R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   1/8 scale brushless options for racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/287696-1-8-scale-brushless-options-racing.html)

NJA82 04-05-2009 03:14 PM

1/8 scale brushless options for racing

Hi guys did a bit of a search but couldnt find much, i am converting my RC8 to brushless and am in the market for an ESC and motor and batteries, i have come to the conclusion so far that 2x 2S lipos or 1x 4S lipo is good for racing and is the most legal option in the near future, that a 1700kv motor is more than enough for off road racing and up to 2200 is the maximum you would go.

My concerns are with ESC options, really like the look of the castle 1/8 unit and the speed passion 1/8 units, not to keen on the Novak system despite being a Novak supporter in my 1/10 scales. I have heard rumours that the sensorless stuff isnt to good for racing? I havent used sensorless before, as i run GTB`s in my 1/10 scales, apparently they are a bit rough down low and for smooth braking etc. which are important for racing.

The castle stuff is sensorless yea? I cant see any sensor wires but also didnt see anything stating they werent...

The speed passion unit looks nice but my only concern is it hasnt been as proven as the castle unit and hasnt been really out for to long, the price for what you get is simply hard to beat and the features are a lot better than the castle unit with hybrid drive sensored and sensorless ( i only plan to run 4S so being limited to this isnt a concern ).

Any opinions on a good setup are appreciated, The new Tekin units look good but are still on back order it seems, i need something asap.

TMR CHASSIS 04-05-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by NJA82 (Post 5643825)
Hi guys did a bit of a search but couldnt find much, i am converting my RC8 to brushless and am in the market for an ESC and motor and batteries, i have come to the conclusion so far that 2x 2S lipos or 1x 4S lipo is good for racing and is the most legal option in the near future, that a 1700kv motor is more than enough for off road racing and up to 2200 is the maximum you would go.

My concerns are with ESC options, really like the look of the castle 1/8 unit and the speed passion 1/8 units, not to keen on the Novak system despite being a Novak supporter in my 1/10 scales. I have heard rumours that the sensorless stuff isnt to good for racing? I havent used sensorless before, as i run GTB`s in my 1/10 scales, apparently they are a bit rough down low and for smooth braking etc. which are important for racing.

The castle stuff is sensorless yea? I cant see any sensor wires but also didnt see anything stating they werent...

The speed passion unit looks nice but my only concern is it hasnt been as proven as the castle unit and hasnt been really out for to long, the price for what you get is simply hard to beat and the features are a lot better than the castle unit with hybrid drive sensored and sensorless ( i only plan to run 4S so being limited to this isnt a concern ).

Any opinions on a good setup are appreciated, The new Tekin units look good but are still on back order it seems, i need something asap.

I run the Mamba V3 and 2200 on (2) 2s 5000mah SMC lipos in my RC8E and love it. I bought the Novak HV first and it was a big mistake! Over heats easy! Besides that Speedo and motor were great. MMM system doesn't even get warm hardly :) MMM speedo is sensorless but works great no issues at all yet.

RC-Monster has a cool setup or I would go with Asc. kit either one. Make sure you get good Lipos like SMC or Thunder Power!

NJA82 04-05-2009 04:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the CC esc and motor, i have been really considering the Tekno RC conversion, it looks awesome for the price. The AE one is out of stock everywhere i have looked, if anyone knows where they are avaliable im all ears....

What sort of gear ratios are people running in the RC8 for a 2200kv motor and 4S lipo?

snowboard094 04-05-2009 04:56 PM

yes the mamba monster is the best 8th scale BL setup. I use it on a 4s and it is very fast.

badassrevo 04-05-2009 05:00 PM

The Castle Monster Mamba is great, no cogging at all.
I run mine with a Neu 1512/2.5d 2050 kv motor and 2 2s 6500 MaxAmps packs for 20 + min of run time.

Cain 04-05-2009 05:14 PM

use this site to determine your gearing:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html

gear your vehicle for about 40 mph to start with.

The Neu 1512 2.5D/F is probably the most common setup on 4S for buggy motor. Its not overpowering, but not a slouch either. it feels right geared properly.

As for batteries and runtime, remember this can be very track dependent. at one of the configurations I raced on and another driver using a tekno conversion did, we managed to dump 4S 6000mah and 6500mah packs using the neu 1512 2.5D/F motors and MMM ESCs in about 18 minutes. this was with us gearing to be consistent with the fastest nitros on the track down the straight.

As for cogging etc, i don't notice it at all anymore now with the latest firmware updates. I would say though if you want to make sure its not an issue at all, go with either the speedpassion system or the tekin RX8 when it comes out.

rearviewmirror 04-05-2009 05:15 PM

I am running a MMMv3 with a Losi 1700kV motor. A guy at my local track ran a 20 minute main with the 1700kV motor and a 5S 4100mAh pack without a battery swap.

Kings Kid 04-05-2009 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by NJA82 (Post 5643825)

the 1/8th scale brushless conversion thread has over 500 pages of good info in it

NJA82 04-05-2009 07:28 PM

Thanks for your opinions guys, i realise that thread has over 1000 pages but seriously, why should anyone have to read through that many pages to ask a specific question that can be answered quickly? I might not contribute as much on this forum as i do on the automotive forums i frequent ( with the same username ) but i have thousands of helpfull techinical posts on those forums and help a LOT, a bit of good karma and help sometimes is handy. i appreciate the guys helping me out with there opinions and if i can return the help one day in an area my knowledge is helpful for i will.

I just havent got the time to sit and read through 1000 pages trying to find exatcly the info, dont worry i have researched for hours already this morning alone on the topic :nod:

J Drye 04-05-2009 08:08 PM

According to Tekin, some of the new RX8s and T8 motors are suppose to start shipping sometime this week. I can't wait to get mine, and as far as 4s goes I would think you would want at least a 2000 KV motor at the minimum. I really like the Tekno kit on my truggy as well, since I like the mechanical breaks and I think the motor will probably hold up better using the mechanical breaks.