Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Associated Shocks >

Associated Shocks

Associated Shocks

Old 02-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Associated Shocks

Hey all, my second hand t4 has the silver aluminum shocks (stock?). They seem to have alot of air in them, is this normal? I've always been used to using shocks with air bladders, and they aren't supposed to have air in the shock oil itself.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Did you rebuilt or just changed the oil? If you follow the instructions, there will be some air in them. That's how they work. If they are hard to get them to rebound 1/4", you'll need to rebuild them.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Initiate

I have never touched the shocks since the trade I got them in. They seem to work great, I'll see if they rebound the specified length.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

when u rebuild the shocks u should get all the air out. Fill the shock bodies almost to the top and pump the shock shaft up and down. You will see air bubbles come to the top. I then fill body all the way up. Then put some in the shock tap and screw on. Screw it until it is threaded almost all the way on. Then compress shock shaft all the way and tighten cap up. There u go.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MMT4
Hey all, my second hand t4 has the silver aluminum shocks (stock?). They seem to have alot of air in them, is this normal? I've always been used to using shocks with air bladders, and they aren't supposed to have air in the shock oil itself.

Thanks.
A GREAT...How-To...bookmark this one!!

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/12/8/1.html
Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
stichy, Ae shocks are still the best materials & design available...

All shocks need rebuilding , not just Ae ...

The reason ?

Silicon Shock Oil

The rubber O-ring`s swell because of the oil....

This is why I recommended the Green Slime from Ae , you coat the ring`s with the grease and it help protect them from the oil....

Most forget to use the Slime and this is why you hear complaints with oil leaks...

Ae shocks actually perform better than the K car shock as well !

Why ?

Because they are a "emulsion" design and this is why Ae shocks are smoother & more plush on the bumps than a shock equipped with
bladders such as the K-car....
I've decided to move the discussion here.

Wild Cherry, if AE's o-rings are rubber and swell when used with silicone shock oils, do you think silicone o-rings (a la Kyosho and others) would be better? Have you ever tried them?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I've used AE shocks for years, but the best thing i've found is bleeder caps. I forget the brand, I want to say yocomo. It eliminates horsing around bleeding them. Very easy to get the exact rebound you want & no air provided seals are good & shafts are ok.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by stitchy
I've decided to move the discussion here.

Wild Cherry, if AE's o-rings are rubber and swell when used with silicone shock oils, do you think silicone o-rings (a la Kyosho and others) would be better? Have you ever tried them?

Ae O-rings are not rubber, there "silicone" O-rings....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 04-02-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixBJu93Qyw

^ All you need to know. There is also a video on how to perfectly glue tires as well. Good luck and besure to bleed your bubbles out when you build your shocks. Clean the inside with windex and rubbing alcohol.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have built my AE shocks with green slime alot, btw I hate AE shocks. But I was wondering if anyone has tryed the Mobil 1 grease? Like you use in 8th scale diffs to coat the O rings and help prevent leaks. The red stuff, I forget the eaxt name or it.

Josh
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoshM20
I have built my AE shocks with green slime alot, btw I hate AE shocks. But I was wondering if anyone has tryed the Mobil 1 grease? Like you use in 8th scale diffs to coat the O rings and help prevent leaks. The red stuff, I forget the eaxt name or it.

Josh
You only use that for installation purposes. I have never heard of red grease unless you are referring to Loc-Tite!! The O rings are generally good enough to prevent leaks, if installed properly. Now putting geese in the O rings in the preload adjuster nut, is a standard procedure.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
You only use that for installation purposes. I have never heard of red grease unless you are referring to Loc-Tite!! The O rings are generally good enough to prevent leaks, if installed properly. Now putting geese in the O rings in the preload adjuster nut, is a standard procedure.
Lol, I think I know the difference between loc-tite and grease. I'm not sure how you have never heard of reg grease before but here you go. It's called Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease.I use it in all types of ways (on RC cars) and real ones. If you have worked on a car before you should know what it is also.

What are you talking about, pre-load adjuster nut? I'm guessing you are talking about the preload nut for threaded shock bodies. Yes, you should always do that.

I don't understand your thought on, something being for installation purposes and not a rebuild purpose. You must not mess with AE shocks much, they are notorious for either, Leaking, Blowing, or Coming from the factory defective. If you get a defective shock body, it does not matter if you installed it properly or not, it is going to fail, and fail quickly.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Suspended

"O rings in the preload adjuster nut"

What are you talking about?

We've been using AE Green Slime (grease) on the shock O-rings for years to aid in assembly and to help stop leaks from O-ring damage during assembly, whether they are "installed properly" or not.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoshM20
Lol, I think I know the difference between loc-tite and grease. I'm not sure how you have never heard of reg grease before but here you go. It's called Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease.I use it in all types of ways (on RC cars) and real ones. If you have worked on a car before you should know what it is also.

What are you talking about, pre-load adjuster nut? I'm guessing you are talking about the preload nut for threaded shock bodies. Yes, you should always do that.

I don't understand your thought on, something being for installation purposes and not a rebuild purpose. You must not mess with AE shocks much, they are notorious for either, Leaking, Blowing, or Coming from the factory defective. If you get a defective shock body, it does not matter if you installed it properly or not, it is going to fail, and fail quickly.
Yes, but never heard of Red grease from Mobil-1 But for real cars you should know that they use Synthetic OIL unless you mean oil instead of grease.

I use Teflon Grease!!!!

Every time you rebuild a shock do you not install the parts back in after cleaning them I have worked with AE shocks many times, never had any problems with any of my installations. Never had any leaks whatsoever. But I bleed bubbles out on every installation. Are you sure your tightening it all the way? I've never had a problem with AE shocks on my RC10GT that I've had for 12 years, unless the new AE shocks are of less quality standards.

Originally Posted by Lightin'
"O rings in the preload adjuster nut"

What are you talking about?

The technical name for the nut on the shock itself, effects the pre-load which in turn adjusts the ride height.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Yes, but never heard of Red grease from Mobil-1 But for real cars you should know that they use Synthetic OIL unless you mean oil instead of grease.

I use Teflon Grease!!!!
They have been making synthetic grease for as long as they have been making synthetic oil.

The technical name for the nut on the shock itself, effects the pre-load which in turn adjusts the ride height.
I know the "technical name" for them ~ but there's no reason to oil or grease them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.