Wiki Posts
Search

Is Pro4 4wd SC the next big thing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stockslasher
I have been reading all the debats about this 4WD potential. It is absolutely correct that an 1/8th scale buggy chassis will fit under a SCT body. I was planning to buy an RC8e and some SC8 parts to make an 1/10th scale 4WD SCT model. The cost was too much for me to realize this. The RC8e kit is $400 as a roller. You would need a decent powertrain and battery to really make this competitive with the 2WD models. Therefore I am sticking with the 2WD for now.

Another thing to consider is the 1:1 TORC series. The Pro-2 class has always been the premier class. The only advantage 4WD gets is on sloppy lose or muddy tracks. In R/C we don't like the mud fest. The added weight of 4WD has be overcome with power that you may never be able to put down through the SCT tires.

I also have a 1/16 Mini Slash that I run. I baught this cause I wanted to try 4WD and Brushless. This is the hardest truck I have ever tried to drive. I am still working through the chassis set-up and may convert to E-Revo cause the Mini class is merged in my area.

So in the end we'll see what happens. The majors will have to support with E-Slayer, Losi, AE, etc. OFNA is the only one I heard that is looking at a 4WD SCT.
No-one knows what the price for these new ofna/jammin kits are going to be. It could be something stupid but will be alot more than the SC10, really think about it. You have aluminum chassis, 3 diffs, proline beadlocks etc. etc. SC8E may be $389 but look at 4WD 1/10 buggies and they are $340 ish. Say Tekin RX8 combo is $330, decent sensorless 1/10 combo is same price. SC8E probably would sell better if there was a class and competition for it,for once AE has been the 1st to bring out a class with no-one else (look at 4wd buggies, they took forever to come out with a buggy) Would be nice to if AE bought out a nitro kit roller instead of a rtr but most people covert to brushless anyway.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AE_SC_Racing
No-one knows what the price for these new ofna/jammin kits are going to be. It could be something stupid but will be alot more than the SC10, really think about it. You have aluminum chassis, 3 diffs, proline beadlocks etc. etc. SC8E may be $389 but look at 4WD 1/10 buggies and they are $340 ish. Say Tekin RX8 combo is $330, decent sensorless 1/10 combo is same price. SC8E probably would sell better if there was a class and competition for it,for once AE has been the 1st to bring out a class with no-one else (look at 4wd buggies, they took forever to come out with a buggy) Would be nice to if AE bought out a nitro kit roller instead of a rtr but most people covert to brushless anyway.

Thats the key though, the manufacturers dont make the classes, they have to make a car that is desirable and affordable and when theres enough of them showing up at the races your local tracks make classes for them. I have lived all over this country and some classes that are huge in some parts dont even exist in others! I really like the sc8 but its twice as much money as the sc10 and I dont think it would be twice as much fun and I think thats what most people think and thats why not many of them have been sold.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brizzle
og rc10 and rgd customs you guys are both talking about a low volume car. If you look at how many of these short course trucks have sold and will be sold that cuts costs drastically cause there selling 100 times more of them than the car you guys are debating over. Plus doing it the way I said in my previous post where you just add to an existing proven platform it could be done for ALOT less than the car your discusing.
I can see your point of view, though I dont agree that a B44 is a low volume car, and I can agree that the slash is high in volume. In all fairness the b44 is 2 years old, and the slash is rather new with a lot of competitin "copying" there idea.

I was mainly mentioning the b44 due to the fact it was associated, as was the sc10 in the inital postings, and trying to relate it to the fact that to make a truck you can take that existing plat form, as you mentioned, stretch it a little, longer a arms, longer cvd's and truck tires.

Not re inventing a new truck, just working of of whats existing, which would be similar to the B4, T4 and SC10 group. Which is also how I came up with what I thought it may cost(ish)
Old 08-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Here are some things to think about. The slash class is the biggest class at our track right now. They're CHEAP and (so far) don't break easily. Of course like most racers do, most have converted the CHEAP car to brushless and added 1/8 scale tire conversions and ruined the premise of the car to begin with.

As far as the price difference from 2wd to 4wd: I would believe that the profit margin for a 4wd car would be less for the manufacture simply because they expect to make the difference selling the extra parts. More driveshafts to maintain, more stress on components, more driven tires to wear out. Kick-up on a 2wd makes the car more forgiving when you land. NO kick-up in 4wd.

You can't just add another diff and driveshaft and think you have a 4wd class. The chassis will have to change to adjust for battery placement and center driveshaft / center diff. Otherwise the B4 and B44 would look very similar. Why not keep a proven platform (B4) and just add a diff and driveshaft? Because it doesn't work. Why not just enjoy the slash class the way it is and not dilute the dwindling crowds any more?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

out here since electric is making a comeback, pretty much have classes separated by configuration (2wd, 4wd) and 1/10 and smaller, 1/8 and bigger.

For electrics that works out right now to a 1/10 2wd class, and a 1/10 and smaller 4wd class since the Hyper 12 Mini-T has interest out here and even those new 1/16 traxxas vehicles are being ran.

In the end, at least in my opinion, to keep turnout up per class, may be we need to be willing to compress the classes till there are plenty in each class to warranty a split. Running in a 3 man show isn't fun. I rather have technology do some sorting of drivers if needed versus running that way.

nothing says you can't run the 4wd SCs with the 2wd SCs and count the 4wd vehicles seperately. with similar sizes, shouldn't be an issue.

