Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
"Tools of the Trade" >

"Tools of the Trade"

"Tools of the Trade"

Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JDMThoughts
I use regular tools from companies like Husky, Craftsman and Snap-On. I even have a set of screw drivers and ratchet style screw driver from Workforce. They all do the job for me no problem. I can't fathom spending money on cheaply made hobby screw drivers.
the funny thing is, is I won't use a regular allen wrench now that I'v used a good set of drivers made for RC...
Old 03-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
traxxas uses metric screws...

opps....my mistake....however 5/64 = 2.078125mm and my set did not have a 2.0mm, it had a 5/64th, so I just used that.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the funny thing is, is I won't use a regular allen wrench now that I'v used a good set of drivers made for RC...
Maybe you should try buying a good set of allen wrenches from someone like Craftsman or Snap On. If you break or strip one, which is difficult to do, you get a replacement for free. Comparing hobby grade tools to commercial and industrial grade tools isn't really a fair comparison.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Maybe you should try buying a good set of allen wrenches from someone like Craftsman or Snap On. If you break or strip one, which is difficult to do, you get a replacement for free. Comparing hobby grade tools to commercial and industrial grade tools isn't really a fair comparison.
I've looked at Sears in the past, and did not find much besides the T handles....if they make a driver wrench similar to the "RC grades" I'd love to check then out....
Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

craftsman and good set shouldnt be in the same sentence.
I am a contractor and stopped using crapsman tools a long time ago.
lifetime warrenty means lifetime trips to sears to replace junk.

there is NOTHING wrong with rc specific tools, choose your brand wisely and you will not have to worry about changing them for years.

one more thing MIP really is the best
Old 03-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I work in the sears "home improvement" section... and we don't have to exchange it, read the fine print

Originally Posted by jnslprd
craftsman and good set shouldnt be in the same sentence.
I am a contractor and stopped using crapsman tools a long time ago.
lifetime warrenty means lifetime trips to sears to replace junk.

there is NOTHING wrong with rc specific tools, choose your brand wisely and you will not have to worry about changing them for years.

one more thing MIP really is the best
I've dealt with plenty of contractors, few of them have anything good to say about craftsman.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

I work in the sears "home improvement" section... and we don't have to exchange it, read the fine print

Where? I can't find it online...
Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

[QUOTE=lucas;5581146]

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN2819
QUOTE]

I stripped more screws and cussed everytime I used that cheap set then I care to remember. The steal is cheap and they wear out very fast.

Do yourself a favor and buy a quality set. Any of the top end sets are well worth the extra buck.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I agree with all that state it is better to bite the bullet and spend the $$$ upfront! I've tried many "cheaper" sets (Integy, Duratrax, etc) and all you get is JUNK! Integy I kept breaking tips and even though you can replace them for about $4, its still a pain in the @$$. Cheap drivers also lead to stripping of screws which is another pain in the @$$. Does Snap On make a set of the screw driver handle type of set screw wrenches?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've dealt with plenty of contractors, few of them have anything good to say about craftsman.
Yea you aren't required too, if your facility is a piece of shit. The local ones I have are 95% replacing the tool. I worked in construction and wouldn't recommend Craftsmen for my choice of tools, most of my co-workers don't use Craftsmen either. They don't make a good industrial grade power tool. I am talking wrenches and screw drivers. They make those plenty fine. I don't know how we got off topic of using power tools to hand tools.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I invested in the MIPs - they were termed Thorp drivers then and they've more than paid for themselves. I wouldn't use anything else.