Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 19 Turn motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I heard you should run purples on the positive, red on the negative as a standard setup for offroad truck. I didn't have any reds in or purples at first so I ran silvers ( the heaviest ) and blacks on the negative. It had awesome torque, but was just too much on the comm. I managed to rustle up some purples at least ( no reds in the LHS till January ) and I am running those for now.

Promatch used to make great 19T motors.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Hey texracer, what is a good amp draw for a 19t and a stock motor? Are we looking to be pulling higher amps like 7 to 8 for a good motor? i got an lrp pulsar competiton and was wondering if a 19t should be pulling the same amperage as a stock motor, verse say a 11x2 mod. If you have any info on this, like what amps a motor of these turns should be pulling it would be appreciated.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Cain
We tested the arcor motors and they were crappy compared to the standard chameleon style motors.

Trinity ones for some reason out of the box are not powerful. Unless you tune them ( ie- fix hood alignment , brushes, etc ), you are better off with a Yokomo can based motor. I made some changes to my dynasty for last race, it was EXTREMELY fast.

One thing, definitly running 767s instead of trinity 4499s, they were just too hard on the comm.
I have been running the 19 turn chameleon base for a while before all the new 19turns came out and I like the Chameleon base but i think the new 19turn with adjustable timing and standup brushes is sweet it isnt the fastest but man it sure has alot of bottem end and it is super efficent.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have chameleon 2 pros a binary and a reedy

chameleon 2 pros are good and have a pretty decent balance of rpm and torque some lean more toward rpm and some toward torque

the binary is the high rpm motor i like it alot its very fast and smooth and the p-94 brushes last longer than the laydown style

the reedy has lots of torque and not alot of rpm so i gear up when i run it and it seems to stay the coolest

they are all as fast as almost everything you will find at my local track especially when i get the right gearing

i ran the epic binary in my 3rd qualifier and the reedy in the main by gearing the reedy with a 27.5 rollout vs the binary with a 26.5 rollout i was able to achieve almost exactly the same results from the 2 motors

the chameleon i ran yesterday liked the same gearing as the binary

and for amp draw the binary pulled only 9 amps at 2v the chameleon pulled about 10 and the reedy pulled around 11 so by using just those readings and what i found on the track i would say higher amp draw meant it had more torque and less meant better rpm
Old 12-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Jason- what did u use to read amp draw? Did u put the motors on a dyno or did u use a charger that shows amp draw. Were those numbers under load, or no-load situations. Shoot me a reply, cause i want to know how you are getting those numbers.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

the amp draws ive given are off my pulsar charger when breaking the brushes in at 2v

i usually run them for about 150 seconds and the readings ive given were from the end of that time

yesterday i had a chameleon 2 pro pull 12amps and it really flew on the track

the reedy pulled almost 11 amps and geared 26.2 rollout was noticably slower than the chameleon 2 geared sub 25 rollout

basically ive found amp draw really doesnt mean anything dyno testing is dubious the only way to really know is track testing and gear experimentation

also note the reedy runs much cooler than the other motors meaning i still could probably gear higher safely
Old 01-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

the numbers were under no load except a small fan that attaches to the motor
Old 01-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

If you can pm me what you are using for brushes and spring setups on those that would be excellent. Thanks Brian
Old 02-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Tech Legend

Default Got a Reedy Quad Mag

Hey Guys, sorry to have let this thread go alittle to the way side here.

My Quad Mag came in yesterday, I also managed to pick up a comm lathe to due better tuning and maintenance, probably my best purchase yet!

Anyway, I am really suprised how big the comm is, I haven't see large comms before, but wow, this was huge. I took a quick skim on the comm just to make sure it was true before trying to seat my 767 brushes on it. Reedy really did a good job, no skimming needed.

I setup my Quad Mag as follows:

Reedy 767s
Trinity Purple Postive, Red Negative

I broke her in for 5 minutes and I plan to run this in a T4 in the monster class or pro class. They say start with a 19T pinion in the manual but I have heard different things concerning quad mag motors.

What do you guys recommend?

Also, anyone know the stock rating of the springs that come with the Reedy motor?
Old 02-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

my reedy has tons of torque but few rpms

it runs far cooler than my other motors so i was able to gear up much further

i have been told the big comm needs a long break-in for the brushes since they (except for 766's) are made for a smaller comm

also i trimmed the tab off the endbell which now allows me to adjust the timing which i like
Old 02-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Tech Legend

I probably take another look at the motor tonite and see if it needs to be broken in more. Looks to be good though.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

truthfully i never broke it in longer than 200 seconds

but i was told that by a local fast guy
Old 02-13-2004, 06:29 AM
Tech Legend

I rechecked the motor and it looks like the brushes are seated well. I managed to have a 6 cell pack charged up as I do this the day before racing for nimhs and just repeak, seems to work great for my cells, and I popped it in my monster T4.

Wow is all I can say

You talk about some monster torque. I barely blip the trigger and it really had loads of punch. I never seen anything like this from any of my motors. And consider this is using large monster tires as well. I probably could do wheelies if the traction was right. I definitely may have to look into gearing changes. ( recommended 19 tooth for T4, decided to go with 18 to be safe with large tires ).

Can't wait to see how it goes on the track. I may have to lend it to my friend for his touring racing sunday to see what he thinks.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Legend

Did some racing, batteries had not been run in a while so they were alittle flat but the motor had good power. One thing I noticed is that with the 767s this thing loves to eat the brushes

Also, you need to keep the comm true probably after every run with 767s. I may try out the 766s in there instead and see how well they work . Also, a brush that is trimmed on both sides like big jim does for the mVP would work great I think as I had to trim the trailing edge as it was burning.

I lent the motor to the hobby shop owner to see if what he thinks as he runs touring.

Finally, when the motor feels alittle flat, can that be caused by the comm needing a cut?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Tech Legend

Just got a report from my LHS owner who is running my motor for his touring class.

He had to change the brushes ( they were pretty worn and I didn't get a chance to do that ) and he used some from peak that come stock on the dynasty motor.

He said that gearing like it was a stock motor in his XXX-S was bad, he actually went up 8 teeth ( 64 pitch pinions ) and then said it had the power.

He said that the Dynasty had more torque, but the motor was very fast and had good amount of torque. It was much better than the Trinity Quad Mag.

He will run it some more and see.

I am considering going with the 766s or doing a polarized setup, 767s and 766s to see about comm wear. I will also look into running a higher pinion, maybe start with a 22 and go from there.