1/8 Offroad Buggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Offroad Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

I had the old ProCat - the one after the Cat XLS. The Pro Cat had 1-way front driveshafts. I then raced the BossCat, then later the BossCat Works - which I still have in a box in my attic

The crash-back front suspension was an awesome feature for indoor race meetings....
Old 11-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I agree, the one way uni's were cool too. You got oneway corner entry and diff drive off the corner.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default What kind of 1/8 buggy to get??

I am in the market for an offroad gas car and have decided between a 1/8th buggy or a Monster Truck. I want to get something that has a lot of speed and can take a beating. I dont want to be replacing parts due to my driving problems and need to try crazy jumps continuously. What would be a better fit, a 1/8 buddy or Monster truck (or even a 1/10th truck)?

I am leaning towards 1/8th buggy but wanted to get some advise from others before pouring large amounts of money into this. Also, if 1/8th buggy is the way to go, what kind should I get? I want something that can be raced if I choose to go that route in the future. There are a lot of makes and dont know exactly where to start. Any help would be appreciated either through email, PM or post.

Thanx,
Chirag
Old 11-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

If you're into competitive racing, a 1/8th is probably the way to go. They are very reliable, very fast and challenging to drive. Mugen, Kyosho, Hobao Hyper 7s, Xray - there's so much choice and loads of really cheap entry level buggies available now. 1/8th buggies require prepared/semi prepared surfaces to race on.

If you like doing stupidly huge jumps, pulling wheelies, popping stoppies, riding high with huge wheels - you need to think about getting a monster truck. I rate the Savage very highly in terms of quality, durability and after-market parts. Mine is highly modified and is good for racing too. Revo's, TNX, MGT's - all good trucks too. Trucks are very stable and are generally easy to drive once you've got the right wheel/tyre for your track. They definitely require a slightly 'different' approach to cornering technique - but otherwise can be raced without problems. Monster Trucks can run just about anywhere you like if you like bashing!

Or just accept the fact, now, that you're gonna end up getting both!! That's what happened to me.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Horatio
Or just accept the fact, now, that you're gonna end up getting both!! That's what happened to me.
so very true, i started with a swift, then got the xray. now i have a savage on the way, and the swift is getting converted to a truggy.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i think it depends on what kinda surface you plan on running this new vehicle on

if your play area is going to be grass or rocky a monster truck is a better idea because as cool as 1/8th buggies are they dont have near the ground clearance of a monster truck

if your going to be driving on dirt and smoother surfaces a 1/8th buggy is faster more agile and IMO more durable

for insane jumping a 1/8th buggy is the way to go ive seen them launched off of houses and off real motorcross jumps up to 50 or 60ft into the air and land without breaking which is something i dont think you would be able to do with a monster truck

and if racing is in your future and i highly recommend it get a 1/8th because at least in my area the competition is all racing buggies the newbies race truck

after you decide which way to go then we can start to figure out which vehicle in particular is the best for you the biggest factor BTW is how much are you willing to spend because in most instances more expensive equals better quality
Old 11-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

seeing an 1/8 scale buggy turned into a truggy makes my stomach sick..
Old 11-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

why does it make you sick?

i dont have a truggy or anything but was just wondering why you and others like you are so against those things?

it doesnt matter much to me last summer i raced a t-maxx and my mbx5 and was able to beat a couple of truggies with a stock t-maxx so its not like they have a huge advantage or anything

in fact i wonder if they might be at a slight disadvantage to something like a revo which was actually designed to run those big tires because ive noticed the truggies dont seem to jump very well compared to the 1/8th buggies they are made from

anyway my advice is to not to make yourself sick over them its just not worth the trouble
Old 11-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyways to make a buggy a Rally monster?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by revzalot
Anyways to make a buggy a Rally monster?
here's a picture of my landmax2 before my drunk buddy crashed it into a wall last year. still haven't gotten around to rebuilding it.

it's a mp 7.5 with mugen front big bores and a two speed. gotta be careful w/ the 2 speed in dirt, the hundred dollar upgrade can get thrashed in one drive. it was fun to drive, but i still had to dial in a setup to take some of the body-roll out. stiffer oil and sway bars.

this thing is great to bash around on dirt roads, but not on a buggy track - you'll break it in a hearbeat.

anyway, pm me if you want more details.
Attached Thumbnails 1/8 Offroad Buggy-lm2profile_1.jpg  
Old 11-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

with the lid on.

....and if you haven't figured it out, i'm a subaru fan.
Attached Thumbnails 1/8 Offroad Buggy-wrx1_1.jpg  
Old 11-11-2004, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

That looks like alot of fun - multi surface racing anyone?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The reason why I want to go Rally is most of the time I want to go bashing on the ashphalt. The place I race on has the most bumpiest road course. My onroads look like dolphins running on this course. Also this place has an off road indoor course with big jumps. Yes I'm looking for a multi surface vehicle.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I think an 1/8 class modeled after Supermoto would be cool. Any old pavement lot bordering dirt could be converted to a track.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

I've run my Mugen MBX4RR on Medial Pro tarmac tyres. They come pre-glued and work really well. They drop the gearing quite alot, so you end up having to run pretty big clutch bells and adjusting the throttle slightly. But it's good fun on slightly gravel/bumpy tarmac etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.