Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stripped a screw.. What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Tech Addict

Alien fuck yeah

Nuking your buggy from orbit would only work if you had car insurance, as you could then commit fraud and use the extra cash to buy a damn dremel.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny_S.
Alien fuck yeah

Nuking your buggy from orbit would only work if you had car insurance, as you could then commit fraud and use the extra cash to buy a damn dremel.
lol, umm, you guys gonna be ok? lol one screw is a flat head hex screw in the chassis and the other one is holding together the front bumper and the dremel will not get to it.

What about this? Any good? http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/progrbit_ontv.html
Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Onetrade
lol, umm, you guys gonna be ok? lol one screw is a flat head hex screw in the chassis and the other one is holding together the front bumper and the dremel will not get to it.

What about this? Any good? http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/progrbit_ontv.html
For the flat head screw, get yourself a center punc and hammer. You have a couple options.

1) Use the center punch to tighten up the socket of the screw head. If you can, put the wrench inside the socket, and then take the center punch and lightly tap the head of the screw to close up the socket, which the wrench engages.

2) Forget the putting the wrench in the socket altogether, and use the center punch to back the screw out. Lightly tap the center punch, while it's tip digs into the head of the screw. Go counter clockwise, tapping the punch, and keep adjusting the angle of the center punch, so that it bites into the screw head, yet produces the loosening effect you need. I have used this technique plenty of times, with good results. Take your time and you'll get it.

For button head, or standard socket head cap screws, try a little larger wrench, if you can. Most of the time screws like this need to be drilled out or extracted with an EZ out. Try a left hand drill bit first, as they spin the correct way to loosen the screw, should they grab and grip the head, rather then drill it out completely. Many times a guy can get lucky.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

go to sears and get this screw extractor,they have a small set from 3mm-6mm http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...crew+extractor
I use these all the time and they work perfect!! I havent found a screw yet that it hasnt taken out!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go to NAPA and buy some Valve Lapping compound. In aviation we use this stuff all the time to get stripped screws out. If the screw has Loctite on it, vibration is the key to getting the Loctite to loosen up. The Craftsman screw extractors do work, but you need cutting oil to keep the bit and screw from getting hot. Low speed on the drill. @ 400-800 rpm should do.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bshack
Go to NAPA and buy some Valve Lapping compound. In aviation we use this stuff all the time to get stripped screws out. If the screw has Loctite on it, vibration is the key to getting the Loctite to loosen up. The Craftsman screw extractors do work, but you need cutting oil to keep the bit and screw from getting hot. Low speed on the drill. @ 400-800 rpm should do.
My father is a handy man freak, I came over his house and I was like alright what tools you got lol. Hes like whats the prob, showed him, he said give me 5 minutes. He took a hammer, some Sharp metal picks, Started hitting away, 2 min later the screw was out. Then I found another stripped screw which he couldn't get out, so he takes out the Dremel tool with every single attachment known to man, including a sharp round end to create a slit for a flat head that was like 3 cm in diameter. I was like score. lol
Old 06-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bugle
Nuke the site from orbit it's the only way to be sure
Thats Funny!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Patience and creativity goes a long way toward getting yourself out of a jamb. Of course the right tool always helps.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Onetrade
My father is a handy man freak, I came over his house and I was like alright what tools you got lol. Hes like whats the prob, showed him, he said give me 5 minutes. He took a hammer, some Sharp metal picks, Started hitting away, 2 min later the screw was out. Then I found another stripped screw which he couldn't get out, so he takes out the Dremel tool with every single attachment known to man, including a sharp round end to create a slit for a flat head that was like 3 cm in diameter. I was like score. lol
Seems like another reason to visit your pops more often!