Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returning to R/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile Returning to R/C

Hello all. After about a six year hiatus, I've decided that I may return to r/c. These past few days I have been reading up on what has changed; and wow is there a lot. Somewhere in my shed I have a first edition Stampede, two tamiya Blackfoots, a Clodbuster, a Bolink Legend, and a few other no named cars. Upon my return, I've noticed all the top items from when I was into the hobby are looked at as "outdated". I mean, a 3300 mAh battery for $20?! 6 years ago an 1800 mAh cost close to $30.

Now, I have been doing some thinking on whether to update my existing arsenal or just pickup a new kit. I had always loved my Stampede so I intend on sticking with Traxxas. So far I have decided that I'm going to stick somewhat "old school" in today's standards. A DuraTrax Onyx 210 Charger and three Trinity 3300mAh batteries to start me out. As for a new car or rebuilding me old one I have no idea what I should do. The transmission in my Stampede kept blowing the gears when I was in the hobby. In fact, the cost of replacing the busted transmission was one of the factors that led to me leaving the hobby. So, I need deciding if I should upgrade the old Stampede to an updated setup or purchase a new vehicle altogether. I'm thinking a new vehicle may actually just be cheaper to do.

In the end, this is what my initial plan was going to be:

TRA5805 - Traxxas Slash Short-Course 1/10th Off-Road Race Truck - $194.99

DTXP4210 - DuraTrax Onyx 210 AC/DC Peak Charger w/LCD Display - $49.99

Trinity Reference 6 Cell Performance Pack w/ Tamiya Connectors (7.2V/3000mAh) x3 - $59.97

Totaling ~$255 before shipping. I know there's big debate on the Slash, but I'm really only interested on going down to the beach with some paddle tires and making some rooster tails. No plans on racing at all. Any thoughts or suggestions on another vehicle or option of using my old vehicles is greatly appreciated. Just looking to start off "cheap" and see where it takes me. If I still have the same interest now that I did 6 years ago I'll invest more into it. Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Look like a good start to me. I would look for some batteries with the Traxxas high current connector to match the ESC, or just convert over to Deans plugs perhaps.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20362
Old 03-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
Look like a good start to me. I would look for some batteries with the Traxxas high current connector to match the ESC, or just convert over to Deans plugs perhaps.
I've got some. I used them back in the day. =]
Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There is no real debate on the slash as to if it is a good car or not. The debate is over what some people want it to be and the fact it came from Traxxas. I can guarantee you that if it was made by a company that "racers" approve of there would be no debate.

The car you have picked out is great all the way around, as a car you can take to the beach and run all day long you could not make a better choice. The thing is "water proof" but I think I would keep it away from salt water if your beach is near the ocean. And if sometime in the future you want to give racing a try, you would be hard pressed to find a off road track anywhere in the country that does not have a slash class.

Good choice.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by cherokee
There is no real debate on the slash as to if it is a good car or not. The debate is over what some people want it to be and the fact it came from Traxxas. I can guarantee you that if it was made by a company that "racers" approve of there would be no debate.

The car you have picked out is great all the way around, as a car you can take to the beach and run all day long you could not make a better choice. The thing is "water proof" but I think I would keep it away from salt water if your beach is near the ocean. And if sometime in the future you want to give racing a try, you would be hard pressed to find a off road track anywhere in the country that does not have a slash class.

Good choice.
Thanks for the input.

Yea, this beach is on a lake and regardless of being "waterproof" I'm going to avoid it when I can. Right now my hobby is PC gaming and I just moved so I figured getting back into the hobby may help me find some new people to hand out with as for the people I meet through my PC I'll never meet. =P

As for mods, I have a few motors hanging around. I think I had a 9 Triple if that sounds right. I'll have to dig it up when I go visit my parents to confirm. I know I have some paddles and a Novak Rooster as well as a Super Rooster. Not sure how up-to-date those are but I figure they worked then so why not now.

Thanks for the input. I'll check around for prices and just give it a few more days before I decide to make the purchase. =]
Old 03-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think that the slash is a good choice but I would not waste money buying a NiMh battery or charger.

