Search

which truck to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Stu
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
which truck to buy...

hey guys. ive been racing for about 4 yrs now, and i am looking at buying a offroad truck. the ones i have been looking at are the losi xxx-t, and xxx-t francis, and the ftt3, and the t4. any ideas as to which way i should go?
Old 12-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Well this first thing i would say is look at parts support from your hobby shop, if they supply both losi and associated , then it is personal preferance. What have you raced in the past, associated or losi? Both can be driven fast, and its all driver prefrance and setup. If you go with the losi get the matt francis, it is the all hopped up kit, and you would end up buying all the hop ups that come with it for the standard kit, and put out 150 more than the matt francis kit itself. If you get the T4 there arent many things you will need to buy other than titanium turnbuckles. Personally though i run losi, and have driven the T4, both are very good. Maybe go to your local track if you have one and see what people are running. Hope you can decide between one or the other, you cannot make a mistake in either one you buy.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

T4 all they way. morre stable, better handling, better acceleration new and better design T4 or nothing .......
Old 12-31-2003, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

If you put it that way, then i would wait until march when the matt francis 2 edition comes out. The B4's have a hand full now that the BK2 buggy came out.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

MMR_Slingr-Your saying the T4 is more stable than the Losi XXXT?LMAO.You obviously have never driven a losi.

I race and own all the cars from losi including the XXXbk2 and all the current asscociated vehicles.
My question to you would be is your track indoors or out,is it smooth or rough,is it hard packed dirt or loose dirt?
What is your driving style like?Are you new to this or have you been racing a while.
There are only 2 choice in trucks.
Associated T4-Nice truck for the agressive style driver.Feels fast but when looking at ACTUAL lap times I havent noticed much.
Accelerates hard in stock.
Dislike's-Not as stable as the losi,traction can be a problem on some tracks as im finding out,Front Tower is fragile.

Losi XXXTMFE-Better buy due to all the parts coming with the truck,More Stable,More Consistant,More Forgiving.
Dislike's-Acceleration is Close but not as good as the T4.This probally wont be a problem on most tracks due to the harder acceleration just causing the tires to break loose.

Look to see what your local shop supports.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Brian brings up a good point, parts suport. Basically, the two trucks(T4 and XXX-T) are great platforms to start with, but if you have an Associated Truck and break it in Losi country, then you are out of luck(unless there are some other drivers that will hook you up...). You really can't go wrong with either Truck, each can be setup to handle the same or very differently from eachother...
Old 01-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by MMR_Slingr
T4 all they way. morre stable, better handling, better acceleration new and better design T4 or nothing .......
What do you mean by saying "T4 or nothing......."?

Are you implying that the AE is so far superior to the Losi that they don't deserve comparison?
That would be a fairly ignorant catagorization of the XXXT as it certainly the equal of the T4.

As to you other observations, "morre stable, better handling, better acceleration new and better design" I would question those statements as much as I would question your spelling and punctuation.

Is the Losi better? Yes, no, and maybe. Hobby shop support and personal driving preference should be your guide in choosing.

You can't go wrong with either one.
Good luck.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default Trucks

I agree with almost everyone. The whole parts support is very important. The main thing to look at is, Does it fit YOUR driving style. I have driven both trucks, and while the t4 handles muck better in stock than the losi, I feel the opposite when it comes to modified racing. The T4 turns into corners better, but I feel the Losi has the advantage coming out of the corners. As they said, the only Losi to get is the Francis truck.Any questions? PM me-Dave
Old 01-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

T4 handles much better in stock than the losi?
WHATTTtttttttttttt.lol.
I dont think so.The T4 turns in more but the XXXT can turn just as well and is ALOT more stable.So how could the T4 feel better if the losi is more stable?
I think your losi wasnt setup very well xxxssportracer
Old 01-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

I thought I cleared this up.
Just because the T4 is NEWWER doesnt mean it's better.It's just because Associated took too damn long to bring it out due to OTHER projects.
There is NO WAY no matter WHO sets it up that a T4 is More Stable than a XXXT.Sorry.Ask Travis Amezcua.
Guys if you run on a packed flat track the T4 and XXXT are so equal its scary.The Associated will FEEL faster due to being agressive but when you look at laptimes it will tell the truth.
I have heard TONS of guys talk about how they think it's faster till I get their laps.Nope.Maybe a faster single or 2 laps but over the 5 minutes they are usually faster with the losi being more stable and more forgiving.
In rough track situations I would say Losi has the clear advantage.
On fast smooth tracks then the T4 may have a Small advantage for the RIGHT driver.
You wont loose with either truck and as long as your shop supports them and your having FUN who cares.
Enjoy the hobby it's a blast.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Stu
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey guys, thanks for all the info, but everything has changed completely. i just purchased xxx-nt drake. lol, again thanks for all the help, and i am still looking at an electric truck, so i will keep all in mind.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Cool stu goodluck with the new truck.
Make sure to get the aluminum rear arm mount if you havent already.They REALLY HELP.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Glad to hear u picked something up. The drake kit is awesome, and like TexRacer said, definetly get the aluminum pivot block, i have broke the plastic one a few times at big races, and they are a pain to change. Good luck, and most of all, have fun.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Tech Rookie

good choice on going with losi. real good handling trucks. i have a losi myself. but i heard from a local racer of about 10 years. he said that the losi is a lot better handling truck than associated. he said that associated is meant to drive hard. you make one mistake in turning or throttle your out of control from there. so great choice on going with losi and good luck.