R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Originally Posted by tntpoof View Post
Time to make that df03 back to stick pack my son has 1 and it kills bj4 and b44. I run a mrc academy sb-v2 and I like it..Just my opinion..
you can find the blinged version for like $135 if you look around enough. They didn't produce too many of them & yet the key parts are still being made.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #17
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

mj, if you're a fan of the Tamiya and the stick pack is what you want to use, I would highly suggest converting the DF-03 back to the stock plastic chassis.

However, if you want to keep your KM conversion, get the DB-01. I've read Jimmy's review (oople.com) on it and was almost convinced of buying one myself, but remembered that I had a B44 as my solid 4wd backup (the B44 won't work either since it's saddle)...

Probably a DB-01 would be your best choice if you're looking for a Tamiya. Unless you're a retro fan and want to get one of the re-re. I know that many people who has a DB-01 suggested getting the Baldre instead of the Durga model because the shell (the only difference between the two) is a lot more forgiving with the electronics...

If you really want a unique buggy with a battery down the center, why not buy another DF-03 (the MS version)? You can find them relatively cheap from Ultimate Hobbies or from RC Mart, Stella, and other dealers who has tons of Tamiya stuff.

I've gotta agree with you on the Tamiya stuff. I love my AE and have always been fan of AE stuff but lately, I've been bitten by the Tamiya bug and really think some of their designs are wonderful... I've been looking at their on-road stuff, the TA-05 chassis stuff, and they are just superb IMO...

If you do end up getting an MS version of the DF-03, just think, you can share parts with your KM-blinged out DF-03!!!
tom_chang79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
Tech Addict

I agree with Tom about the DB01.

I too had the DF03 but recently sold it to get a DB01 Baldre. The body on the Baldre does fit very nice and is more forgiving for electronics, etc.

Overall, I got the DB01 for the durability aspect, and like you want, ability to run stick pack style battery packs.

I've yet to run it (track has been flooded everytime I go to do a shakedown), but I think it's gonna be a winner. Easy to build/maintain, and it seems tough as nails.

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

thanks for all the info guys. the only draw back to the DF03 i see is the plastic quality. it the plastic was the same as the DB01 stuff i would never think about needing to get a different chassis, i would just get another DF03 or MS kit. the MS is good too, but if i was spending that much for the MS, i would get the DB01. I have the TA05, and the DB01, to me, is an off road TA05. almost the same chassis, exact same belt drive system, and great tamiya plastic.

I am also a fan of the plastic tub bodies, because they are cheaper if broken, and also seem to have more give. you also dont need to use locktite on all the metal to metal connections. and the belt drive it just sweet.

i am not knocking my df03 at all, and i have a the SMC 4900 saddle pack, and that kicks some serious butt with the MM4600 in it. to me it comes down to the plastic quality in the gear boxes.

b44 as a backup, that must be nice. !

for the moment i will most likely stick with the DF03 chassis since i only have had one practice session, with some better setup, and better oil in the shocks we will see if i really need to make the change to a stick pack style chassis.
TA05 spec class.
DF03 w/ carbon chassis
DB01R Stock class
2 x GB01 Tamtechs
Custom solid axle SC
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Tech Rookie
Default Kyosho Lazer ZX

I built up a nice Lazer ZX on the cheap with parts etc from eBay. I'm running stick NiCd's but it will hold Lipos as well.
Past Cars:
Tamiya Frog
Kyosho Ultima
Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid SE
Kyosho Rocky
Tamiya Eunos Roadster
Kyosho Laser ZX-5 SP
darkhawk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #21
Tech Elite
Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

The DB01 is considered a plastic stick pack version of the 501X. I heard that you can use a lot of 501X parts like arms, shocks, and little stuff like that. I really like the new cyver 10b as well. I think I might get one when it is released.
89% of Revos are racers. If your Revo can out-bash and out-run a Savage, put this in your sig.

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #22
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Why not just get an academy sbv-2 carbon pro? Not to mention you can get good used deals on them. Get the diggity upgrades, ceramic diff balls, alum. c-hubs, & alum. rear pivot. Then drop a 3200 lipo in it and go race. The buggy will be super fast and tough.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote