R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   bearings, whats easier for maintenance ?rubber or Metal shielded ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/284308-bearings-whats-easier-maintenance-rubber-metal-shielded.html)

hacker 03-23-2009 05:26 AM

bearings, whats easier for maintenance ?rubber or Metal shielded ?

has anyone used the rubber shielded bearings?

Are they easier to maintain with regards to removing the sheilds off?

xDaRReLLx87 03-23-2009 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by hacker (Post 5585263)

Theres really no point it maintaining your bearings. It is best to just get a bunch of cheap rubber sealed bearings and replace them pretty regularly. If you take the shield off, only to put back on after re-lubing them, you will destroy the tight seal and allow dirt or sand to get into the bearing causing them to fail or break into a million pieces.

DARKWAV 03-23-2009 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by hacker (Post 5585263)

Rubber shielded bearings are supposed to have a longer life span than metal shielded ones. In theory by the time the need servicing with cleaning/relube they are near the end of their useful life anyway. I'll still clean-out and relube a gritty rubber shielded bearing. Certainly sometimes this means you'll go to the effort only to find out the bearing is shot, other times the bearing can be re-used. You still want to have fresh spares around in-case it turns out the bearing is done or if you mangle the shield too much trying to get it out! Rubber shielded Bearings can be purchased on-line like from Avid RC so it is definitely worth ordering up a bunch before you actually need one. Bearings from the LHS are usually way overpriced, like a pair for $10! Online youre looking at like $1 each!

Sometimes I can't remove a metal sheild at all. Sometimes I spend a lot of time trying to get under the retaining ring/spring. I think the rubber seals are easier to get out. Of course sometime I mangle a rubber shield.

Oh...and "re-use" is the sincerest for of recycling. Now go hug a tree. Ha ha!

hacker 03-23-2009 04:19 PM

thanks, I'm just the sort of person who is anal about reducing friction and lubing the bearings when I got nothing to do haha.

I'll go and order some rubber shielded bearings from fleebay. They are only about $6 for a whole set.

desertbird 03-23-2009 05:59 PM

There are bearings with a metal shield on one side and a rubber one on the other. Allows you to easily relube and also if necessary remove the rubber shield, cleand and relube.