Wiki Posts
Search

Soldering Lipos....?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Soldering Lipos....?

So I had this 4S pack that would get very hot running in my 8th scale. I decided to break it into two 2S packs for my Slash and SC10(much lower amp draw). I got one all rigged up, worked out well. So now I'm trying to get the second 2S pack ready. I have a very small metal tab coming from the second cell. I've tried about 4 times to get the lead to stick, and it just barely stuck. Any force at all, and it pops off. Is there some secret to soldering to those very thin metal tabs that come from each cell? I'm trying to be very careful not to heat up the cell itself...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
So I had this 4S pack that would get very hot running in my 8th scale. I decided to break it into two 2S packs for my Slash and SC10(much lower amp draw). I got one all rigged up, worked out well. So now I'm trying to get the second 2S pack ready. I have a very small metal tab coming from the second cell. I've tried about 4 times to get the lead to stick, and it just barely stuck. Any force at all, and it pops off. Is there some secret to soldering to those very thin metal tabs that come from each cell? I'm trying to be very careful not to heat up the cell itself...
I would hand sand it very lightly to rough it up and then use quality wire and solder and you should be ok.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Suggest you try some flux. Electrical (not plumbing) flux paste on the tab before soldering. And pre tinning the tab of course, maybe even with some flux. Agree on roughing it up as suggested. Both the roughing and flux are trying to dig through any surface issues such as oxidation.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

I did both, roughed it up and fluxed. Then, when I try to tin it, the solder beads up and rolls off. Am I not getting the tab hot enough? This is the first time I had to go this deep into my lipos... I'm scared and need moral support!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

Man, I tried everything, and the solder just won't stick to the thin metal tab. Does anyone else have experience with this?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Probably the wrong alloy to solder to. I've seen tabs that have been spot welded onto. Really hard to solder to unless you have a 1000+ degree Iron and silver solder. Do you have enough room to put forceps on to transfer heat? Litton has a flux that works with tough situations like this but hard to find.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bshack
Probably the wrong alloy to solder to. I've seen tabs that have been spot welded onto. Really hard to solder to unless you have a 1000+ degree Iron and silver solder. Do you have enough room to put forceps on to transfer heat? Litton has a flux that works with tough situations like this but hard to find.
Nah, just needle nose pliers, and I got those pretty darn hot too. The only thing that doesn't seem to get very hot, is the cell itself. I thought about the liquid solder that's like glue, since the Dean's solder I'm using won't work...
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

you need zink solder... be sure to have a spare tip on hand and to do it outside...

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?sid=1630096&pgid=bldg
Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by whitrzac
you need zink solder... be sure to have a spare tip on hand and to do it outside...

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?sid=1630096&pgid=bldg
Sounds like you have some experience with this... any more warnings/suggestions? Somehow, I got solder to stick to the other pack I made. I guess it stuck to some of the other GLOB of solder that was on the other side...
Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

They make this stuff in a tube called solder paste or something very similar. I have seen it used successfully a few times. As a matter of fact the packaging shows it being used on the tab of a lipo battery!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Sounds like you have some experience with this... any more warnings/suggestions? Somehow, I got solder to stick to the other pack I made. I guess it stuck to some of the other GLOB of solder that was on the other side...
if there was allready solder on it it would have stuck just fine, but trying to solder on a alloy tab with none on in is a PIA without the right stuff...

not all lipos have alloy tabs, some have copper.

remember, the soldering iron conducts elc. it may sound stupid, but I'v done it before...
Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

That's what I thought, as I watched the solder just bead up and roll right off the tab! I was getting really frustrated, and even let my little bro try(he's done copper pipes and such). I'll see if I can either find the Zinc stuff, which may be a bigger pain than it's worth, or I can try the stuff in the tube. What was the brand of stuff you found with a lipo on the label?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Brad is that you? LOL

Jay
Old 07-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pyro18t
Brad is that you? LOL

Jay
Tis ME! I cut that Ugly Losi pack apart and got one setup. I even tested it yesterday, seems to work pretty well but now I'm thinking my motor is about done. That Titan just has no b-lls anymore.

I'd love to get this other pack rigged up, but the dang thing has some crazy alloy tab on it!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

HA! I knew it! I read that other post about you throwing pinions and I was like THAT GOT TO BE HIM!

I don't know what we can do about that Lipo though? Did you see Hobbycity now has 4 new hardcase lipos?

Jay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.