Search

Help with Bearing Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Help with Bearing Maintenance

I need help with bearing maintenance.

I just took out all my wheel bearings in my old T4 that has been sitting for a couple years. Now they are not in bad shape but they are very gritty and need to be cleaned. I have been trying to get the c clip out to get take out the cloth shield.

These have the cloth and not the rubber shields. It feels like the c clips have rust on them or something because they are being a real pain.

Any tips on how you pop off the clips?

I always used an exacto blade, but I have not been able to get it behind the clip to pop it off. I'm wondering what I should try next?

I'm soaking the bearings in motor spray now to break up the grease in them.

Thanks

Josh
Old 04-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

In any attempt to re-lube any bearing, you can never really put the seal tight enough to keep dirt out. It isn't really necessary to maintain your bearings. By the time you need to maintain them they usually have already started to go bad. I'd suggest getting new bearings. Cheaper bearings in large quantities is generally cheaper. I get 10bearings for $10 whereas Losi bearings are 2 for $6, sometimes more. The cheap bearings do not last as long, but you can get more use out of them saving money in the long run.

If your bearings have any sort of gritty feel when you spin them, they are bad already. To do this put your thumb in the center and just spin the bearing around it and look and feel for any binds or kinky feelings. This is how you know when they are bad. When they fail they just explode into many pieces.

Good Luck
Old 04-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
By the time you need to maintain them they usually have already started to go bad.

Dude, where do you get your material?

If bearings are maintained regularly, by removing them from the truck and cleaning them off and out with motor spray, they can last indefinately. The ones in my truck are going into their third race season and still going strong.

Originally Posted by JoshM20
Any tips on how you pop off the clips?
The way you are doing it is the only way I've ever heard of, but since yours have sat it may take more work and more patience.

Future note ~ clean and maintain the bearings before putting the truck away, it makes it easier to get it up and running next go around.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lightin'
Dude, where do you get your material?

If bearings are maintained regularly, by removing them from the truck and cleaning them off and out with motor spray, they can last indefinately. The ones in my truck are going into their third race season and still going strong.
You must not be getting dirt in them Bearings will still work even if they are bad, it takes them quite a while to truly fail. I have been working with bearings for years.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I don't even bother with cleaning bearings anymore. Factor in the time spent removing the shields and the cost of whatever your using to flush them out....not the mention mess and stink. I find it best to just replace them with new bearings. Their a buck each at Avid RC and the service is top notch. http://www.avidrc.com/
Old 04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You must not be getting dirt in them Bearings will still work even if they are bad, it takes them quite a while to truly fail. I have been working with bearings for years.
+1
Old 04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Suspended

They get dirt and dust in them, but I think you'll find that if you clean them occassionally they will last MUCH longer and your truck will run better and faster. I have never heard of anyone that races that doesn't clean them.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

They get dirt and dust in them, but I think you'll find that if you clean them occassionally they will last MUCH longer and your truck will run better and faster. I have never heard of anyone that races that doesn't clean them.
Any dirt or sand for any period of time generally alters the performance of the bearing itself. I know plenty of people that race that all buy cheap bearings and replace them when they start to go bad, using a different set of bearings for every race day. The cost of good bearings and cleaning agents for them far outweigh the cost to buying cheap ones.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

FREE Bump for Avid.

http://www.avidrc.com/

Top notch service!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Suspended

I know plenty of people that race that all buy cheap bearings and replace them when they start to go bad, using a different set of bearings for every race day.
How far back in the E-Main do these guys finish?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

How far back in the E-Main do these guys finish?
1st -2nd in the A3main
Old 04-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have to agree that the time and effort it takes to maintain the bearings in our small cars isn't worth it. Most folks that clean them regularly do so by soaking them or spraying them out with "motor spray". While this works for getting the grit out, you also end up destroying the grease that lubes the bearing. The effort it takes to re-grease them is rarely done and oil is used instead. This is ok, but will require almost weekly maintenance for this so-called "indefinite" lifetime. If you get lazy after you do this or forget, the bearing is going to heat up and fail... this is guaranteed! And it usually happens in the middle of a race!

If you are budget minded, then the cheaper $1 bearings are the way to go. You do however get what you pay for. Quality bearings will last you a very long time if taken care of. I've had BOCA Ceramic bearings last me over 5 years of racing.. but they cost around $20 each!

The bearings the original poster talked about sat around for a long time... possible put away wet or damp.. rust is a killer for bearings. Water should be avoided and if they do happen to get wet, they need to be dried out if you want them to last. Avoid driving when the track is wet or muddy. It is also important to make sure your wheels are dry if you wash your tires before putting them back on the car. The stock bearings in my 2wd buggy are about 3 years old now.. haven't had to change one yet.

While cleaning them out can work in a pinch at the track, I would never recommend that as "standard" maintenance. For me, simply dusting them off after a day at the track is enough.

Jerome
Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Suspended

1st -2nd in the A3main
Team drivers "might" get free bearings and would rather throw them away than clean them, but they clean the grease out first and just use oil. But nobody else. Either that or I know you're joking.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
While this works for getting the grit out, you also end up destroying the grease that lubes the bearing. The effort it takes to re-grease them is rarely done and oil is used instead. This is ok, but will require almost weekly maintenance for this so-called "indefinite" lifetime. If you get lazy after you do this or forget, the bearing is going to heat up and fail... this is guaranteed! And it usually happens in the middle of a race!
Anybody that's maintaining their car won't "forget," since it's part of their routine maintenance.
Oil allows bearings to run much faster than those packed with grease. Faster bearings equals faster cars, faster cars equals faster lap times, faster lap times equals better race results.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anybody that's maintaining their car won't "forget," since it's part of their routine maintenance.
Oil allows bearings to run much faster than those packed with grease. Faster bearings equals faster cars, faster cars equals faster lap times, faster lap times equals better race results.
I agree that an oiled bearing is going to be more free and thus spin easier.. this will equal a faster car.. but why go through effort and money?? You can buy low-end ceramic bearings from Hong Kong for the same cost of standard kit bearings and mid-level Acer ceramic bearings for around $70 a kit. Or you can go all out and spend $150 to $250 for top of the line BOCAs. This are much faster and smoother than steel bearings, greased or oiled. They really make a big difference off the line and accelerating.

Jerome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.