Wiki Posts
Search

4WD vs 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 4WD vs 2WD

Hi guys,

I'm new to the racing scene, but before I dive in I want to figure out which class would be best for me.

My history: Ive had 2 Rustler VXLs for about a year now, and an RC18MT before that. I haven't had any race experience, all bashing. My employer has a dirt r/c track that I run my VXL on now and then.

What I'm considering:

T4, B4, B44 (and all variants thereof)

Given that I already have a 2wd stadium truck, I'm hesitant to get another. Why have two vehicles in the same class? That said, I know the T4 would be a much more balanced truck than my Rusty.

My questions are:

Whats the gap in experience between 4wd and 2wd? Is there any reason to get a truck over a buggy? What's the difference between the plain model, the RS, and Factory Team editions? I can't tell any difference just by browsing the Team Associated site.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Tech Addict

Personally I find 4wd much more fun to drive, and a lot easier to drive at pace.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would suggest the T4 as your first step.. The Rustler is really no comparison in handling and tuning options. Yes they are both trucks, but the Rustler is a basher vehicle.. the T4 is a race truck..

A 4wd is best with a fast modified or brushless motor system.. given that, it is not for a beginner. With any hot motor, you will break parts a lot more often.. even a 2wd.. so its going to be a lot to handle. Now.. put a stock/17.5 or a superstock/13.5 and it is going to be a lot easier to handle.. still.. there are a lot more parts and more things to take care of.. so again not for a beginner. If you have patients.. and $$$.. go for it!

The 2wd buggies.. like the B4 are a lot of fun! But.. again they are a little more to handle than a truck.. but if you have patients and are willing to go with the learning curve, it can be fun. Buggy in my opinion is the most fun class of racing there is.

Whatever you pick, good luck and have fun!

Jerome
Old 07-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I agree with jerome 100% of the way If you do what he just said you will not be rushing in to things and have and awsome experience. Once you get good at racing and driving a off road track then try a B4 or B44 they say if you can drive a 2wd buggy you can drive anything
Old 07-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Tech Master

I agree 2wd requires a lot more patience and perseverence to master, but 4wd is hella fun. WHen I got my B44, the B4 took an early retirement!
It's really horses for courses, if both classes are strong where you race, just pick one. 2wd cars are cheaper and generally easy to wrench, but it's hard to beat a fist full of 4 wheel power throwing through turns and getting sideways through sweepers
Old 07-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JR007
I agree 2wd requires a lot more patience and perseverence to master, but 4wd is hella fun. WHen I got my B44, the B4 took an early retirement!
It's really horses for courses, if both classes are strong where you race, just pick one. 2wd cars are cheaper and generally easy to wrench, but it's hard to beat a fist full of 4 wheel power throwing through turns and getting sideways through sweepers

Just when I thought I had my mind made up... lol

I think I'm gonna go with a factory team T4 or B4... leaning towards the T4 based on recommendation alone.

Maybe I can adapt my Rusty's VXL system?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

What classes do they race at your local track, no sense getting something they don't race
Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

t4 is a great choice..buggy, if not expierienced, can be very hard to handle..truck have a little more stablitity but if you havent driven a race truck its still going to be different!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

You also need to take a look at what classes are running at your track. If you get 4wd and the only class is mod, you will most likely struggle to compete and you will have less fun and spend a lot of money. 2wd stadium truck is a safe way to get into racing. Most tracks have strong novice, sportsman, and expert heats in this class so there will be a place for you. I love 4wd, but there isn't even a class for it at my track. I also love 2wd buggy, but again, there is not class for it at my track. I had to purchase a truck just so I could race. That is fine because I like that too. What is really fun is the racing, not so much what you race. Go out and watch the different classes run, talk to people, and figure it out from there.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2wd: is harder to drive then 4wd and requires a little bit more skill
4wd: is a lot more beginner friendly in racing

but both are fun to drive
Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sLaSh It UPP

uhmm, no? 4wd is not easy and friendly in racing. especially a racing kit like the b44. the b4 is going to be easier to drive. 4wd's, at some tracks all they run is 4wd mod and they are crazy, using 6.5's and 5.5's in them they are animals. but they can break easier and tuning the diffs, ive seen so many gears go in the b44, it is not friendly.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sLaSh It UPP

Both are fun, 4wd is definitly less forgiving and completely different to drive then 2wd. The cars are missles and break very easy. The problem that seems to happen when inexperienced racers run 4wd in the 4wd class the fast guys running it are 3+ seconds faster a lap and have some wicked cornerspeed and the beginner is out there having his handsful trying to control his over powered car.

2wd you seem to have less power and it surely lighter which makes it more forgiving. It's always the place to start in off road electrics.

Originally Posted by not home
uhmm, no? 4wd is not easy and friendly in racing. especially a racing kit like the b44. the b4 is going to be easier to drive. 4wd's, at some tracks all they run is 4wd mod and they are crazy, using 6.5's and 5.5's in them they are animals. but they can break easier and tuning the diffs, ive seen so many gears go in the b44, it is not friendly.
I agree, a clapped out 4wd is practicly undrivable and a beginner will surely struggle rather then learn trying to control a missle that lands like a brick on wheels.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Initiate

2wd T4s and B4s are popular at my tracks. (There are about 6 indoor tracks within 45 minutes of me).

I'm gonna end up going with a factory team T4. I'll be heading into Team Associated HQ in a few to pick it up.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JimmyLA
2wd T4s and B4s are popular at my tracks. (There are about 6 indoor tracks within 45 minutes of me).

I'm gonna end up going with a factory team T4. I'll be heading into Team Associated HQ in a few to pick it up.

6 indoor tracks!!!? Where do you live? I'm sure many of us would like to move there!

Jerome
Old 07-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
6 indoor tracks!!!? Where do you live? I'm sure many of us would like to move there!

Jerome
heck ya i agree! im packed and ready to go..already sold my house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.