Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
question on the trinity raw komodo dragon pro >

question on the trinity raw komodo dragon pro

question on the trinity raw komodo dragon pro

Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default question on the trinity raw komodo dragon pro

i am about to buy a komodo dragon pro, and this will be my first raw motor experience.am wondering has anyone ran this motor and had first hand experience? i have heard good things on this motor but have not actually seen it run and can not find the specs on it. would like to know the rpm range. i intend on putting this in my associated sc10 to try out. i myself really like the power the reedy radon 17 turn puts out but just want to toy around and get a little more out of a brushed. i also have another sc10 with novak scensored 13.5 setup and am close to happy with that. any insight on this motor is greatly appreciated. and yes i basically want to know is it powerful enough to push the sc10 a little faster?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

??? anyone
Old 07-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As a brushed motor the komodo was popular, however, its a 19 turn and the radon is a 17 turn.

The Radon should be faster but i'm not familiar with it.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

the komodo is a vey good motor it should be noticably faster than the radon bc the radon is just a rtr motot rnad not a race motor
Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

that is the way i figured it normally on a rtr motor the 17 is faster than the 19, but this is a pro motor and brushes and springs will make a difference. but i seen a visd of a electric truck race and these guys were running these on a conrete oval with basic speed controls and 2s lipo and i mean they were flying!! i mean these trucks were here and gone just like that. so when i found a good deal on one i was on it. plus this is one of those things i have not done in the hobby yet, start with a raw motor and see what i can get er to do. wish i could locate someone that ran or runs this motor for some insight. thanks for the input fellas
Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have run a couple of these...they do make big power, and definately better than the stock 17 turn rtr motor but I"m not sure they are the best choice for a bigger heavier corr type truck? They are sort of like the co27 and make their power higher in the rpm range. They don't have near the torque of a chameleon. I can see them working better on a stadium truck than a slash or sc10...
I will say this, gear the thing on the super conservative side and work your way up. Plus these things eat brushes fast. Myself I like a few other 19 turns better, namely the orion elements, reedy challengers, and checkpoint moneys. But the komodo is cheaper to find for sure...
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I actually have one, but its the spec version not the pro, though I have ran both. The difference not that noticable in the pro verson and I dont feel its worth the difference in price.

The Komodo dragon that i currently have, and use on a regular basis is just about as fast as my Novak 10.5, when I use the Komodo dragon with my 6000mah 28c, SMC Lipo battery. Its is noticably slower with the venom 3300 mak stick pack.

Its currently in a B3 with a Novak Rooster ESC.

If your using a Nimh stick pack the Komodo dragon should be faster than the 17t reedy raydon motor, and almost equivilant to a 13.5. With a good lipo battery it will be noticeably quicker than both.

The 17t reedy raydon motor is a RTR motor. As all RTR motors, they work, but are ususally the least expensive motors that a company can get there hands on to include in a pre built kit, and still keep it affordable.

Its a good motor and you will be happy with it. Just my .02, buy the spec versoin, not the pro, and with the money you save, use it towards a good lipo battery.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

very insighful info there man, i am learning here! some a the comparison info was surprising to me that you you put out there pretaining to the nimh packs. well i will be keeping a few of those for fun and playing but yes i am putting my first lipo order in this friday for 4 2s 25c lipos. i used my buddies for 2 minutes and was sold!! and my opinion is that when i first ran my sc10 rtr with the radon 17 turn i was smiling ear to ear. i was like wow that thing will move!! but compared to the previos electric stadium trucks i used to run that now are considered dated. but i myself consider this motor to run top notch and full of power for a rtr deal and myself can not believe this is not a $60.00+ motor. there are so many brushed motors out there right no and it is so costly to buy and try till you get it right. and i do know one that is definately in my future the money motor
Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

lol now i am being told that is dated also. so can anyone reccomend the fastest 17 turn out there for around $40.00 opinions please