I am very interested in a wheeler SC class. And yes it is possible to get the price down. Its not like the current SC 2wd vehicles are using the best of the best when it comes to the parts that are on them anyway. do that with the wheelers too.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
I can see your point of view, though I dont agree that a B44 is a low volume car, and I can agree that the slash is high in volume. In all fairness the b44 is 2 years old, and the slash is rather new with a lot of competitin "copying" there idea.

I was mainly mentioning the b44 due to the fact it was associated, as was the sc10 in the inital postings, and trying to relate it to the fact that to make a truck you can take that existing plat form, as you mentioned, stretch it a little, longer a arms, longer cvd's and truck tires.

Not re inventing a new truck, just working of of whats existing, which would be similar to the B4, T4 and SC10 group. Which is also how I came up with what I thought it may cost(ish)
Ya I didnt meen the b44 was low volume in a bad way, I think its a great car and alot more hightech than a slash. I havnt been to a pep boys in a loooong time but a friend of mine who isnt even into rc told me he saw the slash's being sold in pep boys now! Now thats pretty main stream! If it were a rock band we could all say they sold out and we dont like them anymore haha! But I think traxxas has done alot for this hobby and everyone else that is jumping on the short course band wagon traxxas started is only going to make it better. We need a change in off road racing and this is it so roll with it. The guys that are trying to push this away to keep the same old 1/10th scale trucks and buggies are the reason the hobby isnt growing. I remember when the touring cars first came out 10 or more years ago and everyone wanted there same old pan cars for on road but touring cars took over alot of tracks for a long time now so maybe the 15-20 year old buggies and trucks are like the pan cars of the old days and the short course trucks will push those out? Who knows maybe its just a trend that will go away but for now it seems like the way to go
Old 08-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

everyones talking about how much its going to cost, whats a crt5 cost
Old 08-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brizzle
We need a change in off road racing and this is it so roll with it. The guys that are trying to push this away to keep the same old 1/10th scale trucks and buggies are the reason the hobby isnt growing. I remember when the touring cars first came out 10 or more years ago and everyone wanted there same old pan cars for on road but touring cars took over alot of tracks for a long time now so maybe the 15-20 year old buggies and trucks are like the pan cars of the old days and the short course trucks will push those out? Who knows maybe its just a trend that will go away but for now it seems like the way to go
Good point.

It seems that 1/8 scale brushless buggies and SC Trucks are the new wave.

I'm still feeling the market can handle a 4wd SC, but I do see that many get scared diluting classes. Maybe it's time you stop worrying, sell your relics, and go with what the market is pushing.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markhat250
Good point.

It seems that 1/8 scale brushless buggies and SC Trucks are the new wave.

I'm still feeling the market can handle a 4wd SC, but I do see that many get scared diluting classes. Maybe it's time you stop worrying, sell your relics, and go with what the market is pushing.
The only classes we are racing right now are Slash, 1/8 buggy (combined), 1/8 truggy (combined), monster truck (2wd or 4wd) and Baja (bastards tear up the track) No 1/10 buggy or truck.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jnyrcr
everyones talking about how much its going to cost, whats a crt5 cost
I think the best guage of what OFNAs 4wd SC trucks will cost is the Hyper mini-st, which can be purchased as a roller for $160-$200. It has 4wd with 3 diffs that can handle a lot of power. I assume OFNA will just extend the chassis and slap a SCT body on it. My guess is $200-$240 as a roller.

This is still much more than a RTR Slash, SC10, Strike, or Blitz because you still need an ESC, motor, steering servo and radio system. All of this stuff will add at least $100, but more like $250 if you want to get quality electronics.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by stiltskin
The only classes we are racing right now are Slash, 1/8 buggy (combined), 1/8 truggy (combined), monster truck (2wd or 4wd) and Baja (bastards tear up the track) No 1/10 buggy or truck.
Thats a sign of the times my man Things are changing.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nougat
I think the best guage of what OFNAs 4wd SC trucks will cost is the Hyper mini-st, which can be purchased as a roller for $160-$200. It has 4wd with 3 diffs that can handle a lot of power. I assume OFNA will just extend the chassis and slap a SCT body on it. My guess is $200-$240 as a roller.

This is still much more than a RTR Slash, SC10, Strike, or Blitz because you still need an ESC, motor, steering servo and radio system. All of this stuff will add at least $100, but more like $250 if you want to get quality electronics.
Thats good though we dont need 10 different rtr kits. We will have 5 to choose from here in the next month or so. If you want to race short course on a budget run the rtr in a stock class and then the 4wd in an unlimited class or something. Im sure there will be classes added and changed as they come out with new versions of trucks for short course.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by markhat250
Anyhoo, I thought i'de stir up some talk on what I personally think will be a HUGE class in the very near future.
I agree.

I'm very excited about the 4WD SC class. Since there wasn't an electric 4WD SC to begin with, it kept me from jumping into SC from the start.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Are there any current 4wd trucks out there, at least 10th or larger, that actually run on the 540 motors?

Most of the larger 4wd have the HV and dual battery set ups. I know the mini 4wds are using the 380s but if there is actually a sc10 wheeler, what will power it?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
Are there any current 4wd trucks out there, at least 10th or larger, that actually run on the 540 motors?
I think the Jammin' SCRT10 that's coming out shortly is the only one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.