Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!!!!1/10 Scale 4wd is making me Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default HELP!!!!1/10 Scale 4wd is making me Crazy

Well,
Just got home from another great nite @ my local track, but I'm a bit frustrated.

I'm having a crisis of faith in my Kyosho ZX5 SP/FS. I'm now wondering if its time to drop the Kyosho and maybe switch to a B44.

The indoor track I run on is a tight, clay, blue groove track thats always a great racers set-up. 95% of the 1/10 4wd open cars are B44's and all the top guys run the B44.

One of the guys (better than me) just switched from a Kyosho ZX5-SP to a B44 and now he is flying.

My question (not wanting to start a Manufacturer war)

What car is the best for a new racer that they can grow into.

Kyosho ZX5-SP (conversion to FS)
OR
Associated B44

Thanks for your input (please PM if you don't want your advice public)

Kevin P.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by everything_rc
Well,
Just got home from another great nite @ my local track, but I'm a bit frustrated.

I'm having a crisis of faith in my Kyosho ZX5 SP/FS. I'm now wondering if its time to drop the Kyosho and maybe switch to a B44.

The indoor track I run on is a tight, clay, blue groove track thats always a great racers set-up. 95% of the 1/10 4wd open cars are B44's and all the top guys run the B44.

One of the guys (better than me) just switched from a Kyosho ZX5-SP to a B44 and now he is flying.

My question (not wanting to start a Manufacturer war)

What car is the best for a new racer that they can grow into.

OR
Associated B44

Kevin P.

Well at the track i go to witch is tight packed clay most guy run b44. Some run the kyosho but more the b44. The b44 has more part support because AE is one of the main racing companies like losi. I vote B44.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

OR
Associated B44

Kevin P.

Well, I would suggest to you the FS conversion if ZX5 parts are easily available for you. A while ago, I started with the side-loading straight packs of the 4wd and switched over to saddle-based 4wd (B44, FS, 501x, as an example), and immediately felt like the buggy itself was more balanced...

In the end, it all comes down to setups. Between the Hot Bodies D4, B44, and the FS, I don't really see too much of a difference in geometry so I can imagine that all three of them can be setup really similarily.

Are you using the right tires? tires are 90% of the setup IMO.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
In the end, it all comes down to setups. Between the Hot Bodies D4, B44, and the FS,
That is pretty much the case, I think the XXX-4 is cool, but it simply isn't up to par for today's standards. The thing about the XXX-4 is you have to do many mods to make it more durable, other than that it's nice, the only "belt" driven 4wd buggy to my knowledge. I suggest the Hot Bodies D4, it is a really nice buggy, perfect for any 4wd application. Be sure to pick the appropriate tires for your application, I'm sure guys at the race track can help you out on your setup. The B44 is nice, but I think the D4 is a little better.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Are you using the right tires? tires are 90% of the setup IMO
Thanks for the input and yes I do know some of my problem is set-up, I'm going to reset everything per the FS Conversion instructions.

As for tires I'm running the same tires (Slick Proline M3, slick Pink Tapers) traction compound, and my foams are the same as others.

And Yes I felt the same increased balance and feel going from SP to the FS, just wondering if the B44 is still "better".

Thanks

Kevin
Old 04-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

The D4 and the B44 is where it's at right now with 1/10scale 4wd
It is to my knowledge that most indoor that the Pink Taper-pin and BK-Bar sanded down a tad with sandpaper is ideal for indoor applications. I swear that the Trinity firm Bomb inserts are stellar for indoor and outdoor. The B44 and D4 are very close in stats, I think the shocks are a little better on the D4
Old 04-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm afraid the D4 is not an option, since I have no local parts support. Its either keep working on the ZX5-FS or start fresh with the B44.

Its just tough to see so many others having sucess with the B44, and I'm only putting up the ocasional respectable finish. I know I've got some game, just not sure if I've got a bigger hill to climb with the car I have, vs the car everyone else is running???

Kevin
Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm afraid the D4 is not an option, since I have no local parts support. Its either keep working on the ZX5-FS or start fresh with the B44.

Its just tough to see so many others having sucess with the B44, and I'm only putting up the ocasional respectable finish. I know I've got some game, just not sure if I've got a bigger hill to climb with the car I have, vs the car everyone else is running???

Kevin
I'm sure you can get your current buggy to handle the same way the B44 does.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
The thing about the XXX-4 is you have to do many mods to make it more durable, other than that it's nice, the only "belt" driven 4wd buggy to my knowledge.
Really??? I wonder why you are commenting on this subject like some kind of expert if you think the XXX-4 is the only belt driven 4wd. Tamiya and Yokomo and Schumacher have excellent 4WD belt driven cars. Both the Yokomo and Tamiya are very durable cars, but not a lot of local parts support. I've been running a Yokomo for 2 years now and it's a great car. I can run with any other car and am only limited by my skills. Not the car for everyone because you are pretty much on your own for setup.

Its either keep working on the ZX5-FS or start fresh with the B44.

At my track there are a few very fast ZX-5 SPs. I don't think anyone is running the FS car yet. The ZX-5 is a great car, I would bet you can get it to work for you.

There are a couple fast B44s at my track, but I can't stand the way that car looks going around the track. I would stick it out with the Kyosho, I bet you can get there with it.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bike racer
Really??? I wonder why you are commenting on this subject like some kind of expert if you think the XXX-4 is the only belt driven 4wd. Tamiya and Yokomo and Schumacher have excellent 4WD belt driven cars.
I did say to "my knowledge", overall, I'd get the B44 and start from there.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

try asking a fellow racer if you could run a well set up b44 for a couple of qualifiers and check youre lap times and and see how you like it befor jumping into another car. i always liked my kyosho sp over the b44 but i didnt hate the b44 it was just alittle agressive for my taste butt that can always be tuned out. its all about different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Most guys with the B44 are fast right out of the box with pretty much the stock setup.
You may have to readjust the camber and toe anglesfor your track, but it would be a great start.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
Most guys with the B44 are fast right out of the box with pretty much the stock setup.
You may have to readjust the camber and toe anglesfor your track, but it would be a great start.
+1 Darrell knows what he is talking about.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Get a sub 250 gram lipo & balance your buggy w/ lead weights like you would a TC. The B44 is a very well ballanced car out of the box & that is why it is fast.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

From everything ive seen, the FS is just as good as the B44, the B44 isnt the be all and end all, it has weight in numbers just like the XX4 did back in the day, so theres a lot more people working on setups for it. The FS isnt holding you back, look for more setups to try, the only thing it can be is if the kyosho just doesnt suit your driving style, some cars require different driving style

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.