Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Oh #%@!! What did I do to my SMC Lipos? >

Oh #%@!! What did I do to my SMC Lipos?

Oh #%@!! What did I do to my SMC Lipos?

Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freezebyte
I would know if I was going past the LVC, the truck in the past would suddenly loose power as the LVC kicked in, that never happened in this case, it started to loose power sooner then it usually has. And the redline zone for Lipos is about 2.7v so 3.1v is plenty of breathing room. Something else happened....
ok, however I think setting the lvc at a 3.2 is too low for this set up and think it should have been set at 12.8. The esc has a programable lvc and I do not think it is automatic.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wikedgmc
ok, however I think setting the lvc at a 3.2 is too low for this set up and think it should have been set at 12.8. The esc has a programable lvc and I do not think it is automatic.
The maximum setting for the MMM via the castle link for the Flux is 3.5v for the LVC, which then doubled in correspeondence to the 2S battery pack. I have posted voltage readings on the packs
Old 07-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

But your useing 2 2s lipos, you can set a custom setting LVC on the mmm
Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How many times have you run these pacs and how many of those times were they run to the lvc?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

well dont limit it to a battery problem, do you have other batteries? Maybe it is an esc problem. Make your call or emails and let us know what you find.

I am itching to try a flux, but there just seems to be a few too many issues
Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wikedgmc
what did you have your LVC cutoff set at? 3.2 or 6.4?
The Rooster has 4 throttle profiles. 2 that offer lipo cut off, 2 that do not.

In throttle profile 3 and 4 the lipo cut off is turned on. Lipo cut off, on this esc, does not allow you to change the voltage.

The cut off voltage is set at 6.25 volts. And the lipo battery pack is a standard 2c pack.

Previous to this lipo I was using the trak power 4900's and after 2 years of on and off use I wanted to replace it with the SMC 6000.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I find it a bit curious that when a MMM speedy blows, Castle never seems to reply in that thread, even in a forum they frequent, and while I hope SMC address your issue, I don't see it happening in a public forum. Companies tend to stay tight lipped and go into damage control and/or hope the issue will go away.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you really want details, here are some photos of the grassy area I was driving on when this occured. Sure as hell don't look like it would cause my batteries to fry like that but then again, anythings possible at this point I guess.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duster_360
How many times have you run these pacs and how many of those times were they run to the lvc?
Around 20-25 times and each time was to the LVC.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

I"m so upset I just wanna throw up. First my HDD fails on the 4th with all my data that I didn't back up, then my power supply croaks on my gaming rig last week, now this week my 50" Sony LCD screen has screen imperfection and NOW I can't drive my Flux anymore due to this Lipo shit storm.

I'm glad i'm leaving on vacation in a few days in the mountains, I hate everything tech wise right now.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

a couple things I've notice when running high voltage cars.. 2s x2s never works correctly unless you build a balancer plug to charge both packs at the same time you'll never have a true balance from pack to pack one will always dump before the other. I had this problem with my rc8e the best way to fix it is to build a charging wire hardness similar to this one www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html. you'll need 2 JST-XH headers( 3 pin for 2s) to plug into your batteries and 1 JST-XH housing/pin set to plug into the balance broad (5 pin for 4s) those can be purchased from here www.digikey.com. and deans plugs.

or I could build you one for a small fee if you don't want to deal with making it!

also if I remember those new sportmax batteries are 2s2p correct? with this type of wiring config the 2 parallel 3000mah cells are never balanced to each other only as a "set" of 6000mah this can also lead to batteries failures on high current applications like yours.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well I have puffed a $100 or so battery too and know what your going thru...But mine was do to my charger switching to NIMH during charging....here is a PSA when it says never charge on NIMH settings boy do they mean that....anyway....A battery should never be ran down to a LVC technically...these are put there as a last resort and some batteries drain one side of the cell before the other and the cutoff might shut you down when you reach 3volts but in the mean time your other cell is below 3volts..well I have seen that before....I don't know why both batteries puffed unless your LVC got turned off or something.....well don't let this run you anyway from RC...trust me he have all something terrible happen to us.......O did i say that my battery puffed at a state race 3 hours from home..with no buddies of mine there...lol...well I did make new freind from it and got to race....and even learned a lesson.....
Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I would not risk running those batteries again. Dispose of them properly. I have seen Lipos burst into flames. Not a pretty site, especially while mounted in the car. All the advise given here was good advise.

Charging lipos and running lipos is serious business, even with the right equipment.

I think there needs to be an industry wide standard that all lipos adhere to. That way everyone has the right connector, right charger, and knows the proper way to use them. Low voltage cut off settings can be confusing, I think manufactures need to provide more education to us users.

I have heard guys say they cycle their lipos (not a good idea), some did not even know what low voltage cut off was, or if their ESC had it. They thought just because they were using a lipo charger all was good.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah... A123s should be more mainstream... they're built tougher... problem is, lower voltage and heavier (maybe shouldn't be too bad in an already heavy Flux).
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alfalfameister
Yeah... A123s should be more mainstream... they're built tougher... problem is, lower voltage and heavier (maybe shouldn't be too bad in an already heavy Flux).
Had nothing but problems with A123 cells myself, as have some others.

http://www.e-savage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3511

http://www.e-savage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3172

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.