Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
My Yeahracing 60A esc fail at 10A. What happened to the 60A continous and 380A burst? >

My Yeahracing 60A esc fail at 10A. What happened to the 60A continous and 380A burst?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Yeahracing 60A esc fail at 10A. What happened to the 60A continous and 380A burst?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default My Yeahracing 60A esc fail at 10A. What happened to the 60A continous and 380A burst?

Ok the story goes like this, I have this yeah racing 5.5T brushless system that I was using in my sparrowhawk XB for a month. It wasn't running that great. It was overheating even with the lid off on 2S 3200mah lipo. I did a log with the watts up meter 2 and it showed a 56A peak. Full throttle at with the wheels in mid air is around 12-13A. Why was the esc overheating when the peak current did not even reach 56A?

OK put that aside. And so in my mind I tot maybe a higher voltage setup will result in a lower current draw and hence reducing the temp on the esc.

So I swapped the 6000kv yeah racing motor with a feigao 5407L 3511Kv motor. Tested it with a 3S lipo. The acceleration is alot better, the motor was running smoother, top speed is around the same. Did full throttle then hard brake. Everything was running fine. The esc did get warm a bit not not as warm as before. Probably because I did not run it as long like before.

I did check the peak current with the watts up meter and it showed around 33A peak. Full throttle with the wheels in mid air was around 10A (9.5A actually). And so I did full throttle then brake a few times with the wheels off the ground. nothing went wrong. The esc was very cool, the motor was even cooler. I was watching how the wheels become pizza cutters when smoke suddenly came out after I gave it brake for the last time. So what has gone wrong? the esc wasn't abused in anyway, the current draw was at 10A when the incident happened. The esc wasn't overheating, the motor wasn't even warm. The wheels were all off the gound. So what happened? The current wasn't even close to its rated 60A continuos current. And what happened to the 380A burst current? Can somebody tell me if I have done anything wrong with to my esc? Thanks.

I've tried contacting yeahracing through email but there isn't any reply. My local yeahracing rep told me that I have to bear the repair cost. Their reply seems to be telling me that the yeah racing 60A esc is not meant to be running at 10A and I was abusing it by running it on 3S lipo.

Looks like I'm damned. Lousy esc with no support. And the motor isn't very powerful either.