Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Offroad Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Clutch Springs

I think the clutch nut on the 777 is a little different on the top. The 777 clutch is definitely more dificult to put springs on than my OFNA setup was. I think getting them off is more difficult than on... Neither is easy for sure.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I have a couple friends running the V Spec and they love the thing, it is such a monster a couple of guys just started running them in buggy monster truck conversions!

None have complained of any bearing problems, in fact both brag about almost never needing a screwdriver at track side.

Be careful with ceramic bearings. In my experience, not only are they less durable then quality steel grade 5(or higher) bearings, they are obviously also WAY more expensive. Serious overkill for a bearing not really suited to an engine application. They are more susceptible to damage from contamination and need more maintenace, etc..............Really good for an on-road electric sedan if you want to add $250 to the price of the car, LOL..................Jim
Old 03-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Now that is good info! Rumors can be a terrible thing...
Old 03-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is atleast 200 accounts of faulty bearings on the OS engine thread on the grid...you should check it out.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I put ceramic bearings in all my engines when they are new...and the 2 that I havn't have blown bearings prematurely. I love ceramic, and they can be had for about the same price as novarossi and RB bearings.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys,

Im a 200mm nitro racing pilot for the last 5 years and im not thinking on get into 1/8 buggy racing.

Downhere in CHile (southamerica) we dont have local hobby shops so every item i buy its from USA (mostly towerhobbies).

So ... i need help in order to buy my first buggy, im on a tight budget so i was thinking over the Mayhem Sportwerks from Horizonhobby or one of the Ofna kits ...

Please post here your opinion ... which kit i must buy for a tight budget and be competitive at the track ?

thanks !

PAT
Old 03-16-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Looking to buy some Craddock brake discs as my 777 needs new brakes. They seem quite hard to get hold of in the UK so I'm going to buy off Ebay from the states. They are in Racers Edge packets.

However, the description mentions to remove the brake pads - is this correct? How do they work then?

thanks.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

They just dont need brake pads... Bare calipers do the job just fine. If you use pads, I 've heard that they will rip them off. Craddocks are made from a plexiglass type of material and are a bit rough to the feel. You 'll see....

Excellent choice
Old 03-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by OvalEvader
There is atleast 200 accounts of faulty bearings on the OS engine thread on the grid...you should check it out.
My OS RZV 99P died due to a failed bearing. It ruined an otherwise good little engine.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

JP Buggy engines come with a ceramic bearing as an option, for just a few more $$.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Tabushi
Please post here your opinion ... which kit i must buy for a tight budget and be competitive at the track ?
PAT
Well.. I'm no official but the Sportwerks Mayhem is a good deal. The RTR comes with a bigger .26 engine but it's not quite as good a power plant as the .21 that comes with the Mayhem Pro version with motor and pipe.

I've done some research and it turns out that the .21 motor in the pro is actually an SH PT-2004XB motor rebadged for Sportwerks.

I have not raced mine yet and I'm new to 1/8th buggy but it sure looks nice sitting here on my desk . I've driven a friends Mayhem Pro and it seemed very responsive and jumped nice and I had no trouble wheeling it around a tight technical track the first time I ever tried it.

Unless you will be competing at larger events I would think this buggy would work very well for you and be competative at just about any club level race. At $470 street price in the US for the Mayhem pro with motor and $499 for the Mayhem RTR it's tuff to beat on the bang for buck meter.

BTW... Xray also has a new 1/8th coming out called the XB8R (R stands for Raycer). It will be the entry level version of the XB8. Snag that, a O.S. V-spec motor, pipe, and some good electronics and you'll be in good shape.

Has anyone else tried any of the 1/8th entry level/competative buggies out there?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

OvalEvader.. I was reading all the stuff about the O.S. engines and bearings.. What I got out of the posts were that people were paranoid and were replacing them regardless if there was a problem or not. I actually didn't see many legit posts saying there bearings went out for no reason. Dirt, rust, blown plugs, and improper tuning were what I remember. I've been reading the O.S. thread for a couple years now.

Not saying my memory is to be trusted.. lol.. I could be wrong
Old 03-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

HYPER 7 PCR is IMO the best RTR out there by far!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks aantonis. Just seems odd not to use pads.

Well, I'll be looking forward to a car that actually stops!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Horatio - I recognise that truck!!!

'allo mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.