Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mamba Monster Esc reliability issues??? >

Mamba Monster Esc reliability issues???

Mamba Monster Esc reliability issues???

Old 08-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Mamba Monster Esc reliability issues???

Hey guys...still in the process of building my first brushless buggy. As my handle implies..I've been around nitro engines for years and all this is new to me...but I do believe that brushless is the wave of the future..so I am excited about this new project.

I've decided on my new brushless system. I am gonna go with the Mamba Max monster 2200KV..with possibly a turnigy 5000ma 4s-15c. Question is I've been reading threads on here and seems like the mamba esc's have issues. People always saying they are smoking them left and right...is that right?? I mean I really dont want to spend 250 on my setup then smoking it after a few runs. I mean my Novarossi's are finicky to tune and all but I certainly get my 5 or 6 gallons out of them..so I'd like for everyone to share their experiences with the MMM systems or any 1:8th esc's in general. If my choice of MMM isnt good then what else? I 've been told to stay away from novaks so it only leaves the tekin. I dont mind spending a lil more but I dont want to burn the esc's up all the time. Also I need unbiased advice on C ratings on batteries.. Is a 15C battery good enuf to run the brushless setup? People tend to tell me to buy the most expensive crap but seem to me just to bash around with occasional racing would be enuf....any explaination on the C rating for the battery as it relates to performance and motor/esc longevity would be appreciated...thanks for helping an old "newbie"
Old 08-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitronutzzz
Hey guys...still in the process of building my first brushless buggy. As my handle implies..I've been around nitro engines for years and all this is new to me...but I do believe that brushless is the wave of the future..so I am excited about this new project.

I've decided on my new brushless system. I am gonna go with the Mamba Max monster 2200KV..with possibly a turnigy 5000ma 4s-15c. Question is I've been reading threads on here and seems like the mamba esc's have issues. People always saying they are smoking them left and right...is that right?? I mean I really dont want to spend 250 on my setup then smoking it after a few runs. I mean my Novarossi's are finicky to tune and all but I certainly get my 5 or 6 gallons out of them..so I'd like for everyone to share their experiences with the MMM systems or any 1:8th esc's in general. If my choice of MMM isnt good then what else? I 've been told to stay away from novaks so it only leaves the tekin. I dont mind spending a lil more but I dont want to burn the esc's up all the time. Also I need unbiased advice on C ratings on batteries.. Is a 15C battery good enuf to run the brushless setup? People tend to tell me to buy the most expensive crap but seem to me just to bash around with occasional racing would be enuf....any explaination on the C rating for the battery as it relates to performance and motor/esc longevity would be appreciated...thanks for helping an old "newbie"
You should go higher than 15C. You will find 25 and 30C for not much more money there. The Zippy and Rhino brands have higher discharge LiPOs. 30C is better than a 15C.

C-rating. Imagine a 1C 5000mAH battery. It can discharge at 5A continuously. The 2200 and 2650 Mamba motors are like 1200 Watt motors. You need up to 100A or higher (peak) to really run them well. So, that's why 15C 5000mAh batteries may not be enough. 15 x 5 = 75A discharge continuous. Castle says get batteries that you will use at 80% of their continuous discharge rate. 30C makes sense for that. It works for you - you said you'd like to spend just a little more - 4S1P 30C 5000's are just a little more than the 15C and 20-25C.

A lot of people are racing with MMM's. If you buy it from a dealer - you get a 1-year warranty from Castle and you can send it in for replacement if you do smoke it.

You racing with Nitros? 20-30minute mains? You may want to choose a motor and battery to let you run the whole race rather than require a battery change to make it. You can go with a 1300KV motor from other companies and use a 6S1P battery. You effectively get the same result but have more capacity on-board along with what should be a cooler-running motor and battery. Higher voltage offsets amperage draw to deliver power (in watts).
Old 08-04-2009, 05:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Do the Maths if your battery is rated below 120 Amps (ie 5000mah 25c is 125 Amps) it could be an issue. Even on 4s Lipo.

IMO, having had 3 of the MMM's it is NOT reliable over 4s Lipo, and that is an issue!

On 6s, irrespective of battery, the MMM seem to be prone to smoking.

Need proof?

Old 08-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmcvicker
You should go higher than 15C. You will find 25 and 30C for not much more money there. The Zippy and Rhino brands have higher discharge LiPOs. 30C is better than a 15C.

