Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
best way to get tires off rims? >

best way to get tires off rims?

best way to get tires off rims?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revracr909
NAIL POISLSH REMOVER W 100% AZITONE , LET IT SIT FOR A COUPLE HOURS THEN SHOULD BE NICE & CLEAN WHEN DONE. (FIRST CUT THE SIDES DOWN, NOT ALL THE WAY TO THE RIM BUT ENOUGH TO PULL OFF WHEN DONE). ITS BEEN DONE, I USE THIS METHOD!!

Nail polish remover is just acetone that smells better. For what a bottle of nail polish remover costs you can get 1/2 a gallon of acetone. Just an FYI if anybody didn't know.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

why does everyone like the acetone method, it can be very dangerous and probaly isnt goo for the rims. Boiling worked pretty good for me but I went through a lot of water for that 2 hours this morning.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Ive used it many times and havent had a problem, yes i rather have new rims. I just would think hot water would expand plastic and havent tried it.

How does thats boiling method go along? how are those rims when there done?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

where do you get acetone and denture alcohol??
Old 08-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Wal mart, home depot, lowes, in the paint department.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

cool, thanks og
Old 08-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcman1993
I just tried boiling them with different results, after boiling my tires for 10 min, I couldnt get it off so I put them in for another 10, then they started to go so It is just Time, but I wanted to go for another 10 but I have been doing it for 2 hours on like 5 pairs of tires so I quit for today. My hands are burned a little but Im used to it. I learned that it is better to do it in 10 min increments, boil for 10 min, then take out and boil a different pair for 10 min. let the other pair cool. It acts like the road, when its winter and it gets cold, everything is fine, but then it heats up rapidly, then it starts to crack, then cools down rapidly, it cracks more.
heres the boiling method, doesnt deform the rims because that was not how they were made.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by rcman1993
why does everyone like the acetone method, it can be very dangerous and probaly isnt goo for the rims. Boiling worked pretty good for me but I went through a lot of water for that 2 hours this morning.

Acetone the best way , does not effect the rim if it is made of nylon....

drop rim in paint can , come back 48 hr`s and the rim is nice and clean with no glue residue left behind....
Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've tried boiling and it doesn't work very well. Like Wild Cherry said, drop in a container with acetone for a few days and everything comes right apart. The acetone does not hurt the wheels or make them brittle.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:32 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just a note. clay compounds dont play nice with acetone. they will be killed in process. so if ur in need of removing losi pink or JC gold. gotta go another route.

R
Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'll chime in on this...
I have recently started using the acetone bath and it works VERY well! I have done the boiling,baking and even using a CA de-bonder. Nothing works as well as the acetone bath. I went to home depot and spent $30.00 on the necessary supplies and have been able to pay for the cost of supplies with the reused rims on the first experiment. I have also started to de-bond my fellow racers tires for a lunch on race day I usually have to soak them for about 8-10 hours and they fall off the rim and most of the glue residue dissolves away. A spray of simple green and a quick scrub with the tire brush and they are good to go. I have only tried this on Pro-line, AE, and Losi 10th scale rims ( I am not sure of the plastic type ) and have had no problems, in fact there is one pair of Losi rear rims that I have de-bonded 3 times now. Acetone can be VERY nasty stuff so be very careful.

ALWAYS WORK WITH IT OUTSIDE!!!!! BUT not next to any flame sources, water heaters, barbeque grills ect. (It has a very low vapor point and is EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE)

Try to limit skin exposure, wear gloves or use tongs.

Here is a list of supplies...
one gallon acetone
one 1/2 gallon HDPE plastic paint bucket with lid (make sure to poke a very small vent hole in the lid to allow for expansion, but not big enough to allow evaporation of the acetone during the soak)

I just pour the acetone back into the can when I am done and clean out the bucket for storage. If you cut off the tire first you can get about 6-8 rims in the 1/2 gallon bucket
Old 08-08-2009, 04:17 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

sir, u can save the $ u spend by not immersing them in acetone. make a perch and fill the bottom of the bucket/pot with acetone. let the tires sit up on a perch not even touchin the acetone. cover and come back in a day or 2. its the fumes that eat the ca, not the liquid.

R