Wiki Posts
Search

Please, Please Help me out...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Please, Please Help me out...

Hello everyone. I used to be really into RC Racing like 5 years ago and got out of it and now have the itch again. WIth all the changes in the last 5 years I am really behind. Please help me with these questions if you can:

1) I just ordered a Losi 8ight-E 2.0 with the 2100 kv Motor. What size batteries should I run for an indoor track? 3 cell or 4 cell lipos?

2) What brushless system do you all recommend for a Hyper 7 conversion? Also running on an indoor track, occasionally running on a bigger outdoor track.

3) Is there a place online to find good lipo packs and what am I looking for when I buy?

Thanks everyone, and Im sure I will come up with even more questions.

Trever
Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Depending on track size you can run either 3s or 4s lipos, with a 2100kv, 4s could be your best bet.

I run a Mamba Monster 2650kv in my Caster Fusion, would probably be good for the Hyper 7 and again 3s to 4s.

Hobbycity.com has zippy and rhino lipos for a good price. If you want to spend more go with SMC or MaxAmps.

Advice, run nothing less than 5000mah 20c, that gives you 100AMP available, which most 1/8 BL systems need. You should get 15-20 minutes runtime from a 5000.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

4 cell would be your best bet. SMC has a 6000mah 28c pack for $89 which many have been using with great success.

As for the hyper 7, you can always trade it in for a hyper 9 look at the tekin rx8

and if your buying on line, tower hobbies has good discount coupon codes on the home page of there site.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If your LHS has a track then you should try purchasing from them or you won't have a track to race at.

stormerhobbies.com has amazing prices and their shipping speed is amazing!!! Towerhobbies takes 3 days to ship, stomer ships within 24hours.

If your LHS is that much more expensive ask them to give you a break because you rather give the business to them.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

i would go with a 4s
Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

First, confirm if you need hardcased lipos or not.

If it doesn't matter, for lipos I really like the PolyRC brand. They are similar to Polyquest lipos. You can purchase them here: www.rclipos.com with free worldwide shipping.

For what you have I would do a 4S lipo setup on both cars. For the Hyper, the Castle 2200Kv system is really good. Its a bigger motor than buggy sized motors, but works well for buggy as well as truggy.

If you do a 3S setup, make sure you go with a very high quality battery pack.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks alot everyone for your help. I think I will go all 4s.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

i have a hyper 7 and a rx8 and have no problems
Old 08-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Depending on your knowledge of Lipo batteries, it would be worth your time to do some research of proper handling, charging and discharging.

A few essentials would be:
1: Never discharge them completely dead, or over-draw them (draw too many amps). Once cell voltage dips below 3v/cell permanent damage occurs. High amp bursts causes the voltage to dip, be careful near the end of a run and use a voltage cutoff on the ESC to be safe.

2: Stick with brands that have been proven.

3: Never overcharge past 4.2v/cell, ever. If your charger "auto detects" cell count, verify it each and every time. Never charge unsupervised, and be careful charging past 1C rate (4200mah = 4.2a).

4: Balance with every charge.

5: Puffed cells are damaged, drop them into salt water for a few days (to slowly discharge completely) and trash them, or use at your own risk.

5: Higher voltage means higher efficiency and lower amps ONLY if the car is geared for the same speed. 3s to 4s means the motor will spin faster, which also means the car moves faster. This extra speed takes more energy that will cause things to run hotter. Gear it lower to make up for the extra voltage, and everything will run cooler, happier, and longer.