Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SLASHTACLUAR Slash Exhibition Racing in Brownsburg, Indiana on May 9th

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default SLASHTACLUAR Slash Exhibition Racing in Brownsburg, Indiana on May 9th

If you are from cental Indiana, you might have seen flyers about this at Hobbytown or out at HCRC in Danville over the winter...

We are organizing a "SLASHTACULAR" all Slash Exhibition Race to be held as part of the Brownsburg Motorsports Celebration on the afternoon/evening of May 9th. You can download a flyer at www.IndyHobbies.com or if I can attach it to this posting.

May 9th is Pole Day at the Speedway. Our event in Brownsburg is held at Bill Estes Ford. They clear our their dealership (no salespeople either!) for the afternoon and evening and the Brownsburg Chamber of Commerce puts on the "Motorsports Celebration". Check out the link and video:

http://www.indyhobbies.com/BCOCMotorsportsEvent.html

This is going to be fun and chance to introduce hundreds of people, many involved in full scale racing, to R/C racing!

We will heat race in the afternoon and have our main going as guests are arriving. This is an adults-only event due to beer and wine sales. There is also a Pinewood Derby w/big prizes, great food, and show cars. Last year, John Force brought one of his Funny Cars and we had all sorts of cool eye candy there.

Cost to run is $25. That includes all you can eat from 7 local restaurants, a Pinewood Derby car kit, access to all auction items (many from race teams) and more!

I would love some help setting up a track that morning, and running the race. I've not run a race before. I'm hoping to get the scoring system from HCRC or the one Hobbytown owns. We can run without scorning it since its exhibition, but it would be better if we had it.

You will be running on asphalt! We are going to try to get some jumps made too.

If you are entering the Pinewood Derby, I suggest that you get your tickets now at the Brownsburg Chamber. With them, you will receive your derby car kit and rules. Look on the webpage and watch the video, the prizes for this event are pretty spectacular (Slashtacular!).

For the Slash Races, there will be nice trophies for sure and cash prizes also. The size of those prizes depends on if I can get some straw donated. I'm trying to get about 100 bales to line the outside of the track to protect spectators and define the course.

Thanks,

Scott Black
H e l l o s c o t t @ a o l . c o m
(remove spaces)
Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Here's the flyer. Click .pdf to open...

If you are interested in attending, please let me know. We are just a portion of the overall event that night. So, we need to have a good number of drivers, but we can't run all night. So, we may limit registrations. Hard to guess on this first one.

But, remember, once you are done, you can eat, drink and be merry!

Scott
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SlashtacularRace!.pdf (341.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default CASH PRIZES FOR SLASHTACULAR EVENT MAY 9th.

I've gotten approval for the cash prizes finally:

FIRST PLACE - $50.00

SECOND PLACE - $35.00

THIRD PLACE - $15.00

I can use some help setting up the track. If you can help that day, please contact me at H E L L O S C O T T @ A O L . C O M (remove spaces).

We hope to get a timing system temporarily installed. The course will be on the Bill Estes Ford North parking lot area. We will line it with straw bales and hope to have a jump or two built as well. Again, this is an exhibition race, so we all need to make it work since its the first time we've done this.

After we are done racing the main at about 6:00 PM, the rest of the evening, you can just run your car as you like and eat, drink and be merry!

http://www.indyhobbies.com/BCOCMotorsportsEvent.html

Scott
Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Default Track Layout

Mark Lyons and I met out at Bill Estes last week. We've figued out what we think will be a great layout. We will build it on Saturday morning. (see photo)

Mark asked about running a modified class too. I'm fine with that, but I can't get a second layer of prize money at this point. So, we can either take the $100 in prize money and divide it up six ways, or just leave it as is and run modified for the fun of it.

Our racing is supposed to end by 6 pm or so. The Pinewood Derby inside will start inside at that point. Remember, with your $25 entry fee, you get a free Pinewood Derby Car kit. But, you need to get that NOW in order to have time to build it if you want to. Also, there will be food there served by seven area restaurants and over 200 cool auction items to bid on if you are interested in that. We have show cars coming and many other things that night!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails SLASHTACLUAR Slash Exhibition Racing in Brownsburg, Indiana on May 9th-slashtacularracelayout.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I posted this on my myspace page. Sounds like a good time. Will there be parts available for sale at the event? I need a couple of pinions and a spur, but may not get a hold of them in time.

Last edited by MBZ Customs; 05-05-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Bump....
Old 05-08-2009, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MBZ Customs
Will there be parts available for sale at the event? I need a couple of pinions and a spur, but may not get a hold of them in time.
No, I'm sorry but there won't be. Some of the others might have what you need and may be willing to part with it. Most racers are pretty helpful.

Hobbytown was going to be a part of this event, but they are moving to their new location this weekend. Bad timing. Otherwise, they might have broght some parts? Hard to know.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Mark and I will be at Bill Estes Ford in Brownsburg on Saturday morning getting the track built. We'll be in the north parking lot. We've got some good ideas of how to make the track interesting and fun...and we should be able to get the trucks in the air!

Mark Waggoner is bringing over the HCRC timing system and will have that set up. So, if you ran at HCRC, you should already be in the computer.

Everything is clicking and it looks like the weather will cooperate too. Sweet. Should be fun!

I have no idea if we will have 6 or 60 there. We'll just see what happens.

Remember to bring a table and extension cord. There's plenty of power in the service bays, but we need to get it out to the pit area.

Call me if you have questions: 317.281.1132

Scott
Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Bump.... Anybody going to this today?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Nice little setup you had out there. It was pretty cool. We had fun watching the races and playing around on the track a bit.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks!

We had a blast yesterday at the SLASHTACULAR exhibition race! Thank you to Mark Waggoner and Mark Lyons for all of your help and hard work yesterday. Couldn't have done it without you guys! Here's a link to photos:

http://www.indyhobbies.com/Slashtacular.html

We built a huge wooden ramp/jump as you can see in the photos and then also made another one using stage sections loaned from the Brownsburg Parks Department. Mark used the HCRC computer timing system and everything worked just great.

It was a treat to pay out $100 in cash prizes and I made custom "Slashtacular" clocks for those who helped set up. After we were officially done, we went inside and chowed on some great food. John Force brought his current NHRA Funny Car so that was a treat to see up close with some of the other show cars.

It was a lot of work, but we had fun. The wildest thing was the wind...our one wooden ramp launched right into the wind...and the Slash trucks would literally HOVER in mid air before landing. The crowd thought that was really cool.

Scott