to check out Rob's, never heard of his shop till now.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think 800 for an RTR is too much. I barely have that in my Caster PRO with all the hopups and my own motor/ESC choice.

But all things good, electic is by far becoming more popular and guys like everyone that responded will get more classes out there. Soon we won't have to beg to run with the nitros (yes they will always have a nitro class) we will have a HUGE class.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 6th
Yeah he's moving whenever the city decides to pay up. I'll have to check out Rob's, never heard of his shop till now.
The good thing about Rob's is that they are open 7 days a week. They're a small shop but at least the prices are good and they are willing to help out unlike other hobby stores. Another good place is Gearbox Models in Fullerton. They have a good selection and their customer service can't be beat.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I would reccommend the Hot Bodies D8, easy to convert, and its priced very competitively! With an RC-Monster motor mount, a losi battery tray, and your set for whatever brushless system you want!

Its very easy to drive!

Its the best buggy I have ever had,hands down in my opinion!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up

My bad, I just checked the price again and noticed that the $599.00 price was for the Losi 8ight-e Limited Edition and NOT the new "2.0" version. The 8ight-e 2.0 is around $704.00 which is still fairly cheap but when you factor in tax will be nearly $800.00.

What do you guys think? Is there a big difference between the newer and older version? Is it still a good deal or maybe I should purchase online where I will not pay tax and may get free shipping.

Many thanks to all who have replied. All of your input is greatly appreciated.
Get the 2.0....... no questions asked!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+1
800.00 is not bad for a Good RTR E-Buggy.
I have 550.00 just in ESC/Motor Combo + batteries.
Then add the roller,the servo(s), RX and anything else.
I would make sure the ESC/motor was proven in a race environment.

Personally, I will not use the HW or the Losi electronic. I would like to try the Speed Passion setup.

P.S.
I only buy from my LHS. If they do not survive then I would have no track to run on. Then all the money I saved from shopping online would be pointless unless I was a basher, which I am not.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think RTR's should be under $500, race rollers around 250 and pro versions around 350...

I started with the MMM 2650 system and like it so far, I also like what I read about Tekin stuff and my friend is running an 80 EZ Run (hobbywing/speedpassion) in his BL revo. So you're gonna pay a little more for choice kits.

Getting products at your LHS is great, and if you want what they have...I stopped by several hobbyshops this summer in CA, IA and Il, they seem to carry what they can get from big distributors like Hobbico and Horizon.

If your LHS doesn't have the car you want, I think it's OK to order online, many small hobbyshops run online stores and need sales too. You can always get your fluids, RX, TX, batteries, chargers etc at your LHS and try to talk them into carrying your parts and MANY parts (tires, wheels, gears) are interchangeable anyway...