Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 4wd buggy vs. 1/8 4wd buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

1/8 is not a budget racer class by any means, especially with electric 1/8. It doesn't cost much more than nitro to get a 1/8 electric setup, but 1/8 in general isn't for folks getting allowances or with light pockets IMHO.

You either can drop about $1k+ between batteries, esc, motors, and chargers, and roller or you will be severly disappointed with performance. Remember, smoke with electrics is not a good thing.

Even with all the mfg's coming out with kits and the interest growing, it requires quite a bit of research to get into this class and do it right the first time. Unfortunately, it really isn't plug and play just yet.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

1/10th is drop and go for anyone that runs electrics currently. Its just like running truggy and buggy. If you have a nitro pit setup then it's a whole lot cheaper to just get that truggy instead of like a complete 2wd setup. I'm sure that as li//bl 1/8th grows it will become more popular. I think it would be fun to see 1/8th scale buggy tcs run as a winter class too.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree with those that say the type of track you have available to you makes a big difference. I love 1/10 4wd and race that indoor. Having recently put together a 1/8th electric and driven it only indoor, I have to say 1/10th is way more fun to drive and race. I really bought the 1/8th for racing on a large track outdoor this summer, someplace I just wouldn't want to run the tenth scale. When next fall rolls around and I have a more equal choice on which to run...it's gonna be 1/10th scale all the way.

I think the cost is about $200-400 more for eighth than tenth. Difference is in car cost, tire cost, and battery cost. electronics are about the same.

Tenth 4wd is so responsive to the driver. Makes eighth feel sluggish IMO. I'll see if my opinion changes when I have a chance to run it this summer.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Electric 8th scale cars might be totally awesome cars, but what makes them awesome also hurts them some. There size/weight/speed limits them as to where they can race. (similar to nitro I guess.)

Here’s why I race 1/10 4wd instead of electric 8th scale.

1. No year round facility that can handle them here in WI. We have a few great indoor offroad tracks here in WI, but it would not be safe to be running the bigger/heavier 1/8 scales in them. People would get hurt and the facilities themselves would probably get damaged. It would take some big dollars to have the adequate facilities to handle these cars indoor.
2. No indoor track means I would have a very expensive car sitting in my basement for about 6 months out of the year, waiting for the outdoor season, as compared to racing my 1/10 4wd all year long both indoor and outdoor. No, I haven’t won the lottery yet, so owning both is not an option.
3. Yes, 1/10 4wd cars can be expensive, but Electric 1/8 are even more expensive. Both myself and my son race, which means I actually would need 2 of them.
So for me it’s really simple, There's no place for me to race them on regular basis, plus, why would I pay more, to race less.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I own 2 x Casters and they're priced affordably for most people. Even starters. Build quality is good and the guys in the Caster forum are always ready to help in anyway they can.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

I read a comparison of nitro to brushless 1/8 and the thing that I would like to point out is the cost effectiveness of 1/8 brushless over nitro. It may cost a tad more but the equipment will give you much more in return. Especially if you have little mechanical nitro skills like a lot of the guys I've seen going through 3 engines a season (insane!!) and tons of glow plugs.. etc.

Also, the reward factor. 1/8 brushless will grow and will have big races and big names in the races. I haven't seen a 1/10 4wd race in years that makes me want to actually go out and purchase one. A couple years ago about 5-6 guys bought 1/10 4wd cars and raced one race weekend and a month later there were 2 left then there were none. It seems to be a trend in 4wd electric at all the tracks I race at. That's one of the most important things for me personally is to have people to race with all the time.

This is the biggest point of all IMO. If you have a 1/10 4wd electric and have a good group of guys racing and enjoy it.... keep enjoying it and keep having fun racing. If not and you like the idea of 4wd electric and you're looking for good racing 1/8 brushless is a great platform for that. All new things are a bit hard to swallow at first. But, again, 1/8 brushless is a cost effective class to race despite it's higher start up amount. But, that equipment you'll have for a long time and a lot of racing.

Ben
Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by warpig
I read a comparison of nitro to brushless 1/8 and the thing that I would like to point out is the cost effectiveness of 1/8 brushless over nitro.
Yes it would actually be much cheaper in the long run Imho. Glad someone is getting this.

Sorry to crush hopes guys but all that BS about it's so much more dangerous is a crock of sh*t. I Was around when 1/8th started getting big in 00-01 and all I Heard was " it is so dangerous, people will get hurt, our track can't accept these." Now look at it, THE biggest class and again the MOST exspensive, bottom line. How is an electric 1/8th scale more dangerous than a Nitro one? Nitro's run away all the time (Go Wild) that whole " you could put to much power in it." Well damn you could throw the fastest .28 in a 1/8th scale and it would be exactly the same situation. Except the threat of it going wild.

I have heard this all before and I think it is a crock. Stupid people do stupid things and to punish the mass for the few idiots isn't cool. What track could not spot a newbie with a 8lb rocket after 10 secs of them setting their car on the track?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by racenut123
This was just for reference.All components are top notch too.No skimping.So for those saying the price difference in the initial purchase is prohibitive for 1/8,they really are not looking at the larger picture.Buy what you like,but don't think a 1/10 4wd buggy is cheap.If you want cheap.run 2wd 13.5/stock buggy.
Well mine ended up being pretty cheap. back in Dec. i got my very slightly used b44 with a lipo novak GTB w/ 6.5 servo and reciever all for 250 cause the guy who was selling it needed stuff quick for his 1/8th nitro... and looking back i got a killer deal. I dont know... are there deals this good on used 1/8th E's?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by C Reedy
Well mine ended up being pretty cheap. back in Dec. i got my very slightly used b44 with a lipo novak GTB w/ 6.5 servo and reciever all for 250 cause the guy who was selling it needed stuff quick for his 1/8th nitro... and looking back i got a killer deal. I dont know... are there deals this good on used 1/8th E's?
I'm sure,
If you find someone in a bind for cash you would be surprised some of the killer deals you can get.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yeah,I have seen deals for about 500 for a RTR E-1/8.Like mentioned,when people are in a bind,people will fire sale some great stuff like you just said.
Originally Posted by C Reedy
Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi Warpig, my thought on it is the cost as well...

It's not that the 1/8th scale costs more then 1/10th, it's actually a misconception, since if you line up the cost of both vehicles (assuming you get stuff like the AE 1/8th or the Castor Racing 1/8th), the difference is probably +/- $100 or so, which isn't much considering $100 is about a 10% fudge in the total figures.

My problem is just like some of the other guys have stated, it's the transition cost. I've been set up with so many equipments (electronics, batteries, etc.) for 1/10th that transitioning to an 1/8th scale would require an entire new set of equipments (aside from the radio, which is pennies compared to lipos, ESC, tires, etc.)

It's a very similar problem to some of the 1/18th scalers wanting to transition into 1/10th, many of their investments just doesn't directly transfer, therefore, giving a disincentive to switch. I think this is why many people are "stuck" with 1/18th scale vehicles, just like how us 1/10th scalers are "stuck" with ours.

However, I do have to say that I use the word "stuck" very loosely. I love my 1/10th scale 4wd buggy. The track I run on is really sized for those (although there are many bad-ass 1/8th scales cropping up more and more) and I really enjoy working on the 1/10th scale since I believe that it's no coincidence that this scale is the most dominant and prevalent.

I think one day, when my 1/10th scale 4wd is truly trashed, my NiMH cells are trashed, I may transition to an 1/8th scale. However, the chances that I'd buy the next-gen 1/10th 4wd buggy when that time comes is much more likelier due to familiarity and the ability to dive right into again...

Great topic btw, I think this topic deserves much discussion...
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I think each have their own advantages/disadvantages. The only real disadvantage with 1/8th is startup cost. Otherwise, we would see more people into it at our local track.

The biggest cost is lipos. 4S lipos are just too dang expensive. And yes, I know of Zippy $80 4S lipos but Hobbycity is taking forever for them to get into stock! Most people need a minimum of two 25-30C 5000+ mah packs for a race day. Generally three packs is preferred and it starts hurting the wallet a lot.

The way I see it, batteries is the biggest limiting factor. A high end 1/10th brushless ESC/motor will actually cost about the same as a 1/8th MMM setup. Sure, there is a difference in price between a high end 1/10th chassis vs a 1/8th chassis but generally 1/8th is so robust and requires much less maintenance, that you won't spend much to upkeep it. I spent only $300 on my 8ight roller with the E-conversion and everything was brand new. (Bought new RTR nitro, sold all the nitro stuff/electronics)

With that said, I can't really afford to have more 4S battery packs. I would like to have a 1/8th truggy to compliment my buggy, but I'm now in the market for a 1/10th buggy!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Due to LiPos and their entry into our hobby, I still end up getting the NiMH stuff since you can get really great packs for really good price, as compared to what I used to pay for them four years ago...

But then again, given a choice, with no consideration of price, I would love to have a LiPo pack, they can source some serious current!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I got out of Nitro as just got tired of glow plugs, tuning the engine, you flip your car for too long you gotta restart it, etc...

Tried Nitro with 2 of my kids, and all I spend doing all day, is trying to tune, and restarting their trucks (1/10th stadiums, back when they were popular) I never even got to run at all.

Getting back into this again, this time they have Traxxas Slashes.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

My standing on the battery is that I see companies making batteries that aren't that bad of price out there. The one that I've stated before that stands out in my mind is the SMC pack that is coming out this month. It's a 4S1P 40c (conservatively rated could be 50c) battery for $180. That's a LOT of battery for the money. The guys at my tracks have $120 2S batteries in their 1/10 vehicles. So, although I see that pack as more money it is cost effective and reasonable considering the reward you'll have driving an 1/8 class buggy and being able to race at a large percentage of the tracks in the U.S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.