Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight 2.0 or AE RC8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight 2.0 or AE RC8?

I just purchased an RC8T FT, but find that I would also like to run in the buggy class. I have never run buggy before (On-Road, and MF-XXX2 about 9yrs ago).

I don't want to create a debate on this... just want to know Pros/Cons of each other. I was looking into the Losi 8ight-E but it comes with all electronics, and I want to run Tekin's or even MMM. Do I get the same with just the Nitro and a conversion?

I keep reading a lot of AE bump steering issues, sloppiness, balance issues.

What do you recommend? I would like something reliable, without having to do many mods (although it is part of the fun of this hobby).
Old 04-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Both are great buggies and you would probably like both. Since you already have a RC8T a RC8 may be a better option since some parts are interchangeable. Also you should take into consideration what your local hobby store carries for parts.

I have a Losi 8ight 2.0 and its been great to me and I couldn't ask for more.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The rc8 handled really well, but I personally thought the car was very weak in the durability department. I raced one all last year and had nothing but problems with it constantly breaking. I honestly broke something on that car every race day causing a DNF in a qualifier or main. You basically have to buy all the upgrades to keep it from falling apart IMHO - Alum top plate, abcd plates, rear bearing carriers, and do all kinds of other mods to it.

I now have a Losi 8t 2.0 truggy and if the buggy is anything like the truggy, I think you will find it more durable than the rc8.

The other advantage is that the losi just makes a better platform for a conversion because the center diff is off center whereas the rc8 can be unbalanced due with some setups since the battery is so far to the left. The rc-monster conversion and tekno conversions fix this problem though.

Neither compare to my Xray 808 though in terms of overall quality, finish, and durability though. I would highly recommend the 808 if you are consdiering a buggy.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Shanti:

I actually purchased two RC8Ts. For my son, and myself. I really don't care if parts are interchangeable or not... I am looking for reliability... I take as an example Edumakated's experience, where he broke parts every race. That's exactly what I want to avoid! I don't mind ordering parts from Internet, although my LHS carries a nice inventory on most brands...that should be no problem. BTW I checked with the car, and racers use AE, Losi, Kyosho, Mugen, XRay, Caster, etc.

I haven't really read that much about the Xray 808. I know Xray is quality... but is it really up to the task up there? What about support, setup pages, etc?
I keep reading and verifying race results and all I see is Losi, AE, Kyosho, even HotBodies...

Still reading... and hope to read more suggestions...

EDIT: Although I have to admit the RC8FT Electric Limited Edition price and interchangeable parts are tempting. Is the balance issue really that bad (noticeable)?

Last edited by LowBoost; 04-07-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Dont always go off what people say about durability, some people are alot harder on cars than others and can break a solid titanium car if they were driving it, you say you already have 2x RC8T`s, how do you find them for durability? The buggy is 95% the same as the truggy, the RC8 has known weak points and if you take care of them its a great car, the losi has its weaknesses as well, no buggy is perfect, there is one out there for each person and there needs.

IMO if you own RC8T`s you would be nuts to not buy the buggy, would be a pain in the arse to have to stock a completely different array of parts and hardware ( losi isnt metric ) for 2 cars in similar classes.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NJA82
Dont always go off what people say about durability, some people are alot harder on cars than others and can break a solid titanium car if they were driving it, you say you already have 2x RC8T`s, how do you find them for durability? The buggy is 95% the same as the truggy, the RC8 has known weak points and if you take care of them its a great car, the losi has its weaknesses as well, no buggy is perfect, there is one out there for each person and there needs.

IMO if you own RC8T`s you would be nuts to not buy the buggy, would be a pain in the arse to have to stock a completely different array of parts and hardware ( losi isnt metric ) for 2 cars in similar classes.

NJA82:

I recently purchased the truggies, they are ready, expecting some SMC batteries, so they have not being used.. However I drove one at a local track, and was so much fun, I decided to come back to the hobby after 9 years! I agree on the parts as well... I also just found out about Losi not being metric! Yuk!

Can you provide more details on what needs to be taken care of in the RC8?