C-rating. Imagine a 1C 5000mAH battery. It can discharge at 5A continuously. The 2200 and 2650 Mamba motors are like 1200 Watt motors. You need up to 100A or higher (peak) to really run them well. So, that's why 15C 5000mAh batteries may not be enough. 15 x 5 = 75A discharge continuous. Castle says get batteries that you will use at 80% of their continuous discharge rate. 30C makes sense for that. It works for you - you said you'd like to spend just a little more - 4S1P 30C 5000's are just a little more than the 15C and 20-25C.

A lot of people are racing with MMM's. If you buy it from a dealer - you get a 1-year warranty from Castle and you can send it in for replacement if you do smoke it.

You racing with Nitros? 20-30minute mains? You may want to choose a motor and battery to let you run the whole race rather than require a battery change to make it. You can go with a 1300KV motor from other companies and use a 6S1P battery. You effectively get the same result but have more capacity on-board along with what should be a cooler-running motor and battery. Higher voltage offsets amperage draw to deliver power (in watts).
awesome explaination dude..but I've already bought a battery that's 15c--only 3000ma at that(ebay special)>>SO CAN I USE THAT BATTERY? or will I cause significant damage to motor/esc/battery if it doesnt have enuf juice?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Old 08-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What caused the smoke / fires?

Is it the battery? Overheating ESC from gearing? First generation ESC's?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last I heard was that the only problem the 1/8 MMMs had was when you tried to run them on 6s for extended periods...looks like plenty of people have already done that though.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nitronutzzz
awesome explaination dude..but I've already bought a battery that's 15c--only 3000ma at that(ebay special)>>SO CAN I USE THAT BATTERY? or will I cause significant damage to motor/esc/battery if it doesnt have enuf juice?
3000mAh 15C can deliver (let's do the math...)

3 * 15C = 45 Amps. When a MMM can and will try to draw 100A or higher, you will possibly puff or worse the LiPo.

I would ask to return it. That is more for 1/10 scale or lower.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vannon
What caused the smoke / fires?

Is it the battery? Overheating ESC from gearing? First generation ESC's?
yeah really
Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Go with Tekin......
Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

From what I've seen the current generation of MMM are pretty solid. The only issue I've seen recently was a case coming apart and knocking a couple components loose on the circuit board. However this would not have happened if the ESC had been properly strapped down.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Initiate

My first V3 failed, but issue I think is Kinda unknown. If you do some research into the matter you'll find many ESC fail due to the massive voltage spikes under breaking. High quality batteries and connectors help to eleminate this.
I run 5s setups in my buggy and truggy with 1700kv and 1650kv motors. Helps to keep the current draw down and effiency up, and still have some voltage overhead on the capacitors in the MMM.
15c 3000mah is not enough for your buggy. I would go 25C 5000 on a 4s setup minimum, which should leave room for play.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I've had 2 MMM's fail(V1 & V3). I have since went with Mamba Max on 1/8 scale and had 0 issues. Another guy at our track runs them with 0 issues. I seen 2 Tekins not work this past weekend, the lights were working with throttle inputs but no motor action. Also 1 guy had a MMM he just got back from Castle hooked up and it cogged like a motor wire was off. I love my MM's-that's my OPINION, I will not say everything else is trash like other people on this site.

As for batteries 3000mah 15C is not enough. As stated earlier that's only 45 amps continuous. I tested my Nue 2650kv motor once under load and it pulled 76amps as long as I held it so I would recommend something with 100amps continuous or higher. 5000mah 20C is common and rated at that. Go 20C or higher for sure.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

I have run the MMM V3 in an AE FT RC8T, Neu 2200, 4s, 20c-35c batts, for several months of racing with no issues. For the record, I am getting ready to put together a new buggy and will probably go with Tekin. Why?.....I'm an unloyal whore that likes to try everything on the market.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

my original V1 worked from when I got it when it came out till when I sent it in to get a V3. The V3 died, but the replacement has been great.

Its tough to say. I would think 6S usuage with an appropriate KV motor should run the electronics cooler, at least, that is what people have said.

On 4S, the MMM has been pretty reliable.

I just think at this time, go with a company who stands behind there product even if the flames are shooting out.

So far, Castle has done a great job for me, and it looks like Speed Passion is going to come through with flying colors here from the way things are lining up. No experience with tekin, but, sounds like they are warrantying there units very well too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.