R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   MMM DIED AFTER HARD LANDING (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/289269-mmm-died-after-hard-landing.html)

brofroe 04-11-2009 05:55 PM

MMM DIED AFTER HARD LANDING

CAN THE MMM NOT HANDLE THE RIGGERS OF 1/8 SCALE RACING? MINE DIED AFTER A SOMEWHAT HARD LANDING BUT NOT THE HARDEST I'VE EVER SEEN BY FAR. IS THIS COMMON. I KNOW THAT HITE SERVOS CAN HANDLE 11.6 VOLTS FOR A SHORT TIME PERIOD ANYWAYS. AFTER I LANDED THE CAR IT WOULD NOT MOVE, BUT THE STEERING AND BRAKE SERVOS(TEKNO CONVERSION) STILL WORKED. I MEASURED VOLTAGE AND HAD 11.6V ON MY RECEIVER AND SERVOS:eek::eek: I GUESS THE BEC FAILED INSIDE FRIED IT. ANY HELP OR RECOMMENDATIONS ON FUTURE ESC WELCOMED.

ALSO POSTED IN RADIO AND ELECTRONICS, SORRY IF THIS IS AGAINST THE RULES, JUST WANTING HELP.

shanty140 04-11-2009 07:41 PM

The MMM is a very common ESC for racing. You might of bounced something loose. I would give Castle a call, they might be able to help you out.

DJ1978 04-11-2009 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by brofroe (Post 5671365)
CAN THE MMM NOT HANDLE THE RIGGERS OF 1/8 SCALE RACING? MINE DIED AFTER A SOMEWHAT HARD LANDING BUT NOT THE HARDEST I'VE EVER SEEN BY FAR. IS THIS COMMON. I KNOW THAT HITE SERVOS CAN HANDLE 11.6 VOLTS FOR A SHORT TIME PERIOD ANYWAYS. AFTER I LANDED THE CAR IT WOULD NOT MOVE, BUT THE STEERING AND BRAKE SERVOS(TEKNO CONVERSION) STILL WORKED. I MEASURED VOLTAGE AND HAD 11.6V ON MY RECEIVER AND SERVOS:eek::eek: I GUESS THE BEC FAILED INSIDE FRIED IT. ANY HELP OR RECOMMENDATIONS ON FUTURE ESC WELCOMED.

ALSO POSTED IN RADIO AND ELECTRONICS, SORRY IF THIS IS AGAINST THE RULES, JUST WANTING HELP.

Many are running them with great success. Depends on what version you have also. V1,V2 have issues. V3 has it pretty much worked out.

brofroe 04-11-2009 08:24 PM

ITS THE V3. I'LL CALL CASTLE MONDAY. JUST SEEING IF THERE WAS COMMON ISSUE.

js058515 04-11-2009 09:11 PM

Is your battery damaged from the landing? The reason I ask is because the 3 times my MMM's died on me were from nosing in on a landing which caused my battery pack to slide forward and damage a connection between one of the cells. This caused a voltage spike and damaged my ESC. I also have the Tekno conversion so we do have that in common. By the time I realized what was going on, I broke 3 6S 4000mah lipos and 3 MMM's.

snowboard094 04-11-2009 09:13 PM

you can get a foam piece that you put in you battery case to prevent the battery from sliding everywhere.

js058515 04-11-2009 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by snowboard094 (Post 5672095)
you can get a foam piece that you put in you battery case to prevent the battery from sliding everywhere.

The foam doesn't work well with the Tekno battery tray as the lip is not tall when compared to a RC-Monster tray. The fix for me was simple, I just laid velcro to the bottom of the tray and to my batts for the added security.

Waters 04-12-2009 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by brofroe (Post 5671905)
ITS THE V3. I'LL CALL CASTLE MONDAY. JUST SEEING IF THERE WAS COMMON ISSUE.

Go to there web site and fill out there return form.

brofroe 04-12-2009 12:23 PM

THANKS TO ALL. I AM CONSIDERING RUNNING THE MAMBA MAX SINCE I'M ONLY RUNNING 3S ON A 1512/2D/F. THERE IS ANOTHER GUY RUNNING HIS LOSI 1700 ON 3S WITH A MAMBA MAX AT OUR TRACK WITH SUCCESS. IT'S A LOT SMALLER AND LIGHTER THAN THE MMM. MAYBE CASTLE WILL SWAP "DOWN" I DON'T KNOW?

rearviewmirror 04-12-2009 12:28 PM

What is wrong with your CAPS LOCK key? :rolleyes:

brofroe 04-12-2009 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror (Post 5674163)
What is wrong with your CAPS LOCK key? :rolleyes:

nothing, i just don't type very well. just one more thing to not have to worry about when typing, making sure that MY CAPITALS ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE.:lol::lol::lol:

glassdoctor 04-12-2009 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by brofroe (Post 5674489)
nothing, i just don't type very well. just one more thing to not have to worry about when typing, making sure that MY CAPITALS ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE.:lol::lol::lol:

then it's better to type like this in all small letters. :D

freeman 04-12-2009 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by brofroe (Post 5674154)
THANKS TO ALL. I AM CONSIDERING RUNNING THE MAMBA MAX SINCE I'M ONLY RUNNING 3S ON A 1512/2D/F. THERE IS ANOTHER GUY RUNNING HIS LOSI 1700 ON 3S WITH A MAMBA MAX AT OUR TRACK WITH SUCCESS. IT'S A LOT SMALLER AND LIGHTER THAN THE MMM. MAYBE CASTLE WILL SWAP "DOWN" I DON'T KNOW?

Eric you can also run 4s on mm with external bec. Beleive I would have got 2nd place by a lap or more but camber link pulled out. The 1700 on 3s I beleive is perfect for me. I can beat my gas quali by 1 lap.

Mini Wheats 04-12-2009 04:09 PM

probbably pretty obvious, but if you have quick connects on your motor check that =) could be something simple too
Mini

brofroe 04-12-2009 05:23 PM

hey jeff, is the mm totally sealed in gel or epoxy? or anyone that may know. the reason i ask is that the mmm is not and i took the cover back off to look inside and there was a small black electronic piece that had fallen off and was laying in the bottom of the lower case. obviously if it had been encased in epoxy it would not have popped off.

i work on emergency response equipment(fire trucks, police cars, etc) and most all of the electronics are encased in an epoxy or silicone and they last for YEARS under very extreme conditions(heat, moisture, VIBRATION).
just a thought!!

is that better rearviewmirror and glassdoctor?:D:D