R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber186 View Post
I am in fact a 41 year old adult and didn't think I needed anyones permission to enjoy the hobby.Maybe I should come over and pick a lil cash from your money tree
As it Happens I recently lost my job due to where I was working closing....so $220 a week unemployment doesn't allow too many $100 r/c purchases

220 a week for unemployment??? ouch! you should stop putting any money into the hobby, and focus on life.

any money you spend should be on a new suit and gas to and from interviews.

and why are you here on the rctech forum anyway, you should be focusing on a job.

remember this as good advice.

the more skill required for a job, the less people there are to get it.

so that means, get yourself some good skills and you just may have job security.

the more you know, the more your worth.

its easy to replace jose the landscaper, buts is dam near impossible to replace george carlin.
comedyman809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

like i said eariler, i got 115 in it because of buying the esc used( 2 runs on it), getting the titan(new) for free and the monster maxx(1 run on it) for 20. i should have went brushless if i knew i was gonna have this kinda trouble.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by school boy View Post
like i said eariler, i got 115 in it because of buying the esc used( 2 runs on it), getting the titan(new) for free and the monster maxx(1 run on it) for 20. i should have went brushless if i knew i was gonna have this kinda trouble.

exactly. expensive mistakes suck. that is all. i have made plenty.

lets get this stuff sold, and go brushless!!!! youll be very happy, and the chicks dig it!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to JATOdriver

i ran this on one of my race trucks and was VERY impressed, the 1st thing is to cut the fan off and throw it away and buy you a 25mm fan of your choice, i ran this motor/esc setup on 2s lipo and had no problem out of it at all, you cant really argue with the price either
BRUSHLESS FOR CHEEP http://www.nitrorcx.com/ezrun-brushl...--35a-esc.html
Old 07-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
Tech Adept

i had the exact same prob. in my rustler. first i lowered the gearing. got a new xl5 instead of the xl1 and put a better quality motor (speed gem and a team ori)
brushedmaxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ok if you want to cut the cost of the new system then why dont you sell your old esc and you can at least cut $25 bucks from you total out of pocket cost also if you sell any spare parts you may have.
if there's a will there's a way for anything
88NATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
Tech Master

Those titans run forever, but performance drops quickly.....too many volts to one motor my friend, cant believe people in your area didnt tell you that already....like running a 4 cylinder chevette on airplane fuel!!!!
brickshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #23
Tech Master

Default xl5 esc

My buddy replaced his titan with a 15 turn, which i believe is the limit for the xl5, and the damn thing keeps shutting down.... Geared correctly, motor not hot, esc not hot, run anywhere form 5 seconds to 5 minutes....and just shuts off. Steering still works, lights on esc still com on for foward and reverse, but nothing out of the motor. Motor is fine, tried in another car, worked. Another guy at the track had same problem in his slash, tried a 19 turn, shut down as well.....dont know about this esc
Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by school boy View Post
hey everybody, i've asked a lot of people around my area about me burning up motors on my rustler with no good results with it. its the older black plastic rustler with a novak super duty which runs 2 7.2 batteries. i've done burn up 2 motors with this set up. the first was a 550 size titan 12 turn the
2cnd was a 550 monster maxx pro 17 turn. i only got about 3 or 4 runs on each motor. on the first couple of runs, i always brought the truck in every once in a while for temp check. always good. novak claims i cant run a 540 motor on this esc, thats why im runing a 550. please help here.
thanks
I am surprised you got more than 1 run

540 or 550 motors (at least the ones that come in R/C cars) are not designed to run with 14.4V. 540 motors are designed to run on 7.4 and maybe 8.4V and 550 can handle up to 9.6 in some cases.

If you want the speed of two batteries, you are going to need to buy a brushless system where the motor and ESC can handle high voltage. The other option is to buy an ESC (they are cheap) of the RTR type and use one 7.2V battery. You will be slower, but in the range the electronics can handle.

And if you are not aware, different motor and battery combinations and specifications will require changes to your gear ratio. The optimum gear ratio for the 12T motor will be different than that of your 17T motor. If you are at the optimum gear ratio for the 17T for example, and you slide the 12T in with no changes, you will likely burn it up.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickshouse View Post
My buddy replaced his titan with a 15 turn, which i believe is the limit for the xl5, and the damn thing keeps shutting down.... Geared correctly, motor not hot, esc not hot, run anywhere form 5 seconds to 5 minutes....and just shuts off. Steering still works, lights on esc still com on for foward and reverse, but nothing out of the motor. Motor is fine, tried in another car, worked. Another guy at the track had same problem in his slash, tried a 19 turn, shut down as well.....dont know about this esc

i have the same problem: (
Old 07-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #26
Tech Master

Thumbs down xl5 esc

I e-mailed traxxas and they said they dont know of any problems with this ecs..........but here's 3......they told me to send it back but he doesnt have the reciept, so kinda screwed.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just go brushless you will be a lot more satisfied
Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLaSh It UPP View Post
just go brushless you will be a lot more satisfied

I had a Snickers - that was really satisfying.
Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

if everyone does not know.

the motors in a lot of cheaper vehicles use a generic motor manufactured by mabuchi in japan.

they make almost every motor for almost every appliance, drill, toy, etc...

if you notice the motor has a sticker on it, then look at the losi strike, its the same exact motor with losi's sticker on it.

its just a generic 12t brushed motor bought by a major motor manufacturer.

remember the old tamiyas?? they all had a mabuchi motor in it as well, and the old cheap version kyosho ultima's, those were 540 sized mabuchi motors(turn unspecified).

traxxas just calls there's a titan. doesnt mean anything.
i can buy one, put a sticker on and call it the best motor in the world, it would still be the same motor .

any motor where the can is a dull sheet metal finish, with large openings and permanent brushes is most likely a generic mabuchi motor designed to be replaced upon failure.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

even the traxxas titan 775 and 550(i think they have all 3 sizes) 775 540 775 are all made by the same people,

if you use a starter box of almost any brand, it will have either a mabuchi 550 or 775 or 2 775 motors.

all the same generic brand of motor.
Sponsored Links