Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turnigy Lipo Fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

why would you guys spend so much money to run electric 1/8 scale, and thIen buy cheap batteries?

I wouldn't risk my expensive car by putting those hong kong time bombs in it.

What about everyone else around your firebomb, is it fair to put innocent people at risk to save a buck?

I like to save money too, but you have to know where to save it and it is not the batteries.

I also have orion batteries that are almost 2 yrs old and have been run 100's of cycles......you do get what you pay for.

I'm just sayin
Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You get what you.....blah blah blah. Its the same crap over and over from people who are upset because they spent so much more, or their buddy told them stories about cheap lipos being garbage. I have seen first hand many Lipo packs. Cheap ones and pricey ones. SMC, Orion, Trakpower, Zippy, Core, no-name Ebay packs, Rhino, and many more. My Zippy, Rhino, and Turnigy Lipos perform, last, and just plain are better than any other Lipo on the market. Get mad if you want, tell me "You better use a lipo sack", whatever. I have 100s of cycles on several of my packs, and they still spank every high dollar Lipo on the track or the local parking lot. I have raced them off-road, on road, micro, big air jumps, 70mph runs, and just about eveything in between. You guys keep buying expensive lipos because you are scared, Ill keep passing you laughing about all the money I saved.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

don't get me wrong, "zippys" have there place in the 1/8 market, and I do own a few... but for a few $$ more you can have a good brand name pack...
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
don't get me wrong, "zippys" have there place in the 1/8 market, and I do own a few... but for a few $$ more you can have a good brand name pack...
A few dollars more? Which ones and where at?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

really? a few $$ more? try a few $$$$$$$$$$$$$ more!
please show me a "name brand" pack even close in specs for a few dollars more.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brofroe
Originally Posted by burnineyes
+2
Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jnslprd
why would you guys spend so much money to run electric 1/8 scale, and thIen buy cheap batteries?

I wouldn't risk my expensive car by putting those hong kong time bombs in it.

What about everyone else around your firebomb, is it fair to put innocent people at risk to save a buck?

I like to save money too, but you have to know where to save it and it is not the batteries.

I also have orion batteries that are almost 2 yrs old and have been run 100's of cycles......you do get what you pay for.

I'm just sayin
They are all made in China...just some good ole US Marketing selling you the same thing repackaged for 2x+ the money.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I don't run cheapo junk lipos because i have the skill to actually feel a difference and also know you get what you pay for.

I have never puffed a lipo nor have one go to junk. I have been running lipo's 3 times a week since 11/07.

also how bout some of you start supporting the shops instead of buying that hong kong low budget stuff.
this comment is hillarious!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxair45
Very mature way to bring out the insults..... So what your saying is we are un"skilled" and we don't feel a difference, look at the numbers they are the same its uneducated people like you that think because they but a $150 lipo it makes them a better driver(not an insult either just stating a fact sorry if it offends you)

I do have a local hobby shop in walking distance from me but I refuse to pay top dollar for something I could get a equivalent to for half the price. Some people don't make enough money to blow that much on a hobby.
Insults ? wtf are you talking about, don't hate i am a very skilled driver.

anyways i don't have any lipo batts that cost $150.00 as you say. I have 2 that go for 75 and a saddle that goes for 135 but can be had now for 79.99. Frankly i go to events where in certain cases i need a roar approved lipo also i want something safe and reliable. I get alotta performance out of my new packs.

stuff is cheap for a reason. You say it's the same i say it's not. I agree to disagree pal.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stuff imported is cheap because they haven't had the products keystoned yet. Keystoning - the act of doubling retail price vs. wholesale cost in order to create profit and keep a company going. I suspect US-labels are buying parts from China at values similar to what Hobbycity is selling units for.

This back and forth needs its own thread, a "LiPO Banter thread" type thread. For "heated discussion that is electrifying".

LiPo is a chemistry. It is how it is packaged, soldered, cared for and lifespan.

Nobody in this thread (on either side of the argument) has shown discharge curves of their favorite LiPOs. In the past, people have found MaxAmps which were mis-labeled (didn't support the marketed C-rating) and that's why they got a bad-rap for the cost vs. performance (a dark shadow on their name).

Someone buy a high-amp WestMountain CBA with 500 watt amplifier and really "run" some LiPos. I have a CBAII which wouldn't work to test LiPo discharge rates (max 75 watts). But with the 500 watt amp - that's how you'd test LiPOs. My CBA worked great for NiMH discharging (see graph below).

For the most part - this is a thread of opinions versus science. Example below is of a test with NiMH that someone should do for LiPOs (independently, of course).
Attached Thumbnails Turnigy Lipo Fire-energ-vs.-elite..jpg  
Old 08-04-2009, 04:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I've seen a couple of these Turnigy packs go now, all the same way, faulty soldering or a dry connection causes a short and up she goes. It's not bad cell's it's rushed manufacturing, consider how many Turnigy would have pumped out just to take the Lipo contract from hobbycity away from the Zippy packs (different manufacturer btw) and sometimes a few shortcuts are taken to cut costs.

The Turnigy packs seem to be pretty good if not for some that have poor solder connections, the downside is the result of this is usually smoke and flames. Remember the Zippy Hardcased Lipos 4000mah 25C in the red case had significant problems in the same area but not as many resulted in flames.

I've seen a maxamps pack last 15 minutes into a run then the postive wire came off due to bad soldering.

Reed the SMC forums, how many of those seem to puff? First time I ever heard of a Lipo company blaming the climate for a battery failure.

It happens and happens more frequently with poorer quality cells, that said sometimes even with that in mind they are still a better option than some of the prices I have seen at local hobby stores. I can get 5 * Turnigy packs for the price of one Orion pack locally, so even if 2 of those 5 Turnigy packs fail, I'm still in front aren't I?

.... and to the twit who is adament he can tell a cheap lipo from an expensive lipo based on performance, well you're my new hero. I bet you can tell Coke from Pepsi as well right? And you can probably tell if someone's mobile is a Nokia or a Samsung based on call clarity? Every forum has a self proclaimed know it all. Keyboard commando's I think we call them.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

BTW, thats stupid me getting the battery out!!
i was just checking out the chick in the background, kinda missed you.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rick James
Surely Jesus can forgive the sins of faulty batteries?
Let's hope
Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus

I bet you can tell Coke from Pepsi as well right?
I can tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Just saying.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by burnineyes
Originally Posted by ShibbyUTD
+2
3+

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.