R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Truck for kids (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/288887-truck-kids.html)

msmst25 04-10-2009 12:52 AM

Truck for kids

I'm trying to decide what type of vehicle to buy for my kids to use. I have a 5 year old and a 6 year old, and they are actually pretty competent controlling RC vehicles, but I just can't bring myself to let them drive my E-Revo much more, even on training mode. I don't want them to hurt the car, or more importantly, themselves. I'm considering a Stampede, which would give me the ability to use my current 6 cell batteries, and the ability to upgrade later if it's still in usable condition. I think that a monster truck would be better for the yard that the vehicle would be used in primarily, with a lot of grass, gravel areas and some dirt jumps. I'm not determined to get another Traxxas vehicle, but I've been incredibly impressed with the durability of my E-Revo. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Rusty_187 04-10-2009 01:03 AM

I think that a Stampede would be a great choice. It is'nt nearly as powerful as your e-Revo and in training mode would be a nice choice for them. That way, when they become more skilled operators, put it in sport mode and then they can really have fun.

ckfactory 04-10-2009 01:08 AM

how about a slash. very durable

ruffian 04-10-2009 01:32 AM

I say slash. Cheap, fun, and take a beating.

F&S T-Maxx 04-10-2009 02:32 AM

+ 1 on the Stampede. The stampede has alot of upgrade options. The Slash is becoming very popular too and the upgrade options are still coming out for it. The main decision is where it is being driven. The Stampede has more ground clearance so you can drive thru taller grass and over more obstacles more places to bash/play with it over the Slash.

skelly1344 04-10-2009 05:24 AM

A Slash, Stampede or Rustler would all be great choices for your kids. All of them are super durable. IMO, the Slash is probably the most durable of the bunch and the Rustler is probably the easiest to drive. I've owned at least 1 of all of these in the past, so I'm speaking based on my personal experience.

Gerb 04-10-2009 06:02 AM

I don't have any experience with the Stampede or Rustler but I do have a Slash that my soon to be 6 year old is driving. On the training mode he can get around our LHS track pretty well, much better than he does with an old T3 that I have. I would guess you couldn't go wrong with any of the Traxxas vehicles mentioned.

hakmazter 04-10-2009 06:27 AM

It really depends on where you want to lead them in r/c.

Are they going to race? Might want to consider the rustler. I bought my 5 year old son a rustler and I own Caster Racing USA. He will probably want to race later down the road and driving a 1/10 scale truck is easy.

Of course, when he gets bigger, we will switch him over to an electric 1/8 scale and he can pick buggy, truggy, or both, but that has nothing to do with your situation.

My opinion is make sure they are driving something that is safe for them and everything else involved.....Like the neighbor's cat, wife's landscaping, etc....

arcarle 04-10-2009 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by skelly1344 (Post 5665674)
A Slash, Stampede or Rustler

x2 Slash, Stampede, and Rustler are all good trucks. Rustler is a little bit of a dog in the grass if its not low grass but other than that they are all good. The slash is probably the best choice not only for price but for the durability.

badassrevo 04-10-2009 02:27 PM

Slash :nod:

elkman 04-10-2009 02:50 PM

X-10

slashes are nearly indestructable and very good, controllable car for kids and you dont have to worry about them driving through water!

801Funk801 04-10-2009 03:15 PM

Im all for a slash but if your gonna be mostly in grass I would not recommend it due to the lack of ground clearance and not only that a stock slash with a 12t Titan does not get around very well in tall grass. For the tall grass I would go for a MT for sure. just my $.02

vstrok 04-10-2009 03:37 PM

For a 5 or 6 year old I would recommend a Tamiya....just to save a few bucks...

blade329 04-10-2009 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by msmst25 (Post 5665292)
I'm trying to decide what type of vehicle to buy for my kids to use. I have a 5 year old and a 6 year old, and they are actually pretty competent controlling RC vehicles, but I just can't bring myself to let them drive my E-Revo much more, even on training mode. I don't want them to hurt the car, or more importantly, themselves. I'm considering a Stampede, which would give me the ability to use my current 6 cell batteries, and the ability to upgrade later if it's still in usable condition. I think that a monster truck would be better for the yard that the vehicle would be used in primarily, with a lot of grass, gravel areas and some dirt jumps. I'm not determined to get another Traxxas vehicle, but I've been incredibly impressed with the durability of my E-Revo. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I recommend a Slash or a Stampede. I am more familiar with the Slash though. The Stampede is better for tall grass, but the Slash will handle the jumps much better. You can't go wrong with either one.

snowboard094 04-10-2009 03:51 PM

Stampede or slash:tire: