Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New to racing

So I've been wanting to try racing and think I'm going to just go and give it a shot...after doing some research I know I want to race 2wd stock buggy and know that losi and AE are the buggies of choice...my list includes the AE FTB4, Losi XXX-CR, Kyosho Ultima RB5 and the Academy GV2 Pro. I know I'm going to go with the Tekin RS Pro ESC and 13.5 Redline sensored motor, SMC 28C 5000mAh Lipo's, DX3r/sr3100 and IDK what servo...which buggy is the best for starters?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Location: movin to the big time. on my way to the bay next week!
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

there are alot of people that ask this question on a weekly basis, and with both the Associated and Losi being great vehicles, the biggest part of your decision should be based on what your LHS (local hobby shop) carries the most of. i would NOT recommend buying a vehicle if your LHS does not carry a good supply of parts for that vehicle. With that said, if your LHS carries a good variety of parts for both vehicles, i would next recommend going out to a race day and finding out what most people at the track are running. if is very easy to compare setups and tuning tips with people that are driving the same vehicle than if say you were one of the few people running a Losi and everyone else is running Associated. And last but not least, try getting in on the good side with some locals around there and maybe try driving both vehicles and decide which one suits you best. just my .02
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

your driving style can help decide it to and the track type to
Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maybelater30
So I've been wanting to try racing and think I'm going to just go and give it a shot...after doing some research I know I want to race 2wd stock buggy and know that losi and AE are the buggies of choice...my list includes the AE FTB4, Losi XXX-CR, Kyosho Ultima RB5 and the Academy GV2 Pro. I know I'm going to go with the Tekin RS Pro ESC and 13.5 Redline sensored motor, SMC 28C 5000mAh Lipo's, DX3r/sr3100 and IDK what servo...which buggy is the best for starters?
Buy A 2wd that your local hobby shop stock parts for.
With a 13.5 you can get Tekin RS. The Tekin RS Pro's are made to handle 5.5 and lower motors that you will never use in a 2wd buggy. Cost alittle cheaper.
The RS also, takes the Hotwire if you deside to buy a Hotwire to download new software on the ESC.

Good luck desiding and have fun racing.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

ive personally ran all the cars each one of them have something different to bring to the table so like the other guys are saying just go to a race and see what is the most popular car. if i had to make a choice i would either go with the B4 or the RB5.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You cant go wrong with one of the top 3 brands... Losi, Associated or Kyosho

Parts availability and popularity at your local track are key (those with the same buggy can help you with problems and setups).

You might want to ask about the Novice & Stock class rules at your track if you are just starting out. Typically, most tracks use 17.5 as a "Stock" class motor. A 13.5 is SuperStock and can be a handful for someone just starting out.

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
You cant go wrong with one of the top 3 brands... Losi, Associated or Kyosho

Parts availability and popularity at your local track are key (those with the same buggy can help you with problems and setups).

You might want to ask about the Novice & Stock class rules at your track if you are just starting out. Typically, most tracks use 17.5 as a "Stock" class motor. A 13.5 is SuperStock and can be a handful for someone just starting out.

Good luck!

Jerome
Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to head there next week for the opening weekend for the outdoor track. I was going with the 13.5 motor based on it being the fastest motor allowed in the stock class. My plan was to use the settings on the ESC and DX3r to slow it down and as my skill level increases I can turn it up without needing a new motor. From what I've read the AE cars are king at that track with a few people running Losi and Kyosho. I'm starting to keep my eye out for some good deals on a used car to start with.