Wiki Posts
Search

Covert stick packs to SxS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Covert stick packs to SxS?

Is it possible to break up my Orion 4500 Rocket Pack into individual cells and rebuild it into a side by side configuration?
I've also another 2 good packs of Orion 3000, and hope to convert them. Anyone explored that possibility before?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Shouldn't be a problem, the packs are usually held together with welded tabs that you can just pull off.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Yep, I have done it many times. Used to buy the duratrax 4200 stick packs to take apart and cycle the individual cells for runtime and average voltage for my 1/12 4-cell packs.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've done it to all of my packs. I accually think they run better after I put them in SxS. It's probably because of the good solder and battery bars I use, but who knows.

J
Old 03-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the answers! Now that I've bought a TeamWave discharger, I'm going to make all my sticks into SxS.

I can see the flimsy battery tabs through the stick pack clear wrapper, so are this tabs going to work OK for the conversion? Or does it make much difference if I buy those purpose-built and much more solid battery bars?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Suzukee
Thanks for the answers! Now that I've bought a TeamWave discharger, I'm going to make all my sticks into SxS.

I can see the flimsy battery tabs through the stick pack clear wrapper, so are this tabs going to work OK for the conversion? Or does it make much difference if I buy those purpose-built and much more solid battery bars?
Use the battery bars definitely.I always used the novak cross bars because they are cheaper than most and they accept solder really well. When you take the pack apart you will see that you cannot just leave the thin strips because the ones that are folded between the cells are too short to allow the batteries to sit side by side.
Do This.
1- take the pack apart by cutting the shrink wrap off.
2- remove all the flimsy tabs which are spot welded to the cell.Usually they will pull off with a pair of pliers.
3 CAREFULLY dremel any left over pieces still spot welded to the cell until it is even with the rest of the surrounding area.
4- tin up all cell ends both pos. and neg.
5- use a small bead of GOOP(shoe goo, household goop etc.) to stick the cells together in the correct side by side pattern using a NON CONDUCTIVE straight edge to keep the pos. and neg. ends in line. allow the goop to dry OVERNIGHT.
6- solder the battery bars and conector lead in place.
done.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just like 2wdmod said! Except when I glued my packs together I accually threw them in an old chassis that had the cell cut out's in it to ensure proper spacing.

J
Old 03-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Thank you all again for the advise, they really help.

I've tried tearing apart 2 old stick packs and use them as "guinea pigs". Now that I've got enough information and my hands dirty, it's time to cut up the Orions!