Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Offroad Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Best Bang for the Buck!

Originally posted by revzalot
I'm looking for a best bang for the buck 1/8 off roader. What do you suggest? Please explain what's so sweet about it.
Look at the last couple of posts about the Hobao Hyper 7's. There's your answer.

Then tell me what isn't sweet about them!! For a first 1/8th off roader you couldn't really do any better than one of the Hyper 7's.

If you're super serious, than you may want to consider Kyosho or Mugen offerings - but you'll pay quite a bit more. Actually -correction - loads more for the Kyosho - unless you buy second hand.

Mugen MBX5 SE looks sweet though - MBX5 PLUS 13 option parts included with the kit. So basically you get loads of spare parts, plus the ALL the options. At £565 that's gotta be alot of $$ though
Old 06-22-2004, 05:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

sooooo

does anyone have any thoughts of 063 vs T2050 yet? im about to go get a 2050 pritty soon... guess i'll find out for myself.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Bang for your buck

Check out Sportwerks "Mayhem" from Horizon Hobby. Durable, inexpensive and available. Check it out: http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/Prod...X/1310-ART.asp
Old 06-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

It looks very good - but it doesn't say how much it is.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default BUGGY

Type in SWK in the search section and you will see the MAP price. I'm sure your dealer may sell them a little less than the MAP price. Check with your local LHS shop. They come pre-assembled also.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

$529 including an engine and pipe. Not bad. Especially if it runs as good as a Hyper 7
Old 06-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Hyper 7 is a good car but not something I would recommend to someone for their first 1/8th. It is not as durable as some of the other buggies out there. Personally I like the Kyosho 7.5 the best (I have a regular 7.5, K2 and K3). It is an amazing handling car and extremely durable. Plus there are more option parts available from aftermarket companies than most other buggies.
If your on a budget I would go with the Mayhem over the Ofna. I have raced Ofna and ran with guys that had Ofnas and they just dont seem to hold up.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

have you tested the mayhem?? I generally don't give a recommendation unless I have used it or have seen it used many times and know its good and bad points.. the mayhem appears to be nice.. but so do other cars that aren't of good quality

the hyper cars are good.. no doubt.. so are the X5 and 7.5's of the world.. I just wish kyosho would make a few serious changes to their car.. not minor nuts and bolts things

BTW.. there are more than one company going into the ofna cars.. ho bao, hong nor, and jammin now.. ..I don't care for the hong nor cars.. heavy and not durable..
Old 06-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run a hyper 7 and I like it just fine. Its allot cheaper to race than a Kyosho and for the most part just as durable.

I have raced against the Mayhem for the past 9 months. It is a very good buggy for the money. I would even consider it the best bang for your buck in the market today. Dealer cost on the mayhem with engine and pipe is under $400.

The mugen and Kyosho speak for themeselves. They are both great cars just different. Mugen is a little cheaper than the Kyosho but to race them both it will cost you about the same.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Best Bang for the Buck (so far)

1. SWK Mayhem
2. OFNA Hyper 7
3. Mugen X5 or X7
4. Kyosho 7.5

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

A couple quick questions...when was the Mayhem released if you've been racing against it for 9 mos?? or were these prototypes?

and Mugen X7???? huh??????
Old 06-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

BTW.. there are more than one company going into the ofna cars.. ho bao, hong nor, and jammin now.. ..I don't care for the hong nor cars.. heavy and not durable..
Where can I find more info about these new companies?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by revzalot
Where can I find more info about these new companies?
Ofna doesn't make a 1/8 buggy...they rebadge and distribute buggies by HoBao and Hong Nor....Next time you see someone running a Hyper 7 ask to look at the radio box..it says Ho Bao right on it
Old 06-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jdawg53
The Hyper 7 is a good car but not something I would recommend to someone for their first 1/8th. It is not as durable as some of the other buggies out there. Personally I like the Kyosho 7.5 the best (I have a regular 7.5, K2 and K3). It is an amazing handling car and extremely durable. Plus there are more option parts available from aftermarket companies than most other buggies.
If your on a budget I would go with the Mayhem over the Ofna. I have raced Ofna and ran with guys that had Ofnas and they just dont seem to hold up.
I believe Mugen and Kyosho still make the best 1/8th buggies. I've driven plenty. But Hobao Hyper 7's drive very nicely and are PLENTY durable, believe me. Again, I only say this because I've driven/crashed plenty of them (especially when I try to drive them with those awful steering wheel radios!!) ;o)

In the UK, these Hyper 7 cars are not only cheaper but also just as competitive, if not more so than some of the big names - not just with 'Mr Average Thumbs' - but with the Pro's too. I'd be interested to know why you don't recommend them - bearing in mind that these cars cost very much less than a new Kyosho.

I'm the first to admit that I don't have any experience with the Swift, Mayhem, Ofna, Hong Nor, Protech etc etc type budget 1/8th buggies. Therefore I won't say anything bad about them - nor will I say anything good about them either. Some of them certainly look good, but that says nothing about how they actually compare to other buggies around a given track.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i think in the best bang for your buck catagory the winner is the hyper 7 pbs paul coleman edition or even the regular pbs

they come with like everything you need except fuel

slap a good steering servo in and your ready to race

the hyper 7's have been prooving themselves for a long time IMO

in fact we had a guy show up with a RTR hyper 7 pbs this past weekend at the trinity gas challenge here in MD and place 3rd against alot of pretty talented guys

granted im quite sure his excellent driving had more to do with it than anything else but he prooved it was a worthy buggy with fast qualifiers and then running the entire 45 minute main

he beat me and my mbx5 as well as some kanai 3's

in fact sadly enough all the mbx5 drivers broke in the main and we placed 7-10th mostly either breaking shock shafts and servos or in my case both and a ripped off antenna

in my car's defense it was flawless during the 30 minute B main that gave me the 1st bump-up spot

been killing servos and clutches like crazy lately

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.