Wiki Posts
Search

How much Fad is Slash

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default How much Fad is Slash

Where do you see Slash going in the future? How much of this is "class of the month"?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dane
Where do you see Slash going in the future? How much of this is "class of the month"?
Seems to have been strong for around a year and I would say its the fastest growing class around our area. I still haven't caught the bug though.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Suspended

IMO if it stays a one-truck spec class it will follow the same path every other spec class has followed. Hot to Not.
If it is allowed to diversify to accept other brands into the class as ROAR is trying to do with their Short Course Truck class rules I think it has the possibility to superceed the stadium truck class.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lightin'
IMO if it stays a one-truck spec class it will follow the same path every other spec class has followed. Hot to Not.
If it is allowed to diversify to accept other brands into the class as ROAR is trying to do with their Short Course Truck class rules I think it has the possibility to superceed the stadium truck class.
+1

A couple weeks ago I was watching the NASCAR Cup series race and the talking heads brought up a story about Jack Roush's take on the Car of Tomorrow (or Car of Today, the New Car, whatever you wanna call it). On one side of the coin, the CoT took pretty much everything NASCAR teams had learned over the past couple of decades and threw it out the window. Now on the surface, that would look like a serious PITA for most teams, having to start over from square #1 with car setup, aero design, etc.

But Roush saw it as a positive thing. In his opinion, the NASCAR community had by this point got just about everything out of the "current" car they could and still be within NASCAR's rules. By bringing out a new car everybody's starting with a clean sheet of paper, there's no "tried and true" formula to make these cars work.

I think that'll be one of the big draws of Short Course racing. The chassis are based on a design that's been around for over 20 years now, but even then, these things drive so differently from a traditional stadium truck that everyone's gonna hafta do some head-scratching to find what works. They weigh a lot more than what we're used to, they're a lot bigger, and those skinny block tires aren't going to have nearly as much grip as a 2" wide fuzzy or a rib. We've milked the stadium truck for all it's worth, now let's see what creative minds can do with a Short Course.

I loved stadium truck racing, done pretty much nothing but in my R/C career. But as soon as I got my Slash and started tinkering with it, I can say that if stadium trucks fade away and Short Course takes their place, I won't miss it. These things are just too much fun
Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In less than a year they will just be a stadium truck with a bigger body.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Our LHS can't keep them in stock and they order 4 at a time when they run out. They sometimes last 2 or 3 days on the shelf, but not much longer.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by huskerdually
In less than a year they will just be a stadium truck with a bigger body.
Ditto. And with the release of the SC10, they'll quickly become the T-spec of off road.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Its not a fad anymore, and cannot be denied its place in off-road racing. Besides just the R/C side of this, its being pushed by the real racing we see on TV. I'm a 30 something now, been doing this since I was 12, and this type of truck racing has been the most exciting thing to happen in a long time. Not only can you sit and watch a real race on the tube on Sunday, get to know the drivers, now you can head to your local hobby store and get something that actually resembles a real truck! I'm not lying when I say almost every time I go the the LHS I see a slash sitting on the counter getting ready to be sold. I have 2 slash's now, a SC8, and a SC10 on order, I simply love this type of racing.
But as with all things this will end eventually, just not any time soon. R/C tends to go in cycles back in the early 90's 4wd buggy was the hot ticket, then stadium trucks killed off 4wd buggy in late 90's, but now 4wd is mildly back, and then CORR racing hits hard, and in a good way.....I see this bringing more new faces to R/C than anything else in recent memory. If anything those that have not tried a CORR truck yet, and are writing them off should be happy this is bringing new blood into racing.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

I see this bringing more new faces to R/C than anything else in recent memory.
Best statement yet! Let's hope they see there are other classes that can be just as fun. We need MORE competition to keep the hobby going! Bring'em out and race'em!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM
MDB
Suspended

It's NOT a fad, it is here to stay. And expecially with the ThunderTech Outlaw chassis kit, it could be competitive with the SC10 in the Stock and Mod classes.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

In my area...Keeping it spec will keep it around. Once "mods" are allowed its just like any other 2wd (whoever has the most money.....wins).

