Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is my gear mesh good? >

Is my gear mesh good?

Is my gear mesh good?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Is my gear mesh good?

Hey guys, I am running stock 18/86 gearing with a mamba max esc and vxl motor in my slash. I believe my motor is getting a lot hotter than it should. I was hoping there would be knowledgeable people who would be able to tell me if my gear mesh may be the problem, based on these pictures. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

someone with 500 posts should know how to set gear mesh??? there should be just a noticeable amount of play between the gear at every corner. the spur gear isn't 100% similar all around. in some spaces you can too much or too little depending on how tight or loose it is. just noticeable play. some people use looseleaf paper between the gears and press together. you should be able to rock the spur gears back and fourth while the pinion is help still.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Check your gear mesh with a piece of paper...

There should be a little bit of play in the gears.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There should be a little bit of play at the tightest spot. Not all gears are 100% round.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Cut a trip of notebook paper about 3/8" wide and 4 or 5" long. Run that thru the mesh as it sits. All this is going to tell you is if you're too tight - if you see it tear the paper or perforate the paper, mesh is too tight.

I set mesh roughly and then find out where the high spot on teh spur is - its easy to feel it. Then I set the mesh for this spot. If you set meash in a low spot, you'll be tto tight everywhere else.

Always re-check it after tightening screws - some change due to tightening, some don't.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

here is a great trick find a piece of computer paper and put it between the gears untighten the screws to the motor and get the gears to be tight be not stuck together and then tighten the screws and your gear mesh should be perfect it always works for me
Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sLaSh It UPP
here is a great trick find a piece of computer paper and put it between the gears untighten the screws to the motor and get the gears to be tight be not stuck together and then tighten the screws and your gear mesh should be perfect it always works for me
I've used a dollar bill in place of a piece of paper.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sLaSh It UPP
+1
Old 07-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Initiate

someone with 500 posts should know how to set gear mesh???
Since when did the ability to post meaningless drivel in a forum directly correlate with the any kind of mechanical inclination.

In all seriousness though a piece of paper works well. I usually will set the tightest portion of the gear mesh with a noticeable play by feeling vs. visually.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
I've used a dollar bill in place of a piece of paper.
that is ok to
Old 07-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How hot is your motor getting? Normally if the mesh is not right the gears will strip or melt far before the motor gets to hot. So I am sure it's not your mesh that is causing the excess heat. Your gearing could be the reason, or particular running conditions (high traction low ventilation). So as long as you have followed the above advice, then I am sure your mesh is just fine. Maybe go to a lower gearing, or maybe your battery is to much for the motor (if your running a 3S or 4S lipo). If you put larger wheels on, then that would be the same effect as a higher gear ratio. As long as your motor is below 200C then you should be fine.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DHC6
How hot is your motor getting? Normally if the mesh is not right the gears will strip or melt far before the motor gets to hot. So I am sure it's not your mesh that is causing the excess heat. Your gearing could be the reason, or particular running conditions (high traction low ventilation). So as long as you have followed the above advice, then I am sure your mesh is just fine. Maybe go to a lower gearing, or maybe your battery is to much for the motor (if your running a 3S or 4S lipo). If you put larger wheels on, then that would be the same effect as a higher gear ratio. As long as your motor is below 200C then you should be fine.
true but a 4s with a slash
Old 07-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I am running a 2s maxamps 6500. I will try the paper thing out tonight. So the width of the paper is an appropriate amount of room? . Is running my vxl slash on short grass a bad idea, or is that only with the titan? I'm using stock tires
Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

Looks good to me and yea you should try to use the paper in the gears that will tell you if it is good or not.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=SirJangly;6088678]Hey guys, I am running stock 18/86 gearing with a mamba max esc and vxl motor in my slash. I believe my motor is getting a lot hotter than it should. I was hoping there would be knowledgeable people who would be able to tell me if my gear mesh may be the problem, based on these pictures. Thanks in advance!

I had this problem last week when i installed a new pinion gear on my touring car, the paper trick definately works i also visually check and feel for gear play and i also listen for anychanges in sound. at first i was wondering why the car war running so loud (gear noise) and i realized that i had the gears meshed too tight ( it got tighter after i tightened up the adjustment screw). so i had to re adjust and after about 8 times i got it right. the paper trick definately works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.