Search

Need help choosing tire/wheel upgrade for Stampede VXL

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Need help choosing tire/wheel upgrade for Stampede VXL

Hello!

I recently bought a Traxxas Stampede VXL that has numerous aluminum upgrades (virtually everything). It is my first R/C car, so I am learning as I go. I've been checking out some aluminum bead-lock wheels and am wondering what I should be looking for. The truck has an extended chassis and extended arms, so I am wondering if I should consider bigger wheels/tires. It came with a set of stock wheels and some aluminum 2.2". However, I would like to find some alloy bead-lock wheels.

Anyway, I was hoping to find some info on the possibility of switching to a 14mm or 17mm drive hex. Has anyone done this with a Stampede? Will running bigger wheels and tires have any negative effects? I have just started looking into it, so I don't know if it's even possible to change. If you have some insight into the matter and wouldn't mind sharing, please post! I would like to end up with some aluminum bead-locks, but the only ones I've seen that would work thus far were 2.2". I would guess that something bigger would be ideal for this vehicle. Thank you for taking time to read my post!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I still own a racing pede(first gen) with stock wheels and Masher 2000 M3 2.2" tires all around. I did the 14mm coversion when I worked at a machine shop and had the tooling to make it myself. It was really not worth it. The tires are way to heavy for the stock set up(or aluminum). Get some wheels that you like and any 2.2" tires will fit. I love the masher 2000 m3 because they are nicely sized(around 5" dia), and you wont have to gear it to the moon to not over heat the electronics. I have mine geared with a 17x4 reedy motor at like 17 tooth pinion on a 87 tooth spur, and that is still over geared a little for my tastes in a monster truck.

About the weight of the Maxx tires, they are bigger in diameter yes, but also wider and they make nice traction. They are just too heavy to be used properly on a pede. You really only gain width, not too much ground clearance.
Nick
Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you for the info, Nick. That is just the kind of stuff I was looking for. I was wondering how the wheels might affect the gear ratios and electronics. Sure, it would be easy enough to change gear ratios. However, as you noted, it's probably not worth it. I was just thinking that 2.2" wheels might require me to get bigger tires that will balloon like crazy when they wind up. I will probably end up getting some 12mm/2.2" bead-lock wheels and experimenting with the tires. I've just come across some clamp-on 14mm drive hubs that are pretty cheap, so I may give those a try, as well.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The mashers that I have don't balloon that much even when I had a 12 turn and 8 cells on my super rooster(RIP). If you are really concerned with that, then get the M2 compound. Though, the sidewalls are much thicker then normal truck tires so they have less flex and are rather flex resistant.

Remember that aluminum bead lock wheels are much heavier then plastic, so you will have to under gear it by 2-4 teeth. I ran a 15 tooth on a 87 when I had maxx tires, and that was with a super torquy 19 turn Quartz motor, got a little warm(around 145 F). But brushless and lipo are much more powerful and weigh less so they make up more aluminum parts on the truck, but not for huge tires.

Nick