Are there any differences between the new RC8e and the RC8FT Limited Edition Electric? Seems the Limited Edition is basically an FT minus all the nitro gear and the e-conversion kit... and the RC8e does not have threaded shocks, carbon towers, etc. So maybe the Limited is a better choice?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Prophet

rc8 from what i seen at my track most people break at least one part everytime,not sure if its the driver or the buggy cause the better drivers dint really break them often. but i would get the losi eight 2.0 i seen guys drive them at my track never see them break at all, i was gone to get a rc8 since i drove a associated gt2 but i got a losi 1.0 eight count pass it up for the onsale price ,im actually kind of new to 1/8 buggy i did practice with a hyper 7 and buggy do defieldy jump easier lol then the 1/10 gas truck
Old 04-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LowBoost
Shanti:

I actually purchased two RC8Ts. For my son, and myself. I really don't care if parts are interchangeable or not... I am looking for reliability... I take as an example Edumakated's experience, where he broke parts every race. That's exactly what I want to avoid! I don't mind ordering parts from Internet, although my LHS carries a nice inventory on most brands...that should be no problem. BTW I checked with the car, and racers use AE, Losi, Kyosho, Mugen, XRay, Caster, etc.

I haven't really read that much about the Xray 808. I know Xray is quality... but is it really up to the task up there? What about support, setup pages, etc?
I keep reading and verifying race results and all I see is Losi, AE, Kyosho, even HotBodies...

Still reading... and hope to read more suggestions...

EDIT: Although I have to admit the RC8FT Electric Limited Edition price and interchangeable parts are tempting. Is the balance issue really that bad (noticeable)?
Don't get me wrong, the rc8 is a great handling car, but I know I am not the only one who thinks it is probably the weakest buggy on the market. My buddies with the truggy have also said the same thing about the truggy. I am not a basher and a fairly easy driver, so I know it wasn't just my driving.

The 808 is a marvel of engineering. Yes, you won't see as many big names as it is primarily a European brand and they don't spend money on an army of top drivers, but just ask anyone about the 808 quality. You just have to own and build one to understand. It is on a whole different level quality wise. The car is a very similar to the Losi 8, but much better materials. It is probably the only car that doesn't need a single upgrade or hop up. After about 5 months with my 808, I have only broken one part on it. I literally have a pit box of $200 bucks in parts that are unopened the car absolutely will not break unless you hit a wall head on (which is how I broke the one part on my car).
Old 04-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default If you know me, you know my style

The Losi. They are durable. I land on walls, ride walls and lawndart repeatedly. I always try a different line just to see if it works, and will continue to trash my buggy if there is a chance of creating a new line. It takes a beating. A BAD BEATING.

With that said, I really like the AE it has different feel.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Losi for sure. The durability of the rc8 is poor. Too many mods to make it reliable and fast, the losi is great out of the box. Don't buy the losi rtr e buggy. Buy the losi buggy and the the losi conversion kit and then either the mamba combo or the soon to be released tekin combo. Many problems with the exceliron stuff. I speak from experience on all of the above except the tekin which is not out yet but the reputation is excellent.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Don't let anyone fool you, they are both great, they both have their own individual flaws, but they both can be surpassed. I personally would get the Losi 2.0 Nitro kit and electric conversion kit. RC8 is just as nice but im a Losi guy what do you expect. I just don't like associated cars to much as most of the upgrades are truly pointless to performance. It is all preference but you will eventually customize both of them to fit your needs.

If you don't crash, and race hard, there is no major reason why you should break parts all the time. They weren't designed to crash into trees and cars really hard Just my $0.02
Old 04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Another thing to keep in mind is that those that are recomending the Losi are recomending the 2.0. The RC8 is a first generation and thats why you see all the mods making it better. Losi is just a step ahead and have their 2nd gen buggy released. Just food for thought. I for one wouldnt mix brands as others have mentioned though.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well.. I guess I kind of precipitated in purchasing the RC8Ts. I have never been a fan of AE. The time I ran off-road, I ran Losi Matt Francis' trucks.

Hmmm I wonder if I would be able to sell these brand new trucks + upgrades here. If I do, I would definitely get the Losi 2.0s Both truggy and buggy.

Can I use the rims/tires I bought for the RC8Ts with the Losi 8ight-T?

Last edited by LowBoost; 04-07-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Prophet

if u are a good enough driver and smooth on the track u proberty be fine with the rc8 but the losi eight is stronger though espially if u arent the best driver. i do like the way the rc8 steers in the corners though.u proberty could use associated rims on a losi eight but the rc8 pin and the hex are proberty a bit diffrent so u would have to proberty file down the hexes so they dont rub. i tryed to put ofna hexs on my eight and they rub .
Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Prophet

yes someone will buy the rc18t at least

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.