Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Newbie - ESC/motor question >

Newbie - ESC/motor question

Newbie - ESC/motor question

Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Newbie - ESC/motor question

Hi guys, I am an exprienced 1/8 buggy nitro racer looking to get into electric 1/10 4wd mod. I recently purchased a new Kyosho Lazer but need electronics. I know absolutely nothing about what is on the market. Looking for recommendations on a motor/ESC combo that is good value for the money. I don't need the latest and greatest, just something that is competitive and won't hold me back in racing. I will probably be using 5000 or 6000 Lipo saddle packs.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Post Which one?

Hmmm...I am not sure if you are looking for brushed or brushless. I personally would recommend brushless: A Castle Creations system. The Sidewinder 5700 or 4600 combo goes for under $150, or the BEST is the Mamba Max Esc with a whole ranges of motors to chose from (it has NO motor limit) for under $200. If you are looking for brushed I would go with a LRP ESC and a Reedy motor. (turns or ESC depends on what you are using it for). As for a Controller/tx/rx/servo it hugely depends on your budget and what you are using it for. It have no problem with rtr (cheap) controllers such as the Associated XP2 system with TR203A reciever, but it depends on if you want something a little more high-tech. Hope this helps...
Old 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

I can't say enough about the Tekin RS or RS Pro esc's. They are at the top end for purchase, but you don't need to update it, you just download new firm-ware when they get their new tricks. Whenever something like the LRP Spx comes out, Tekin get testing and update their gear to be as good or better! No need for a new speedy.
Ahhhh, i'm a fan boy! lol
I'd say for off-road mod, go brushless and get a good motor/esc combo. With brushed you will need a lathe and a stash of brushes and the like as a minimum. That already puts you over the cost of brushless.
If you have a good 1/10 track, a 6.5 sensored motor or 5700kV sensorless will give you plenty of go.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Brushless systems are undergoing a change right now. The latest and greatest, today, is the Tekin RS or RS Pro. LRP just released there new X-12 motor and SXX esc, and Novak just released there ballistic series of motors and are rumored to have a new esc coming out sooner than later.

Think of it as BL 2.0

Either way, you should be able to get a good deal on any of the models, from any of the brands, that are currently being replaced.

A great value, and a good, affordable combo would be the Novak Havok system, for under $150.

With this ESC your limited to a 8.5 motor, though.

Keep in mind that if your intention is to race in the future, you may want to spend a little more on a BL system that can handle a lower turn motor. I run an 8.5 but the majority of the guys where I drive, use 6.5's
Old 06-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

looking at this forum alone, there's a TON of Novak GTBs with lipo cutoffs right now, as people get out of RC or whatever. Several people are selling them with paired brushless motors in lower turns. Not a bad time to buy used!