Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
newbe to the rc hobby >

newbe to the rc hobby

newbe to the rc hobby

Old 04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shinta
didn't ever think i as going to have people fight about a simple question. im i main i under stand what ckaspar is saying about changing to an alum gears in the case and brake other parts i main $9 is cheap the down side is i haft to what a few days for the parts to come in, where as putting alum gears in there can brake something and it cost more then $9, it easier to go about it long way some times so some one can better under stand after all i am just getting in to the hobby, and i jumping in to it just as fast and i can learn. and someone that has been racing longer the me would know or i would hope so
Thank you. I mean I have only been doing this for a year but I spend a lot of time reading on this site and the first thing that is said about adding anything metal is that it will have a tendency to break something else. I have never added metal anything to my cars because the way I see it the engineers built the car a certain way and that should suffice for me.

As you understand my purpose was to educate you a little about "why", beyond the slipper, your tranny ripped apart. As you said it was that you went full throttle after a jump which would shock the tranny when it lands. It was not a bad tranny case. I would just hate to see you destroy your tranny , then start destroying spur gears because of the metal diff gears, then you get a metal spur gear and you start destroying pinions or even the motor.

The list just goes on. I also would hate for you to be able to not run at your full potential because you have heavier metal gears which would slow down your car because of the heavier rotating mass which would cause you to change your Pinion and spurs to a different ratio and perhaps burn up your motor or ESC.

These are all things I was thinking about when answering your question and if others think I am being long winded I don't really care. People just getting into this hobby might think that one thing is a good idea when in fact there are many more ramifications to a "simple" change of plastic to metal gears that they may not even be aware of and I think it is up to people with more experience/knowledge to educate the new people. That is the only way any of us have learned.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default LOL

save a New racer money.. OK new racer the truck you are gonna try and race will cost you 2 losi xxx-t cr in less than a season of racing.I have never seen 1 of those finish a race at my local tracks and I only run indoor offroad carpet tracks. although we are landing on carpeted cement. the weak spot on those is the rear swing arm mount..sorry to blow a gasket my bad ..I will delete what I said b4.. again sorry..

New Racer look into another vehicle to race one that is made to race not a shelf queen..TnT
Old 04-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tntpoof
save a New racer money.. OK new racer the truck you are gonna try and race will cost you 2 losi xxx-t cr in less than a season of racing.I have never seen 1 of those finish a race at my local tracks and I only run indoor offroad carpet tracks. although we are landing on carpeted cement. the weak spot on those is the rear swing arm mount..sorry to blow a gasket my bad ..I will delete what I said b4.. again sorry..

New Racer look into another vehicle to race one that is made to race not a shelf queen..TnT
Now that was constructive!!

Shinta, ignore this guy. He has a bug up his ass for some reason. Enjoy your truck and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. There are lots of helpful people on this forum. Please don't let this jerk scare you away.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

he's right the track i go to a lot of people say its a good starter car but to change it when i get the money. but like i told them i im a welder i work at a shop with a lazier cutter its not hard to pull any part off the car and get a programmer to scan it in and cut it out and the take it to the cnc lade and have the holes drilled. but there is a guy that runs one and he is going to help me set it up so i dont destroy parts that fast. he said i will replace parts more then most people but parts are cheap so its not a big dill. and once i learn a little bit more and my brother fishiness school for bizz management he is opening a hobby shop and i told him to get a big building, so we can put a indoor off road and a on road and maybe and on/off road baja tracks and he said yes to that and it will be the only in door tracks in SC and im going to start looking in to track layouts around here and mix then all in to one track or as close as i can. my even set up a spot for a drag track to. but need to learn a little more about elc cars before that happens