Wiki Posts
Search

sensored or sensorless

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default sensored or sensorless

What is the difference between a sensored and sensorless motor? Which is more popular and why?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Sensored knows where the rotor is at all times, but on the flip side, usually can't handle as many volts. Sensorless is probably more popular.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The sensored motor eliminate almost all cogging because like was said it knows wheres the motor is at all times. Where as sensorless only approximately knows where the motor is and because of this can cause cogging. Where you mostly see the problem is if you spin out and roll backwards. The motor might clog when you give it throttle again. The sensored motors usually use more power and like what was said usually only handle up to 4S. Tekin new ESC uses both sensored and sensorless to get the best of both worlds. It uses sensored on the start, then switches over to sensorless once its moving. I am using the MMM and I havent had any cogging issues at the moment, and alot of people I know are running it also and are not having any issues as well.

Last edited by shanty140; 04-11-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Correct info
Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

For racing sensored is by far the most popular as it eliminates any chance of cogging.

Sensorless systems are generally cheaper and popular for bashing, they can be used for racing as well in mod class.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanty140
The sensored motor eliminate almost all clogging because like was said it knows wheres the motor is at all times. Where as sensorless only approximately knows where the motor is and because of this can cause clogging. Where you mostly see the problem is if you spin out and roll backwards. The motor might clog when you give it throttle again. The sensored motors usually use more power and like what was said usually only handle up to 4S. Tekin new ESC uses both sensored and sensorless to get the best of both worlds. It uses sensored on the start, then switches over to sensorless once its moving. I am using the MMM and I havent had any clogging issues at the moment, and alot of people I know are running it also and are not having any issues as well.
What does clogging mean?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cassidy
What does clogging mean?
Cogging is when you go to give the car throttle. And the vehicle hesitates to accelerate. I guess you can kinda describe it as a Low Speed lean on a nitro vehicle. It is a bit different though.

Last edited by shanty140; 04-11-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Correct info
Old 04-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Actually it is cogging, not clogging.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

LOL my bad
Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

It kind of stutters a bit until it starts picking up more speed.

Sensorless is not so bad. It could be my imagination, but once I updated the firmware on my Sidewinder ESC, everything was a lot smoother.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

I like sensorless for the cost factor if nothing else. I get a little cogging with my 3300kV motor on the Sidewinder, but nothing to worry about. I know it will be an issue when I use it against Tebo in the A-Main, but until then i'll just muddle my way through.
I have a Tekin 537 coming with an R1 I got filthy cheap from Tower of all places! Be interested to see how that goes with cogging. They are supposed to be a lot better as they have low turns for the kV. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sensored is the only way to be. its so smoove. plus if you want to run at a roar sponsered event only sensored motors are legal
Old 04-12-2009, 07:29 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gweed
sensored is the only way to be. its so smoove. plus if you want to run at a roar sponsered event only sensored motors are legal
Sensorless is ROAR approved for Mod if you check they approval list you will find Castle Creations motors listed.

If you want to run the 17.5 stock class then a Sensored type setup is better.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Go with sensored if you are racing or are on a slippery surface. Go with sensorless if your just bashing and want crazy speed. (Slash + MM 7700= )
Old 04-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Sensored motors not only elimate cogging, they typically provide better throttle control. If you are racing, you will benefit greatly from a sensored system.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The majority of folks at our local track are brushless.. and run just about everything out there. The only folks that have cogging problems with sensorless setups are those with cheap sport packs and old worn out race packs.

For the same price as a sensorless, you can get budget minded sensored systems like the Novak Havoc with down to an 8.5 motor for under $150.

Given the choice, I'd go sensored!

Jerome