Like the T-Maxx......Great for newbies.....but

At my local track everyone got one last year and we had a blast.....But this year more than half of us have sold them or don't race em.....

who Know's......Only time will tell I guess
Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I bought mine to run a 2nd class and keep the cost down and im having a ball with it. At the past jconcepts/supercup race after the rain stopped we ran the slash class next to help dry it up and that was one of the most fun races ive had in a long time, everyone one the stand was cracking up and by the the first lap you couldnt tell one truck from another!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tmaxxdaddy1
In my area...Keeping it spec will keep it around. Once "mods" are allowed its just like any other 2wd (whoever has the most money.....wins).
+1

Thats the reason its doing so well. What better time to have a poor-mans racing class. That is the reason I got into it. I have a family that comes first so i dont have alot of cash to drop on a r/c thats race worthy. When I heard about box stock racing with a $200 truck I was all over it.
In these tough times alot of guys like myself had to get rid of some toys. I sold my boat and my bike. We still need to tinker and have a hobby. I spent less to get started racing the slash then it took to fill the gas tank in my old boat. I hear alot of the same story at my lhs. Slashes fly off the shelves.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
+1

A couple weeks ago I was watching the NASCAR Cup series race and the talking heads brought up a story about Jack Roush's take on the Car of Tomorrow (or Car of Today, the New Car, whatever you wanna call it). On one side of the coin, the CoT took pretty much everything NASCAR teams had learned over the past couple of decades and threw it out the window. Now on the surface, that would look like a serious PITA for most teams, having to start over from square #1 with car setup, aero design, etc.

But Roush saw it as a positive thing. In his opinion, the NASCAR community had by this point got just about everything out of the "current" car they could and still be within NASCAR's rules. By bringing out a new car everybody's starting with a clean sheet of paper, there's no "tried and true" formula to make these cars work.

I think that'll be one of the big draws of Short Course racing. The chassis are based on a design that's been around for over 20 years now, but even then, these things drive so differently from a traditional stadium truck that everyone's gonna hafta do some head-scratching to find what works. They weigh a lot more than what we're used to, they're a lot bigger, and those skinny block tires aren't going to have nearly as much grip as a 2" wide fuzzy or a rib. We've milked the stadium truck for all it's worth, now let's see what creative minds can do with a Short Course.

I loved stadium truck racing, done pretty much nothing but in my R/C career. But as soon as I got my Slash and started tinkering with it, I can say that if stadium trucks fade away and Short Course takes their place, I won't miss it. These things are just too much fun
Great analogy!

The stadium style trucks follow the same vein as the Trophy Trucks do in 1:1 off road racing, the average guy can still see his (or her) truck that they own being run on the track and it helps them to identify w/ it. IMO, that's why the SC trucks, Trophy trucks, NASCAR and other forms or racing were the vehicle being raced are a reasonable facsimile to the ones the fans own.

I know it's the reason I prefer NASCAR over INDY or F1 and why the Slash, SC10, and the SC8 are so attractive to me.

I've seen a few Slashes run w/ 1/8 tires and wheels, not only does it kill the scale look, but it really altered the handling of the truck. It hooked up much better and took a lot of the drivers ability out of the equation.

Hopefully the tires will be used as a factor in how this class is defined. Keep them scale in size and appearance and that alone will help to equalize things and keep it from getting out of hand. Regardless of the motor and battery, you can only but so much power to the track w/ this style and size of tire.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crawler
Great analogy!

The stadium style trucks follow the same vein as the Trophy Trucks do in 1:1 off road racing, the average guy can still see his (or her) truck that they own being run on the track and it helps them to identify w/ it. IMO, that's why the SC trucks, Trophy trucks, NASCAR and other forms or racing were the vehicle being raced are a reasonable facsimile to the ones the fans own.

I know it's the reason I prefer NASCAR over INDY or F1 and why the Slash, SC10, and the SC8 are so attractive to me.

I've seen a few Slashes run w/ 1/8 tires and wheels, not only does it kill the scale look, but it really altered the handling of the truck. It hooked up much better and took a lot of the drivers ability out of the equation.

Hopefully the tires will be used as a factor in how this class is defined. Keep them scale in size and appearance and that alone will help to equalize things and keep it from getting out of hand. Regardless of the motor and battery, you can only but so much power to the track w/ this style and size of tire.
Only difference Nascar is stock while high-tech while the slash is cheap plastic Traxxas But what really is the best part is the stock class brings out the best cheaters in all of us which is really the heart to stock racing in this country. The Slash could be designed way better, but who cares it's still kinda fun to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.