Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Smile Battery Question

I have an RC8e with the REEDY 5000mah lipo batterys and I'm trying to find out if I will be able to make a 20 min main with what I have. I was thinking that gearing it down with the 50t spur gear along with a fairly small pinion would help too but I'm not sure if it's enough I am open to some suggestions PLEASE
Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cameronspruill
I have an RC8e with the REEDY 5000mah lipo batterys and I'm trying to find out if I will be able to make a 20 min main with what I have. I was thinking that gearing it down with the 50t spur gear along with a fairly small pinion would help too but I'm not sure if it's enough I am open to some suggestions PLEASE
Maybe, but most guys will tell you NO. Expect about 15 min or so... but some of us have been able to make 20 with packs like that.

What motor?

It's not just about gearing. In fact, gearing it too low might make things worse. What you need to do is drive it with an efficient finger. Just like in auto racing, where they have to drive smart to save on tires and fuel... instead of just running balls out all the time.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Smile battery question

I am running the castle 2200 kv motor.So if I gear it like I would if it was an RC8t that would be worse? I understand what you are saying about driving with a lite finger but will that be eenough to get through a 20 min feature?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It will really depend on your track. You will have to learn to drive smoothly and to accelerate out of the turn with NO wheel spin, roll through corners and hit all the rhythm sections perfectly. I would recomend practice, practice,practice. If you can't make 20min. on the 5000 packs you will be able to on 6000 packs. Worst case senerio you will need to get some MaxAmps 6500 packs.

I can run 20 min. + on the 6500's.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yup... driving smooth and efficient requires some skill. You have to be able to stay in the groove, carry good corner speed, downside jumps, hold tight lines.. all that.

As far as the gearing, I would start about 46/16 which should put you in the low 30's for speed. You might be able to gear down a tooth or two, but you don't want to be too slow and get run over. Also, when you are geared too low, you have to use more throttle, and the motor will be revving more which builds heat in the motor and really isn't that efficient. I think it's better to gear for a proper top speed... allows you to get up some speed and coast at some points and also you won't have to grab as much throttle everywhere. Of course, gearing tall is bad too... no need to hit 40+ on the track and at that point you will prob start heating up the esc a lot more too.

btw, I checked with Maifield, who ran this same setup... Reedy 5000s and CC 2200....to see what his run time was like at the RC Clash (where everyone was having bad run time) and he was doing pretty good with it. Don't know the exact mah he used in the qualifiers but he said it was only charging back about 50% of the pack. With 7 min quals and hot laps etc, I was running between 8-9 minutes per qual, and using close to 3000mah. By far the worst run time I have ever had. Normally I would be around 2000mah for that kind of track time. They dropped the main from 15 to 12 min because everyone had trouble there.