Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What good are wheels if they dont spin? >

What good are wheels if they dont spin?

What good are wheels if they dont spin?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default What good are wheels if they dont spin?

I just replaced my front bearing carriers on my slash with some RPM ones and now when i tighten down the nut to hold the wheel on the wheel and tire only spin about 2 or 3 times before stopping where before they would spin fast and freely. I used the same bearings, I drilled out the hole thinking that maybe the plastic inside had a smaller diameter then the bearings and that didnt work either. If i back the nut off a turn from tight they spin freely like they should. Any ideas??? Thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 801Funk801
I just replaced my front bearing carriers on my slash with some RPM ones and now when i tighten down the nut to hold the wheel on the wheel and tire only spin about 2 or 3 times before stopping where before they would spin fast and freely. I used the same bearings, I drilled out the hole thinking that maybe the plastic inside had a smaller diameter then the bearings and that didnt work either. If i back the nut off a turn from tight they spin freely like they should. Any ideas??? Thanks
Yea you are over tightening them, you answered your own question. Tighten it down then slowly back off maybe 1/8th of a turn until it frees up. If you have to back it off to the point where there is play between the nut and bearings then yuo have another issue.

Josh
Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Why then did then just start happening when i installed the RPM parts? I dont tighten the nut down anymore now then i did before so thats clearly not the problem.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 801Funk801
Why then did then just start happening when i installed the RPM parts? I dont tighten the nut down anymore now then i did before so thats clearly not the problem.
They may be slightly wider/narrower than the stock part, therefore causing the nut to touch the outside of the bearing. That will cause it to have the binding feeling. You could put shims the size of the axle on it as long as they Only touch the inside of the bearing. That could be a test to see if that is why it is binding.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For 2wd fronts, I always wished that more manufacturers adopted Losi's XXX-BK2 front style. Where the bearings are in the knuckles, and the spindle is hexed out like a 4wd front. No more bearings that are crushed from bolts/nuts and no more lost bearings when you take your tires off.

It was the hot thing to do on the B4 since there was a huge batch of botched front rims (whic proline was in denial of doing). Forced us B4 owners to seek this mod since it allowed us to use a clearly more superior Losi rims.

There are currently nothing equivalent in the Slash world, since this kind of a mod would require keying on the front rims as well as a different knuckle...
Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
For 2wd fronts, I always wished that more manufacturers adopted Losi's XXX-BK2 front style. Where the bearings are in the knuckles, and the spindle is hexed out like a 4wd front. No more bearings that are crushed from bolts/nuts and no more lost bearings when you take your tires off.

It was the hot thing to do on the B4 since there was a huge batch of botched front rims (whic proline was in denial of doing). Forced us B4 owners to seek this mod since it allowed us to use a clearly more superior Losi rims.

There are currently nothing equivalent in the Slash world, since this kind of a mod would require keying on the front rims as well as a different knuckle...
That was actually in the original XXX IIRC. That was really cool when it first came out. I never had to worry about losing bearings just those freakin small 4-40's haha.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm pretty damn sure that is exacaly how the Slash is setup. The bearings are in the knuckle, and then there's a hex on the spindle that the wheel mounts over. Unless I'm misreading what you wrote?

J
Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pyro18t
I'm pretty damn sure that is exacaly how the Slash is setup. The bearings are in the knuckle, and then there's a hex on the spindle that the wheel mounts over. Unless I'm misreading what you wrote?

J
I have never own/seen a slash up close. Although I just rebuilt my XXX and I ran into this problem. For some reason when I rebuilt it one side binded, it took me a few trys to trouble shoot it. If I remember the hex axle that the bolt slides through; that bolt was hitting my bearing because the alum. spacer had worn over time. I had to either space it out with a shim or I switched them, don't remember exactly, I tryed alot of things.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah I kow what your talking about with the shims, it can deffently turn into a pain in the butt!

J
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
Yeah I'm a little confused as well, I've heard the terms "spindle" and "knuckle" used interchangeably to define the manufacturing term "front steering block" (although I consider a "knuckle" an element of pillow-ball suspension, like on a Maxx). The Slash's front stub axles spin with the wheels, and the wheelbearings are housed in the spindle. The stub axle takes a cross pin, the cross pin keys to a hex, and the hex keys to the wheel.

On Associated 2WD chassis the stub axle was keyed to the spindle itself with a hex, and the wheelbearings actually stayed with the wheel, making the axle motionless as the wheel turned.

But going back to the original post, yeah it sounds like you just have your wheel nut on a little tight. Don't be afraid to back it off a little bit, that's exactly why we use locknuts on wheels
Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
But going back to the original post, yeah it sounds like you just have your wheel nut on a little tight. Don't be afraid to back it off a little bit, that's exactly why we use locknuts on wheels
True.
Also, when was the last time you cleaned your bearings?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

J

Yeap, they look pretty close in design to me:

SLASH

Losi BK

Last edited by y2kgtp; 03-20-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
Yeap, they look pretty close in design to me:
Yup that's just how I pictured it in my head when I was typing my post LOL!

Y2KGTB backing me up once again... thanks bro!

Jay
Old 03-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Yup that's just how I pictured it in my head when I was typing my post LOL!

Y2KGTB backing me up once again... thanks bro!

Jay
I thought a visual would help
Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

And for some I belive it did

Jay

P.S. you should edit and label the pics so there's no confusion, and people realize that one is a Losi and ones the Slash