Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
best way to get tires off rims? >

best way to get tires off rims?

best way to get tires off rims?

Old 08-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default best way to get tires off rims?

whats the best way to remove tires from rims. I dont really care about the tires but I do want to save the rims.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I hear alot of people baking them.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cut the tires off the rim around the bead and then soak them in Acetone over night. That usually does the trick.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

everything you need to know >>> http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ued-tires.html
Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just read through the whole thread in that link ^^^.

I am surprised to read about people buying gallons of acetone and soaking the entire tires and wheels in it.

From my experience, acetone has been the best way to remove tires from the wheels. Especially if you want to save both of them. Unfortunately though, the foams don't stand up well to the acetone.

To make the acetone technique work nicely, you don't want to soak the tires and wheels in acetone. The fumes from the acetone is enough to release the glue from the tires and wheels. All you will need is a nice sealable container that can hold the tires. Like a big tupperware or a bucket with an airtight lid. Place the tires in the container, but elevate them to keep them off the bottom where the acetone will be. Pour about a cup of acetone into the container and seal it up. Sometimes I just pours some into a spray paint cap and place the the cap in the container with the tires and wheels. Let it sit overnight.

In the morning, the glue will soften up and you could pull the tires off the wheels. There will still be some glue residue on the tires and wheels though. If you want to get the wheels(or tires) sparkling clean, just place them back in the container with the acetone soaking the bead area. Within a couple of ours, go back and soak the other side of the wheels. Everything will be nice and clean.

Be sure to wipe the wheels with denature alcohol before you mount the tires. Acetone acts as a releasing agent towards the glue. If you don't wipe the wheels with denatured alcohol, you'll risk having the glue fail during the useful life of the tire. I figured that out the hard way. Now, I wipe all my wheels and tires with denatured alcohol before I glue them up.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sorry.. that thread didn't cover everything I thought it did. here is another thread that talks more about doing it your way http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ing-tires.html

but your best bet is to do a search on "acetone fumes" and there are a lot of threads on this.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

I bake em- Pre heat oven to 400*, and put em in for 10min, then I turn off oven, and let them stay for another 10min or so. The first 10 sometimes does the trick, but some tires can be a bit stubborn. The ca residue usually flakes off fairly easy. I haven't tried acetone yet, as this method has been quick and easy for me..
Old 08-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by z1nonly
I just read through the whole thread in that link ^^^.

I am surprised to read about people buying gallons of acetone and soaking the entire tires and wheels in it.

From my experience, acetone has been the best way to remove tires from the wheels. Especially if you want to save both of them. Unfortunately though, the foams don't stand up well to the acetone.

To make the acetone technique work nicely, you don't want to soak the tires and wheels in acetone. The fumes from the acetone is enough to release the glue from the tires and wheels. All you will need is a nice sealable container that can hold the tires. Like a big tupperware or a bucket with an airtight lid. Place the tires in the container, but elevate them to keep them off the bottom where the acetone will be. Pour about a cup of acetone into the container and seal it up. Sometimes I just pours some into a spray paint cap and place the the cap in the container with the tires and wheels. Let it sit overnight.

In the morning, the glue will soften up and you could pull the tires off the wheels. There will still be some glue residue on the tires and wheels though. If you want to get the wheels(or tires) sparkling clean, just place them back in the container with the acetone soaking the bead area. Within a couple of ours, go back and soak the other side of the wheels. Everything will be nice and clean.

Be sure to wipe the wheels with denature alcohol before you mount the tires. Acetone acts as a releasing agent towards the glue. If you don't wipe the wheels with denatured alcohol, you'll risk having the glue fail during the useful life of the tire. I figured that out the hard way. Now, I wipe all my wheels and tires with denatured alcohol before I glue them up.
I also use this method but for 1/8 scale wheels it takes longer than overnight. Works awesome compared to boiling. Just have to be patient.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just got a cheap pot from thrift store for $1
and I boil my tires on the rims in boiling water
for about 32 mins, this breaks down CA glue
but CAUTION: even though ur tires are cool on the
inside, u can get burned pretty badly as it will be hot
inside the tire for longer period of time than the outside
:P I learned the hard way lol
Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by flame56mx
I bake em- Pre heat oven to 400*, and put em in for 10min, then I turn off oven, and let them stay for another 10min or so. The first 10 sometimes does the trick, but some tires can be a bit stubborn. The ca residue usually flakes off fairly easy. I haven't tried acetone yet, as this method has been quick and easy for me..

Tried many times , never had good results .
Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomTomTuning
I hear alot of people baking them.
yeah i went to my LHS and they said that there are 2 ways to take tires off the rims

1. set your oven to 350 degrees and keep oven open and have fans on and windows open(only if rims are nylon)

2. take a good bucket and poor butoric acid in it and put rims and tires in and leave it in over night
Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

acetone.
I just finished about my 15th set of redues (buy used or come with rollers)
got a small metel coffee can and fill so the tire are submerged. usually sit for 12-16 hrs and they almost fall off. I have reused the foams but did have 1 or 2 sets that I couldn't use. I usually put a bigger metal can upsidedown over the smaller one and leave in the garage.

I tride the oven and boiling. boiling didn't clean up very well and the oven warped the wheels and stinks like h#@l.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

I just tried boiling them with different results, after boiling my tires for 10 min, I couldnt get it off so I put them in for another 10, then they started to go so It is just Time, but I wanted to go for another 10 but I have been doing it for 2 hours on like 5 pairs of tires so I quit for today. My hands are burned a little but Im used to it. I learned that it is better to do it in 10 min increments, boil for 10 min, then take out and boil a different pair for 10 min. let the other pair cool. It acts like the road, when its winter and it gets cold, everything is fine, but then it heats up rapidly, then it starts to crack, then cools down rapidly, it cracks more.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Boil the #$%^@&( out of them. Some of mine I had to boil for 1hr +, but they came off!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.