Wiki Posts
Search

New to 1/8....i have some questions..AE RC8B

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking New to 1/8....i have some questions..AE RC8B

Hi there,

I been running a Rustler VXL and a T4 for 6-7 months now, I just got a RC8B with the electric conversion kit.

So I need to get motor, ESC....and 3S Lipos.

I am running at OCRC in Huntington Beach, where 1/8 guys are running novak, mamba and tekin, so there is not really a brand preference is all mixed.

The tekin RX8 got my attention and also the novak ( I understand with Novak I can just drive there and they will replace the motor if there's a problem with it)

I kinda inclined towards the tekin RX8 T8... i noticed people in this forum with 1/8 are using the tekin 2050kv and not the 2650kv.... why ? what KV means ?

Also, somebody at pacific hobbies is recommending to get the LRP ESC with either TEKIN or NOVAK motors, but the LRP ESC is way too expensive... is it worth it? It shouldn't be better to run TEKIN combo instead different brands ?

One last thing, I would like to understand the meaning of sensor and sensor less motors, and brushed and brushless motors.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

You should really do a search around man there is a LOT of information already discussed in detail about what you have asked.

I run the Tekin setup myself in an RC8, you will need 4S batteries, not 3S. I use a 1900kv for our large track and its more than enough power and speed geared 19/46 in the RC8 on 4S lipo.

I would lean towards the new LRP speedo or the tekin stuff over the novak stuff, the novak really isnt intended for 1/8 scale off road and hasnt got the best wrap in recent times.

I have no dramas with my Tekin setup, i run one in my truggy and one in my buggy and both are perfect, smooth and run very cool.

i would also stick with sensored if you are going to be racing, sensorless are just that, sensorless and tend to not be as smooth down low, i have had a Castle mamba monster V3 speedo which is sensorless and it was horrible down low, very rough and didnt feel no where near in control lke the tekin does. the Mamba and other sensorless stuff are fine for bashing but for racing stick with sensored.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

We have several rc8e's running at our track. most use tekin & castle systems. There is allways one or two guys that show up with novaks system, but they usually get replaced with castle or tekin. Motor sizes range between 1700 (my wifes) and 2650. The Tekin systems are a touch smoother off the bottom and are very ajustable and upgradable with the hotwire.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

tekin 1900 or 2050 is the way to go
Old 07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Please read here. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...sion-kits.html

99.9% of all the questions you can dream of have been answered atleast 100 times! No need to start a new thread when it's already goin!