I recently got back into the hobby after a 7.5 year break and the biggest changes out here are lipo batteries and brushless motors and speed controls.

Going to lipo batteries is worth every penny to switch. With a nimh you have to run it, discharge, wait for it to cool off, then recharge.

With a lipo you can run it, throw it back on the charger to top it off, then run it for the next heat.

Further, the performance is much better than the older batteries.

You can get a nice lipo charger for $37 from www.hobbycity.com. I have the Tunergy charger which it appears many other brands simply repackage and sell for over $100.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Toddzilla
I think that the slash is a good choice but I would not waste money buying a NiMh battery or charger.

I recently got back into the hobby after a 7.5 year break and the biggest changes out here are lipo batteries and brushless motors and speed controls.

Going to lipo batteries is worth every penny to switch. With a nimh you have to run it, discharge, wait for it to cool off, then recharge.

With a lipo you can run it, throw it back on the charger to top it off, then run it for the next heat.

Further, the performance is much better than the older batteries.

You can get a nice lipo charger for $37. I have the Tunergy charger which it appears many other brands simply repackage and sell for over $100.
Hey, thanks for the link. As for now I may just get that charger instead and the 3 Trinity batteries from A-Main. I figure with 3 or 4 batteries I'll be able to rotate them and in the future I'll just pick some nice batteries up. I mean, NiMh batteries worked fine back then so I just get them again. =P
Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I went through something similar to you just a year or two ago.

I rebult my old favorite, then ended up buying a new one any way.

My .o2 is keep your old stuff to tinker with later down the road, and rebuild when your ready to. If you had tranny trouble before you put it away, your going to still have it.

Start out with a good RTR such as the slash. If your looking for something to put paddle tires on, I dont know if they make them for the slash. Ask your LHS or your on line store to see if any fit this truck.

Second buy a hard cased lipo battery. Your plan to buy three stick NIMH is a good one and I know where your coming from. Charge one and use one while the other is cooling off.

By the time you buy three NIMH batteries you could get one lipo, and charge and reuse as much as you want. Charge the lipo once use it two weeks later and it still has a full charge.

There is a little more to a lipo but its simple and if your interested the information is here and others will help you too. I just dont want to bore you with info if your not interested.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Westwood
Hey, thanks for the link. As for now I may just get that charger instead and the 3 Trinity batteries from A-Main. I figure with 3 or 4 batteries I'll be able to rotate them and in the future I'll just pick some nice batteries up. I mean, NiMh batteries worked fine back then so I just get them again. =P
dont waste your time with nimh batts. they are outdated. people only run them because they have them, lipo's are the way to go. you can charge them as many times as you want per day, nimh 1 or 2 per day or you start to ruin then. lipo's will out last a nimh several times over. lipo put out more consistent power for a longer period of time giving more consistent lap times. at some point you will want to change so dont make the mistake of buying nimh!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by backyardracer
dont waste your time with nimh batts. they are outdated. people only run them because they have them, lipo's are the way to go. you can charge them as many times as you want per day, nimh 1 or 2 per day or you start to ruin then. lipo's will out last a nimh several times over. lipo put out more consistent power for a longer period of time giving more consistent lap times. at some point you will want to change so dont make the mistake of buying nimh!
Suggestions on an entry level, run-of-the-mill LiPo?
Old 03-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/30548

You can also buy one with a Dean's plug as well.
I am getting ~30 minutes off of a full charge with a VXL brushless system.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

189.95 shipped

https://www.ultimatehobbies.com/ista...d=TRA5805!1008
Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=SMC6028LT

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...n=THP32002SPRD

the 2nd one is the one id get its a very good pack. make sure to check the C rating its important.

Last edited by backyardracer; 03-31-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howtowakeakar
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/30548

You can also buy one with a Dean's plug as well.
I am getting ~30 minutes off of a full charge with a VXL brushless system.
+1 this is a great lipo for the $$. It will last for ever. Just get a lipo cut off.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Initiate

if your going with the slash smc makes i nice back for the slash the already has the plug you need on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.